G'N'F'N'R'S NZ Tour

Let us know where you are playing (and give us free tickets)

Moderator: Capt. Black

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 632 times
Been liked: 802 times

Re: G'N'F'N'R'S NZ Tour

Post by hamo »

I've come to the conclusion that you can't sit in the stands and have the same amount of fun as you would in the pit. I fucking loved Motley Crue last year, because I was in the pit with a bunch of sweaty drunk strangers who were just stoked to be there. I enjoyed GnR, but it was more of a detached "hey this is cool". Had I been in the $630 pit, I would be raving about the gig right now, instead of just being impressed and satisfied.
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by hamo »

Sanctuary wrote:Yeah, I'm not sure who that was... :crazy:
Ah, so that was yours then. Give me a break, I'm old and my memory is going.

Anyway, beautiful guitar. I forgot it was yours. Give me a break, I'm old and my memory is going.

:oops: :wink:

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

hamo wrote:I've come to the conclusion that you can't sit in the stands and have the same amount of fun as you would in the pit. I fucking loved Motley Crue last year, because I was in the pit with a bunch of sweaty drunk strangers who were just stoked to be there. I enjoyed GnR, but it was more of a detached "hey this is cool". Had I been in the $630 pit, I would be raving about the gig right now, instead of just being impressed and satisfied.
I think this is bang on ... I was in the adult seats for both motley and sabbath and it just felt like I was missing out on being at a metal gig. I great for actually listening but you do feel a bit detached for sure. Was perfect at the Eagles because I could send the wife out to the bar so I could keep drinking :clap:
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

Sanctuary
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by Sanctuary »

hamo wrote:I've come to the conclusion that you can't sit in the stands and have the same amount of fun as you would in the pit. I fucking loved Motley Crue last year, because I was in the pit with a bunch of sweaty drunk strangers who were just stoked to be there. I enjoyed GnR, but it was more of a detached "hey this is cool". Had I been in the $630 pit, I would be raving about the gig right now, instead of just being impressed and satisfied.
Maybe the sound was ok in the pits, but I couldn't understand a single thing Mr Neil said. The sound was like high-bit, low-bit, high-bit - is he soloing? I can't hear shit. Haha. But yeah, I'm too old for pit stuff these days. My last pit experience was probably Immortal or Amon Amarth... :crazy:
A play on words, or words on play
Last chapter, verse in the final act
Words well scripted, each sentence choking
Inaudible gag, blanket which suffocates
As you eat another's words
Malnourished, you starve.

Sanctuary
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Sanctuary »

willow13 wrote:
I think this is bang on ... I was in the adult seats for both motley and sabbath and it just felt like I was missing out on being at a metal gig. I great for actually listening but you do feel a bit detached for sure. Was perfect at the Eagles because I could send the wife out to the bar so I could keep drinking :clap:
Nah, you can have your cognac, smoke a pipe and wear your slippers whilst these monkeys dance in front of you. Totally civilised. I see what you're saying though. You feel like you're watching a DVD or something...

Sanctuary
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Sanctuary »

hamo wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:Yeah, I'm not sure who that was... :crazy:
Ah, so that was yours then. Give me a break, I'm old and my memory is going.

Anyway, beautiful guitar. I forgot it was yours. Give me a break, I'm old and my memory is going.

:oops: :wink:
Yeah, tell me about it. It wasn't till you brought it up that I remembered I had it. Now where did I put it again? Oh that's right...under the bed ;) :crazy: :lol:

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 661 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

I'm quite happy to sit in the cheap seats these days, with good access to the toilets and the bar area. I was in the Gold section on Sat and about halfway through my back was killing me, my feet were killing me, I'd hurt my knee and one of my shoulders in a horrific standing around accident. I'm just too fecking old...

Plus I spent most of my early 20s in London going to as many gigs as I could, I've had way more than my share of being up the front, in a mosh pit, stage diving etc., so not bothered about it now.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by hamo »

Danger Mouse wrote:I'm quite happy to sit in the cheap seats these days, with good access to the toilets and the bar area. I was in the Gold section on Sat and about halfway through my back was killing me, my feet were killing me, I'd hurt my knee and one of my shoulders in a horrific standing around accident. I'm just too fecking old...

Plus I spent most of my early 20s in London going to as many gigs as I could, I've had way more than my share of being up the front, in a mosh pit, stage diving etc., so not bothered about it now.
This is kind of my philosophy too, but without the London part. Thing is, when I do it, unless it's a show of Maiden-esque proportions, I just feel like I'm not getting the experience that makes live music special for me. I am legit too old for it, but that's starting to be half the fun... :mrgreen:

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

For me it depends on the band, if it's mogwai or jakob or similar where the crowd won't be raucous and pushy then I'm right in the front row, on the stage, if it's a heavy band then I'm pretty much at the back of the moshpit, don't really like being bumped into constantly when I'm trying to enjoy the music :)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Sanctuary
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Sanctuary »

jeremyb wrote:For me it depends on the band, if it's mogwai or jakob or similar where the crowd won't be raucous and pushy then I'm right in the front row, on the stage, if it's a heavy band then I'm pretty much at the back of the moshpit, don't really like being bumped into constantly when I'm trying to enjoy the music :)
Totally understand. When I was up front for Taytay and Beiber, I just felt so dirty constantly being rubbed on by pubescent girls. Never again. :rofl:

null_pointer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 410 times

Post by null_pointer »

For me it's the band. I'm front row on Tues and Thurs next week for Simple Minds in Akl and Chch respectively :)
Same for the Pumpkins

But I sat in the stands for Motley, Maiden etc. I'm too old for the pit there!

