Here come Matchbox 20

Let us know where you are playing (and give us free tickets)

Moderator: Capt. Black

Some Bozo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Some Bozo »

philipnz wrote:p.s. i'm going to matchbox 20. i like their music
i've also got tickets to BDO, Bon Jovi, Rod Stewart and the Foo's
Matchbox 20 will not give you any idea at all of how the real thing sounds. They are to rock what inflatable dolls are to women :D

rocklander
no offense, but I'm not a guitarist

Post by rocklander »

I don't think she's from auckland. I suspect she's a brit. did BVs for pink floyd on the pulse album/tour/thingy. had a hit (#1) in the 80s with "stop". as good as you think she may look, she's even better vocalist.. one hell of a husky sultry voice on her. I preferred her as a blonde, but then I like blondes so no surprise there.

I'm not going to matchbox 20, but I'm agreeing with philip there.. I like their music too. far from easy phrasing on rob's vox, and tells a good story. saw one of their live dvds (unplugged maybe?) and it was very good.
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 608 times
Been liked: 946 times

Post by foal30 »

no,

I see the TV advertisement for the concert and found its sense of urgency very humorous, much as I suspect Mr Brown would. I guess the sense of promotion was akin to the concert you have waited all your life for, and it made me think the complete opposite.

still I'm sure those going will enjoy it immensely.

Gelato
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Gelato »

:lol: So much love for Matchbox 20...

I've got my ticket, $120 well spent. Can't wait to see them, one of my all time favorite bands. Hard to believe, I know.
My web site
My band's site

NZRS-Dave wrote:I can help with that cos I read something somewhere about it.

Marshall
Fender
Fender

Post by Marshall »

I can't believe anyone actually *likes* Matchbox 20 let alone rates them as one of their favourite band :shock: To each their own I guess.

Clarky
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 9 times

Post by Clarky »

Gelato wrote::lol: So much love for Matchbox 20...

I've got my ticket, $120 well spent. Can't wait to see them, one of my all time favorite bands. Hard to believe, I know.
As a fellow Satchophile I value your opinion, and I also like M20, but $120... hmmm..... :?

Crazy Horse
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Crazy Horse »

Do you all have to come far to get to the gig?

I can't believe a site of guitarists is full of people who are AMPED for Matchbox 20 and Nickelback. Surely Matchbox20 are what you get when you tick every box on the "generic rock" checklist.

Good looking white boy singer? Check.
All songs in G, utilising G, C D, Em and that's about it? Check.
Rockin' but not too rockin' Fender guitars into twins and AC30s? Check.
Chorus played 100 times per song to ensure "catchiness"? Check.
Ambiguous, non-offensive name.

As for fucking Nickelback:
http://www.thewebshite.net/nickelback.htm
Trust me, this is worth waiting for. Nickelback are the most formulaic rocktards on the whole The Rock FM playlist and that's saying something.
Here's the formula:

Acoustic intro/verse, four chords.

Chorus (full band in), four chords.

Verse 2 (acoustic guitar and/or clean electric)
last line vocals only (other instruments dropped out)

Chorus

Bridge (same or similar chords to verse, but on full power)

Chorus (done in same style as verse - light electric/acoustic plus band)
Chorus (full band in)

Bridge (half length)

Note that Kroeger bludgeons us with twice as many choruses as verses, ensuring those things stick in your brain for all time.

Marshall
Fender
Fender

Post by Marshall »

Wow Crazy Horse. That has to be the first post I've seen from you that I find:

1) Correct and\or valid
2) Funny

Keep 'em coming! :D

Some Bozo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Some Bozo »

If you're going to Matchbox 20, see if you can borrow Tsuken's telescope to look for talent...

Gelato
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Gelato »

:lol: :lol: Ah you guys... :P

The reason I like Matchbox 20, I think, is the fact that they were the main band I listened to at a very formulative time in my life, and that gives me a very high opinion of them whether it's mentally or musically. It's like, for me, listening to Pearl Jam's Ten album, so many of the songs in there remind me of some very important moments in my younger years. M20 is also one of the few bands that I remember lyrics to a lot of their songs, and also one of the few bands that I can listen to their CD's more than once in a week and not get sick of them.
EDIT: That's all a bit deep really, and normally I'm about as deep as a puddle. I'm really trashing my "rep" here aren't I :lol:

I don't like them for the guitar playing though :)

Where's Rog to jump in and tell us all that music is about what you like and not how talented or not a band is? :roll:

As for Nickelback though, if they are opening, I'm going to be late for the show ;)

I apologise in advance for being a sell out to "the man" :)
Clarky wrote:As a fellow Satchophile I value your opinion, and I also like M20, but $120... hmmm..... :?
I actually didn't realise that it was going to cost that much, someone else got my ticket for me and then told me the price. I would still have paid that much though even though it's criminally expensive. I'll offset the shame by making sure I get the most expensive ticket I can when/if Satch comes back here next year ;)

Right, I'm off to practice some sweep picking... :twisted:
My web site
My band's site

NZRS-Dave wrote:I can help with that cos I read something somewhere about it.

stuu
PRS McCarty
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by stuu »

gold, pure gold.

i wish someone would do it with oasis... though i suppose you can only do it to two songs at a time, not 200.
PlukkyBoy wrote:My ability as a guitar player is easily outstripped by my abilities as a guitar buyer

Clarky
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 9 times

Post by Clarky »

Gelato wrote:I actually didn't realise that it was going to cost that much, someone else got my ticket for me and then told me the price. I would still have paid that much though even though it's criminally expensive. I'll offset the shame by making sure I get the most expensive ticket I can when/if Satch comes back here next year ;)

Right, I'm off to practice some sweep picking... :twisted:
It's ok, in a few weeks I'm seeing Joe Cocker $158 (with Hammond Gamble & Midge Marsden) on the Saturday, and Bon Jovi $250 the next. :oops:

Crazy Horse
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Crazy Horse »

Marshall wrote:Wow Crazy Horse. That has to be the first post I've seen from you that I find:

1) Correct and\or valid
2) Funny

I just prefer to be incorrect and lame most of the time.

rocklander
no offense, but I'm not a guitarist

Post by rocklander »

Crazy Horse wrote:
Marshall wrote:Wow Crazy Horse. That has to be the first post I've seen from you that I find:

1) Correct and\or valid
2) Funny

I just prefer to be incorrect and lame most of the time.
hold on there buddy... that's my gig! :wink:
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 608 times
Been liked: 946 times

Post by foal30 »

good to see some laughing
as opposed to being too serious

as far as lame I like 4 cuts of the new Prince album and I still listen to Journey's "don't stop believing" so I can't cast stones...