There was a STRAYFALCON on High St....

Let us know where you are playing (and give us free tickets)

Moderator: Capt. Black

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 170 times
Been liked: 252 times

There was a STRAYFALCON on High St....

Post by Capt. Black »

Hey all you forum people. Our very own Bro STRAYFALCON and his band Mojovibe are playing this Friday 25th May, at Deschlers Bar in High Street, Auckland.

STRAYFALCON gets a bit shy about this stuff so he won't tell anyone. But take it from me, they are effin hot. If you like blues with a killer edge to it, get in to town and see these bastards.

And it's High street on a Friday night so you know it's gonna be crawling with nubility so what more do you need to get you of the couch and into town? :D
Last edited by Capt. Black on Sun May 27, 2007 5:03 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Terexgeek
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1224 times
Been liked: 375 times

Post by Terexgeek »

As an eye witness, Strayfalcon is a great guitarist, an unashamed virtuoso capable of busting the shreds alongside power blues and rock riffology...Stratastic action to be sure! 8)

Gutted I won't be there, but I hope some of the brothers and sisters rock along...
Tin arse!!

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2269 times
Been liked: 3914 times

Post by Bg »

yeah but tomorrow would make it thursday night ;)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Capt. Black »

Long sound check.

darkness
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by darkness »

damn thats just around the corner from work.
AFK.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

what time are they playing?
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Capt. Black »

What time can you get there? Allow an hour or two for the obligatory killkenny filling ritual thing. :D

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Capt. Black »

Bump..... grind....?

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

I can get there anytime but might be driving so I'd rather not hang around for too long beforehand ;)

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Capt. Black »

Rumour has it they kick off about 10.

O'clock that is, not the volume knob. :)

machina
Tokai
Tokai

Post by machina »

Of course, that goes to 11, and starting at anything lower is unacceptable right? ;)

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Capt. Black »

'Scuse me.
Just had to bounce this up again.

As Terekskeek says, when he saw Strayfalcon play he looked like he knew his stuff but in all honesty that was little more than a drunken jam. :)

Mojovibe as a band are a whole other kettle of fish, which is why you'll forgive me if I go on about them. If you can get down to see them you won't regret it. If you can't make it, do yourself a favour and seek them out sometime.

Let me put it in context. I fancy my own band as something a bit special. I'll happily go on the bill and foot it with pretty much anyone. ;)
Before I saw Mojovibe I asked them to support us at our next gig.
Since I saw them play their debut show I'm packing myself that we'll be totally upstaged. Damn, I regret asking them now. :?

:D :D :D

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Hoping to get there :)

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Got there, and so glad I did.... the band was stellar, the venue was - as can be imagined - small.

I've really never seen a PA that tiddly, ever!

Poor SF couldn't get past 0.75 on the JCM800 Master Volume, but both it and he looked the part.

One of his many JCM800's were present but turned down to 0.025 volume. hence his wonderful rhythm and great slide work were lost below the other guys tele twanging... all was good after that, I hope my helpful pleading to turn up helped.... don't get me wrong the tele sounded fabulous, and I didn't want to see the dentist until after song 7 or 8. It was at this point I was praying for a broken string. Lo and behold in true Spike Milligan 'crash you bastards' style, he broke one! A Strat was sent for and sounded much sweeter to my ears :) The neck pup on the tele is like honey but theres something about the bridge pup that gets to me after a bit, which is why I'll probably never own one :(

Don't get me wrong, the guy's chops were killer, and if I could get close, I 'd be a very happy man. Phrasing was great, and the tone through the keeley pedals and Blues Deville was to die for! YUMMO! But tele bridge on my diminshed hearing is a bit iffy!

A great setlist, and never self indulgent (though I like to indulge ;) ) followed and even the hardened covers band watchers next to me stopped shouting for April Sun after a bit... and yes you can dance to the blues, even if you're 18, Swedish and nubile...the fact she was a bird had nothing to do with it.

Adam is a king of the strat/JCM combo, his phrasing is spot on, his lead licks make me sob in shame... their new bird singer has really great vocals, she is something to watch out for!

Great night fueled for me with the twins of evil Gin/Tonic Vodka/Redbull....

Highlights - every song, and the April Sun guy, Leza ( Capt's Sister) she's a star :) Adams well tasty guitar work - rhythm - slide -JCM800 filthy channel :)

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Capt. Black »

Yeeaaahhh.......{Yawn} ...... they were....sorta okaaayy. 8)

But seriously, I had to leave about midnight. Did they do that thing where they sort of take of into the stratosphere?
Like the first couple sets are just warming up and you think yeah, nice enough, I can dig it. Then they seem to hit the NOS, crank the afterburner and play like you never seen before. Where the fuk did that come from? Ninja pool hustler style. Did they do that? Did they? Scary innit? :D