The concert event of the year - A Night of the Blues

Let us know where you are playing (and give us free tickets)

Moderator: Capt. Black

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 174 times
Been liked: 257 times

Post by Capt. Black »

I had a couple of gigs to go to including this one so here's a quick run down.

The Jukes have been rehearsing at The Manor for the last couple months but I hadn't had a chance to see them live yet. My bad. I know how good they are from rehearsals but I've been hearing reports from their live gigs that say they ratchet up a few notches and turn on a killer performance.
They opened the show last night. Modest but appreciative crowd at that point but I have to say, The Jukes were damned fine. They inhabit the Chicago blues as if they lived in the suburbs and visited the clubs and bars of their heroes every week. ;)
Forum members Bluebass and StrayFalcon kind of run the show from opposite ends of the stage. Between them reside vocalist Mark, drummer Gavin and guitarist Andy.
Mark's gravelly vocals and blues harp are perfect for the sound. Shit he's good. Gavin, a big burly guy, is notable for having the smallest drum kit on earth. I mean it's tiny. I've seen snares bigger than his kick drum. But shit he's good. Andy Sweetman lives up to his name on guitar. Just effortless. Strat and fender blues deville sounding right on and given a lift now and then by his custom FuzZiebRo boost pedal.
Bluesbass brings a big tight bottom end to the sound. ;)
Strayfalcon is always remarkably restrained for most of the performance but when he cuts loose on lead he is truly otherworldly. The bastard!
:evil:

Highlight of their set was an original composition which proved there is still plenty of scope in blues for new and exciting material. More of the same boys. Back yourselves boys. For my money that was the best, freshest song in your repertoire.

Next up was Midnight Blues band.
BG, DC and Recycledpet on bass. The power trio of NZG. :D
RP as always, is a rock. Solid bass lines and reminding BG how each song starts. A legend. But what is it with bass players and hats? ;)
Legendary also is DC on guitar. That guy is all class. Tasty lead and remarkable sound from a Rockit amp and a Boss ME-50 multi effects pedal (?). Must be the vintage strat. Hehe. :P:
BG finally wheeled out the Bomardier home kill amp rig. It actually looks bloody impressive. Just two identical boxes stacked together. No visible controls. In all honesty I don't know what he's worried about. It sounded bloody brilliant to me...even with a strat! A really thick, warm tone. Pretty original too. Doesn't sound like a clone of anything. Shit hot.
As for performance, BG seems to start a bit tentatively which is a shame. His vocals are one of his best assets and his guitar work is frequently inspired. It's just a shame that it takes a few songs before he finds his footing. Dude you're BG (Bloody Good). Back yourself brother. Start with a bang. Then play a song.... :)

Had to leave at that stage so I could catch the debut of another Manor band featuring forum member Machina. These boys have been rehearsing at The Manor since it opened but only recently pulled together a full line up with a regular drummer and in the last few weeks, a worthy vocalist.
No name so far. They have a rep as the second loudest band at The Manor! But what a sound! Deliciously riff heavy songs. Musically, one of the most exciting things I've heard in a while. Tasty guitar work from Machina and his writing partner James (a giant of a man). Great Marshall stack assault. The rhythm section are reminiscent of the first gulf war with a better sound track. New vocalist Owen is a sonic assault in his own right. Honestly, he can be heard over the band un-mic-ed! :lol:

Watch out for these guys. As soon as they get a name I hope to put them on a decent stage some time in the new year. Yep that means The Manor has thoughts of running some gigs at venues about the place.

Anyway, sorry I couldn't see Darcy and the other band at the Greenhithe show. Hopefully someone can fill us in on that half of the gig. I hope it was a fundraising success.

machina
Tokai
Tokai

Post by machina »

Our first review! :o :wink:

Cheers Capt. much appreciated. Glad you made it.

How's the interpretive dance routine? :wink: :lol:

dc
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 141 times

Post by dc »

Thanks Cap'n, damn fine review. Fantastic night! I've got to say again what a pleasure it was to work with ALL the musos last night. The last Blues concert was less than harmonious at times, but this one was A BLAST!. Adam and the lads in the Jukes, Paul AKA Spaceman and the lads in The Dusters, and Darcy's crew were just amazing. Thanks Guys.

I was really looking forward to hearing the Dusters, after hearing a lot of Paul's solo stuff, and I wsn't disappointed. An eclectic selection of songs, with Paul's vocal and guitar stamp on them, and then out of left field comes James with some of the slickest shredding this side of the black stump. Who is this guy? If you get a chance to check them out grab it.

