When they give a toss

Let us know where you are playing (and give us free tickets)

Moderator: Capt. Black

GrantB
ADMIN
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1377 times
Been liked: 2107 times

When they give a toss

Post by GrantB »

Isn't it nice when the wedding or do or whatever you're playing at is set up nice? This is a wedding a few weeks back and they had a great backdrop for us, nice carpet and of course, beers. It's a great start to a gig when you walk in and see that they actually gave a toss.

Got any examples?
Attachments
backdrop.jpg
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 675 times
Been liked: 574 times

Re: When they give a toss

Post by TmcB »

Is that a London?
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1377 times
Been liked: 2107 times

Post by GrantB »

London Pro head...Marshall 1974x with a Blue inside. Great compact gigging rig as long as one doesn't cane the Blue too hard.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Benrocky
Gibson

Post by Benrocky »

I could safely say my wedding. We hired a great covers band and was conscience of making it comfortable for them. Even though we had such a small dance floor, we did the best we could with such limited space.

After all if you treat them right, they in turn will give there best performance.
RuBear wrote:
You mean that it's ME that's responsible for you coming here? I'm feel sincerely guilty for putting the rest of you sods through the experience that is Benrocky.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/69250680@N07/

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

That looks cool.
I have instructed my bass player (who looks after our bookings) that is he takes weddings, he need to find another guitarist for that gig, 'cos I've done way too many of them and enjoyed almost none of them.
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

angry_young_poet
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 14 times

Post by angry_young_poet »

that is cool

been to a lot of weddings over the past year and the space for the band has always been quite cramped. mostly to do with the venue not really made for that sort of thing.

Unique / Rog what are your band's names and areas you would go to? I often get asked about entertainment and so far have helped rocklander secure a gig.

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

they tried to make it look like janes addiction or U2 were playing...... :lol: :lol: nice
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

Basket Case
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 108 times

Post by Basket Case »

If I had one wish it would be to never play another wedding.

Your typical wedding gig usually consists of the following joys:

-Not nearly enough space
-No time to soundcheck

-Organisers who never considered the possibility that:
It could rain.
Bands require a source of electricity
Bands use heavy equipment and want to be able to get their vehicles within a km of the venue.

-Dickhead guests who:

Shout at you to start playing before you've even had time to carry all the equipment in
After too many drinks invite themselves on stage to shout into your microphone
Think the best time to try to talk to you is while you're playing... usually during a solo.
Shout out the same request all night long and don't understand why you don't know that song that goes DAH NAH BOOM NAAAH!
Continue to shout out the same request even after you've played it.
Think you're an unreasonable prick when you decline their offer of $50 for your 4 piece band to play an extra hour.
Won't get the fuck out of your way while you're trying to carry gear in or out.
Think nothing of taking a shortcut through the band while they're playing to exit the marquee

I'm sure there are many more I've forgotten/block out.

Edit: How could I forget; the elderly guests constantly complaining you're too loud.
Last edited by Basket Case on Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

Wow. From that list, it seems that my band has played some very NICE weddings in the past couple of years. In fact we've mostly been playing weddings for the past 6-8 months, and it's always been a really good experience. Easy setup, ample soundcheck time, non-douchey guests/couple.
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 417 times
Been liked: 1017 times

Post by bender »

One of the best gigs I've ever played was a wedding. The fact that we were playing instrumental funk probably eliminated most of the listed complaints.

Pakehendrix
Big Muff

Post by Pakehendrix »

We played a wedding?

twistedthoughts
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 7 times

Post by twistedthoughts »

slash-ed wrote:Wow. From that list, it seems that my band has played some very NICE weddings in the past couple of years. In fact we've mostly been playing weddings for the past 6-8 months, and it's always been a really good experience. Easy setup, ample soundcheck time, non-douchey guests/couple.
Yeah bro - same here. I love weddings. I get the occasional horror one like BC is talking about, but most are awesome. I must admit though, there have been so many times where we've walked into a venue and had somebody say "...and you guys will go here..." while pointing to a 30cm x 30cm tile on the floor.

Those dickhead guests are everywhere though, not just at weddings. I had some dude come up to me on Saturday after we finished playing and say "Hey...hey man...cyan I plthay on the jrums for a bit?". I was like "Hey man...NO!!!" :evil: .

I don't like people touching our shit. If you knew how valuable our gear was, you wouldn't want to touch it. Also, any decent muso knows that you get invited to play, you don't invite yourself. Case in point - at one wedding one of the groom's friends declares that he wants to play a song for the bride and groom. The other guitarist in the band knew him so handed over his guitar. We watched (from the bar :mrgreen: ) as the whole room was subjected to the intro to Flake by Jack Johnson...oh, wait, I don't know the rest...ummm...then the intro to Redemption Song...oh, can't remember how that one goes...the intro to Betterman...ah, can't sing and play that at the same time...

...and on it went until the groom's uncle stood up and loudly booed the guy off stage. :lol: Oh well, made us look good.

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 171 times
Been liked: 255 times

Post by Capt. Black »

At my wedding we had the mc announce that people were free to sit at whichever table they want, but that there would be a band and dj. So if you were old or wanted to have a conversation, don't choose a table next to the dance floor. :lol:

Hot_Grits
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Hot_Grits »

benderissimo wrote:One of the best gigs I've ever played was a wedding. The fact that we were playing instrumental funk probably eliminated most of the listed complaints.
Yeah, my limited experience od wedding gigs was pretty cushy for similar reasons. Well, add vocals and afrobeat.

We did get in a bit of trouble with some old folk back when Barnie was going through his kick drum humping phase...
jeremyb wrote: Is it true about the bum sex before marriage thing being ok?

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

we just had a stereo at our wedding...screw these bloody muso's :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be