G'N'F'N'R'S NZ Tour

Let us know where you are playing (and give us free tickets)

Moderator: Capt. Black

Polar Bear
Burns BHM
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 340 times
Been liked: 342 times

Re: G'N'F'N'R'S NZ Tour

Post by Polar Bear »

hamo wrote:
Axl changed his outfit about 6 times, which is about 5 times less than Slash and Fortus changed guitars. Slash rocked a couple of LPs, a Mock and 2 Bichs, an 18 string SG and what looked to be a double neck Schecter maybe - the shape reminded me of a Tempest, but I'm not confident on that. Fortus seemed to be more in the Gretsch camp, but apart from a White Falcon, I was less confident identifying his guitars. Duff stuck with the same bass all night, with a Prince symbol decal on the body.
BTW: those Fortus guitars that aren't Gretsch are Scala Guitars.
Zephyr - Wellington's Leading Covers Band

http://zephyrband.co.nz/
https://www.facebook.com/ZephyrBandNZ

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 632 times
Been liked: 802 times

Post by hamo »

Polar Bear wrote:Seemed to hit pretty much everything, and 'This I Love' from Chinese Democracy requires some unbelievable chops to pull off, especially live.
I felt like he nailed the CD stuff completely, I felt like it wasn't so much not hitting what he went for, more not going for some notes - and I'm only really talking a couple. The fast tracks like Mr Brownstone was where he seemed like it wasn't as easy to keep up, but he also seemed to warm up after that. Like I say, I struggled to hear the vocals a bit, so you'd have a better idea than I would. :)
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by hamo »

Polar Bear wrote:
hamo wrote:
Axl changed his outfit about 6 times, which is about 5 times less than Slash and Fortus changed guitars. Slash rocked a couple of LPs, a Mock and 2 Bichs, an 18 string SG and what looked to be a double neck Schecter maybe - the shape reminded me of a Tempest, but I'm not confident on that. Fortus seemed to be more in the Gretsch camp, but apart from a White Falcon, I was less confident identifying his guitars. Duff stuck with the same bass all night, with a Prince symbol decal on the body.
The vaguely 335 shaped one with no f-holes that looked really relic'd round the edges?

Polar Bear
Burns BHM

Post by Polar Bear »

hamo wrote:
Polar Bear wrote:Seemed to hit pretty much everything, and 'This I Love' from Chinese Democracy requires some unbelievable chops to pull off, especially live.
I felt like he nailed the CD stuff completely, I felt like it wasn't so much not hitting what he went for, more not going for some notes - and I'm only really talking a couple. The fast tracks like Mr Brownstone was where he seemed like it wasn't as easy to keep up, but he also seemed to warm up after that. Like I say, I struggled to hear the vocals a bit, so you'd have a better idea than I would. :)
I'd give him 95 out of 100. Maybe my expectations were lower, but yeah, he was pretty high in our mix, and he was on the money.

Polar Bear
Burns BHM

Post by Polar Bear »

hamo wrote:
Polar Bear wrote:
hamo wrote:
The vaguely 335 shaped one with no f-holes that looked really relic'd round the edges?
Yep, along with the tiger stripe and Cherry LP shaped gats. I think he had a Trussart too at one point.

Sanctuary
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by Sanctuary »

(Slash's guitars) That quilted green Bich was to die for. I'd love to know the year, looked like a Badass bridge. Great to see the red Floyded Mockingbird again (I have a '96!) - walnut stringers rather than ebony. Oh and the red Bich with diamond inlays is incredibly rare. Can't wait to see the details of these guitars released to the world in Matt Touchard's up-coming Vintage BC Rich book.

Oh and yes, that was definitely a double-neck black Guild custom :)

Wasn't a fan and bought tickets on a whim. Left thoroughly astounded and glad I went. The weather actually made it more fun if that (weirdly) makes sense. Sound faded in and out but can be expected with the weather. Wish You Were Here was freaking incredible. Will check out Wolfmother too - never heard them but reminded me of classic Sabbath.
A play on words, or words on play
Last chapter, verse in the final act
Words well scripted, each sentence choking
Inaudible gag, blanket which suffocates
As you eat another's words
Malnourished, you starve.