I was also looking forward to hearing the Jukes. A magic blend of traditional blues with Adams not-so-traditional guitar work. Fantastic.

dc
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 141 times

Post by dc »

Darcy came on and worked the crowd mercilessly, until they were putty in his hands, in spite of having a last minute drummer, no harp, and noise control hanging around. The man is all class, and a great guy to boot.

The Midnight Blues Band? We're getting there :D

Watch this space 'cos there's a free outdoor one in Feb.

BTW, I only use the ME50 for the tuner :D

Honest :D

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 174 times
Been liked: 257 times

Post by Capt. Black »

machina wrote:Our first review! :o :wink:

:P

Don't push it (ya little cock).

;)

bluesbass
Gibson

Post by bluesbass »

Thanks Capt. Black for the kind words (can we quote you on that?) and to DC for inviting us.

We had a fantastic night and loved every minute of it... can't wait for the next one!
The opinions expressed in the post above may differ from the opinions expressed by other people with different opinions.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2276 times
Been liked: 3991 times

Post by Bg »

cheers matey, for some reason it took me awhile to really get into it on saturday, I think its partly due to the awful sound on that stage - it's got horrendous natural reverb. I couldn't really hear my vocals or guitar at some points, this was helped a little when James stopped standing in front of my amp! I should have cranked it louder I guess :lol: All the other guys played well :)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

RobRoyMcCoy
PRS
PRS
Has liked: 194 times
Been liked: 45 times

Post by RobRoyMcCoy »

Capt. Black wrote:
machina wrote:Our first review! :o :wink:

:P

Don't push it (ya little cock).

;)
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Greenstone Amplifiers

jimi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 856 times
Been liked: 361 times

Post by jimi »

bluesgeek wrote:I think its partly due to the awful sound on that stage - it's got horrendous natural reverb. I couldn't really hear my vocals or guitar at some points, this was helped a little when James stopped standing in front of my amp! I should have cranked it louder I guess :lol: All the other guys played well :)
Just to be contrary I could actually hear everything really well on stage, vocals, guitar, drums and bass ... the whole lot. You must have had your amp down low BG cos usually I can't handle standing too close to that thing.

Cheers for the kinda words Capt.

Great set from the Jukes, and good to meet you guys. Hope we get to gig with you guys again some time. Enjoyed the Dusters stuff too. Didn't hang around long enough to see Darcy, but I'm sure he was as good as he always is.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

it was pretty low, dc said people were complaining so I turned mine down....
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

STRAYFALCON
Stagg
Stagg

A nite oF Blues

Post by STRAYFALCON »

The Dusters,Darcy Perry,Midnight Blues band ....... what can I say class acts great bands a real pleasure and privilege to work with, well brutha BG I must say ya all looked sharp sounded great and am pleased I made it to the show , very tasty gat work from both you and DC and a great power house rythmn section great stuff! If any of the forum get a chance .... go check out these bands !

STRAYFALCON

spaceman
Stagg
Stagg

Post by spaceman »

Lordy! That was a night out!! We had a ball! Thanks to DC for inviting us along: the Dusters had a good time..Cheers dude! We decided at the last minute to change the setlist to include some outposts of our blues rep' to mix it up a bit, especially as I was able to bring 'Stunt-James'; our secret weapon along at short notice! Was great to see all the other bands in action.. I reckon The Midnights' did a great job & have really come on since last year! I didn't get to hear the Jukes, but Darcy was a class act.. Nice show Dude! Good tunes too! Nice to meet up with y'all again, & a pleasure to play alongside.. Good BUZZ
cosmonaught twang terrorist

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

pleasure to have you there mate, you and the band were sounding fantastic :)

spaceman
Stagg
Stagg

Post by spaceman »

Hey BG.. Cheers man! Had great fun, & got to play my (what Sandy Duster-Bass calls:) '70s Orphans'.. A Diplomat Tele custom & my Hot-Rodded Kasuga strat I've had since I was about 14!! A combined value of about 4hundy?! The Les Paul was hovering on its stand waiting for a broken string but no...
cosmonaught twang terrorist

bluesbass
Gibson

Post by bluesbass »

It's not every day you hear Take Me To The River at a blues fest, but it was bloody good!
The opinions expressed in the post above may differ from the opinions expressed by other people with different opinions.