Delayman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 227 times

Post by Delayman »

Sanctuary wrote:
jeremyb wrote:For me it depends on the band, if it's mogwai or jakob or similar where the crowd won't be raucous and pushy then I'm right in the front row, on the stage, if it's a heavy band then I'm pretty much at the back of the moshpit, don't really like being bumped into constantly when I'm trying to enjoy the music :)
Totally understand. When I was up front for Taytay and Beiber, I just felt so dirty constantly being rubbed on by pubescent girls. Never again. :rofl:
One year when Soundgarden played Big Day Out all these young girls ran into the mosh pit - not realising how hot it was, and how tall the dudes were.

I felt this pain on my back and though somebody was grabbing me. Turns out a young girl was passing out - and in her panic had bitten me so hard I had to pull her face off my back. I passed her out of the crowd, but ended up with a massive bite mark and bruise on my back. Lucky I remembered to mention the story to my wife before she saw it. Would have been awkward..."Oh yeah, that.."
They keep telling me tone is in the fingers, but I have yet to see a "look at my fingers" thread.
Lawrence wrote: Every orchestra that comes thru here is a covers band as are most of the jazz bands...

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 415 times
Been liked: 1010 times

Post by bender »

Danger Mouse wrote:I'm quite happy to sit in the cheap seats these days, with good access to the toilets and the bar area. I was in the Gold section on Sat and about halfway through my back was killing me, my feet were killing me, I'd hurt my knee and one of my shoulders in a horrific standing around accident. I'm just too fecking old...

So less Mosh pit and more Nosh pit now?

sty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 207 times
Been liked: 264 times

Post by sty »

null_pointer wrote: But I sat in the stands for Motley, Maiden etc. I'm too old for the pit there!
I'm a massive Maiden fan but I'm really no good at the pits for massive rock bands I just feel I'm going to die. Managed to get the front row in front of Dave Murray at the Maiden Shepherds Bush warm up before Rock In Rio but wouldn't have wanted to be 3 rows behind myself though.

What finished me off was Reading Festival in 2005 literally a couple of weeks before I came here. I'd been down quite close to the front during Marilyn Manson and when Maiden came on found myself bumped to about the 5th Row right in the middle. I lasted a few songs and decided I'd had enough and started to walk back out, took three steps and they launched into The Trooper, I thought I was going to die! I'm just not cut out for it any more I think.

Even the pit at at MachineHead and BLS in Christchurch recently was bad enough.

Polar Bear
Burns BHM
Has liked: 340 times
Been liked: 342 times

Post by Polar Bear »

werdna wrote:Ed nailed it. No love between them on stage. No joyful vibes for Axl or Duff, just a determination to do the show well. Slash cut the figure of an outlier, often on the edge of the stage, head down, deep into his playing. And he was in top form. He showed nice finger picking to add to his already wide vocab of styles. Fortis has awesome chops but not in the deep vein of classic rock mined by Slash.

Axl put to rest any doubt that he is a hell of a good singer. Axl's vocal range is pretty much good for any key. You can only say that about a few of the greats. Imagine Bruce Springsteen trying to sing any of the set list last night. Full marks for the cover of "The Seeker" by the Who - a tasteful choice of an overlooked but great rocker from 1968.

Axl wore a lot of very vulgar rings, and when the camera focussed on his piano hands in September Rain, I thought I was at a concert by the late Liberace. Axl also kept changing his tee shirts and the lumberjack shirts that he wears tied around his waste as a kind of blue collar rock star accessory - not because he was worried it might get cold out. While I liked Duff's tee shirt message "No fucks given", to live that attitude you can't be working for the man - but if I won the lottery etc.

Now the guitars. Fortis generally played some big ugly things based on classic designs but with a pawn shop makeover. However he had a really nice 59 reissue, with a huge tasteful top. Slash's double necks were lovely to behold. Slash's green LP and the AFD LP were beauties, but his ugly LP plaintops held the day. In contrast to the beauty of his playing, his main guitar was a three piece top reliced turd coloured piece of butt ugliness. Stick that up your pipe, plain top lovers.
That ugly three top is his original '87 LP (copy) from the AFD days, it's just faded, as real bursts do.
Zephyr - Wellington's Leading Covers Band

http://zephyrband.co.nz/
https://www.facebook.com/ZephyrBandNZ