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by hamo »

Sanctuary wrote:(Slash's guitars) That quilted green Bich was to die for. I'd love to know the year, looked like a Badass bridge. Great to see the red Floyded Mockingbird again (I have a '96!) - walnut stringers rather than ebony. Oh and the red Bich with diamond inlays is incredibly rare. Can't wait to see the details of these guitars released to the world in Matt Touchard's up-coming Vintage BC Rich book.

Wasn't a fan and bought tickets on a whim. Left thoroughly astounded and glad I went. The weather actually made it more fun if that (weirdly) makes sense. Sound faded in and out but can be expected with the weather. Wish You Were Here was freaking incredible. Will check out Wolfmother too - never heard them but reminded me of classic Sabbath.
Someone here used to have a Stealth with that green quilt, and yup, so so hot. 8)

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 661 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

hamo wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:(Slash's guitars) That quilted green Bich was to die for. I'd love to know the year, looked like a Badass bridge. Great to see the red Floyded Mockingbird again (I have a '96!) - walnut stringers rather than ebony. Oh and the red Bich with diamond inlays is incredibly rare. Can't wait to see the details of these guitars released to the world in Matt Touchard's up-coming Vintage BC Rich book.

Someone here used to have a Stealth with that green quilt, and yup, so so hot. 8)
Yeah despite most people thinking of BC Rich as a pointy, stabby guitar maker for guys in Slayer or WASP, they do actually make some guitars that would give a high-end PRS a run for it's money.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

Sanctuary
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Sanctuary »

hamo wrote:

Yeah, I'm not sure who that was... :crazy:

Anyway, seeing Slash run the talk-box was super-cool too.

Sanctuary
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Sanctuary »

Danger Mouse wrote: Yeah despite most people thinking of BC Rich as a pointy, stabby guitar maker for guys in Slayer or WASP, they do actually make some guitars that would give a high-end PRS a run for it's money.
Yep, hence why I can't wait to see Matt's book. Actually, I'm kind of worried because then all the fuckers will realise what they're missing out on and send the vintage market into overdrive.

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Danger Mouse »

Sanctuary wrote:
Danger Mouse wrote: Yeah despite most people thinking of BC Rich as a pointy, stabby guitar maker for guys in Slayer or WASP, they do actually make some guitars that would give a high-end PRS a run for it's money.
Yep, hence why I can't wait to see Matt's book. Actually, I'm kind of worried because then all the fuckers will realise what they're missing out on and send the vintage market into overdrive.
Yeah definitely, they're at the "expensive, but at a stretch, if I was really keen and I really wanted it..." levels now, if the collectors realise how good they can be, that will be over in seconds.

HappyEnding
Ashton
Ashton
Been liked: 46 times

Post by HappyEnding »

Fark! I'm belatedly feeling enthused to attend the Auckland gig and all the cheap seats appear to be sold out. A few days ago it was $160 for 2, now it's over $400 (which would need to include a foot massage, transport via cruise ship and helicopter to the gig, a case of actual Nite Train (never tried it), Duff's books (the only GNR autobios I haven't read), and a hand job from Adler for me to consider it).

Oh well. I saw the Mt Smart Stadium gig in… 1993 I think it was. Good memories. And always regretted being a smidgeon too young and numpty not to attend the Supertop gig in 88. Now I'm kicking myself over this one. Fark!

PS: great review Hamo.

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Danger Mouse »

Hour and a half into the set and I have to say, I'm fucking bored. I'm surfing NZG instead of watching the band for a start...

Sanctuary
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Sanctuary »

Sounds like my experience at Motley Crue. Found myself wishing for it to end especially after Alice Cooper's fantastic performance. Hmmm, Wellington was awesome for GnR (this from someone who is not really a "fan") but maybe the weather added to the atmosphere or something.

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Danger Mouse »

Yeah I just want to go have a beer somewhere else at the moment. Axl is screechy, Slash is sloppy and there is zero chemistry between any of the band members. They come across as a band at the end of a very long tour who just want to go home.

Quite like some of the stuff the other guitarist is doing though, he's got some cool chops.