The WBC, Amperzahn + more NYE @ Kings Arms

Let us know where you are playing (and give us free tickets)

Moderator: Capt. Black

Optimus_prime
Tokai
Tokai
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Post by Optimus_prime »

the rabble annoy me more then
months worth of chafing

o rly?

darkness
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by darkness »

Kristie_Amperzahn wrote:

Anyway, was a fun gig. Was hung over the next day. Kayaked round goat islands. Felt like crap.

:wink:
true rock star style I see :P
AFK.

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

I was meaning to review the gig too, but got distracted by something surely foul.

I arrived about half way through Farmer Pimp's set. I was expecting some Southside gangstas, but there were none. Thankfully. Farmer Pimp are REALLY good. Check out their Myspace page for proof. Very relaxing afternoon type music. Hardly any punters there at that point. Most of them were related to Kristie ;)

The Dust is a gritty 3-peice led by a youthful Lemmy Kilminster weilding a Yammy semi-archtop like Terexgeek's one. They did alright considering the dodgy pedal connection randomly knocking them back to a two-peice every 2 minutes. Even less people at this point. BBQ outside beats loud bogans inside.

Amperzahn were gently liquored up by the time they went on. As Kristie admitted to the crowd, "drunk enough to forget what to say, but not enough to forget what to play". Her three groupies were parked up front and centre, gazing adoringly at her through every note. The intro was a bit wobbly, but things got better through the set. The instrumental thing was way cool. Party on. More people but still broad daylight and early in the night.

The Have have been around the world and played a whole lot of gigs and it totally showed in their performance. Lead guy looks like a tall hobbit with pointy boots. Hobbit/Elf maybe. Other "chick" guitarist looked like he was going to snap a leg off with all the flailing about on the ground! I had found the sweet spot in venue by then, just outside on the bass player's side of the stage. He a Marshall 8x10 rig which was a physical experience. They sounded great and were tight as a nun's one.
Simple songs, well played and razor sharp rhythm makes for a good live show.

I've seen The Rabble on tele a few times and the concept of shiny packaged punks grates somewhat, but there's no denying they put on quite a show. Hordes of young women and more shiny punks swarmed in to see them play, so they're doing something right. Definetly a polished set and well presented. The place was pumping by this time. I had reached that happy place where beer mingles harmoniously with bloodflow and other internal functions. Amperzahnettes flitted about the place merrily.

The WBC take to the stage and WHAMMO! The place goes off like a freakin' rocket. Their live show is really something else. I wasn't fully aware of much by then other than the music and whatever was right in front of me. They were quite amazing. They played for ages too. It ruled. Amperzahnettes dancing up a storm throughout. By the end of this set there were a whole lot of really knackered looking people around. There was a whole lot of dancing going on.

The City Newton Bombers capped off the night, beginning just before midnight. These guys have done the rounds too, a really experienced and well practiced group. Matt, the front man is quintissential punk. The pork-pie hat may be a tad overkill though. ;) They went for 2.5 hours at full pace. Legends. The highlight was seeing the WBC horn section scrambling to get their gear when invited to play a song with the CNB. They couldn't get back up there fast enough. It was good, too.

The Amperzahnettes had peaked, plateauxed and flatlined before the CNB were done. Wooses. They did get a bouncer asking them to autograph their CD as they made their getaway!! :lol:

It was a totally awesome night all round. The best NYE since 2000 and it has sparked my urge to play in a band again. Must try and remember how to play ;) I walked back up the road to work to crash on the horrible air mattress. I wasn't too hungover, but woke up still pissed and had to bum around until 2pm before I felt right to go home!! Must have been a good night!
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

stuu
PRS McCarty
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by stuu »

well, as far as i can remember....

farmer pimp: was good, she's hot, even with the suicide fringe. great grooves.

the dust: well, no comment.

Ampherzhan: i was getting fairly juiced at this point so was outside untill the fingertapping cut through the venue like a chainsaw, loving it! i noticed no drunken wobbliness, but i was fairly wobbly at that point too, kudos!

cue jagermeister.

The have: well, are awesome, theres no getting past that. i drunkenly made a point of telling them so later in the night, must remember to appologise for that at some point...

cue scotch.

rabble: borderline comatosed at this stage so a drunken singalong to songs i didnt know sounded like a great idea. vaguely remember a violin. reminiscent of dropkick murphies mixed with rancid, not really my bag, but when drunk i'm easy.

WBC: dont remember much of this at all, though am told i consumed a fair amount more onstage aswell as off. got a pash in the crowd during the last song, i should take my wireless out of the house more often. rad. rock on.

city newton bombers: these guys frikkin ruled. i'm there new #1 fan.

oh, and i met Ash and Kirsty, my apologies if i owe you an apology... you both seem awesome, if at least 400% more composed than i was.

Miss Rog Jnr and i will be gracing your workshop the moment i can scrape together enough impulse purchase cash to keep the debt collectors at bay.
Last edited by stuu on Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

stuu
PRS McCarty

Post by stuu »

happy new year, all. by the way.

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

You didn't seem pissed to me and you played really well... Could be a relative thing though :lol:
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

You're related to Stu?
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

stuu
PRS McCarty

Post by stuu »

isnt everyone related in palmy?

:P
PlukkyBoy wrote:My ability as a guitar player is easily outstripped by my abilities as a guitar buyer