Big Day Out 2008 ???? Are You In ?

Let us know where you are playing (and give us free tickets)

Moderator: Capt. Black

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 638 times
Been liked: 807 times

Post by hamo »

robnobcorncob wrote:RATM/Bjork/Battles/Arcade fire

I'm soooo there

8)

the current crop of rumours are that Queens of the stone age and the Smashing Pumpkins will be announced.
Turns out they weren't :(

The second announcement was poos, making this about the weakest BDO lineup I've seen. I'd love to see Rage, but there's not enough else on the bill to get me paying for travel, accommodation and ticket.
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

Basket Case
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 108 times

Post by Basket Case »

Nothing there that excites me. I have a strong disliking for Rage.

Cabb
Tokai
Tokai

Post by Cabb »

Definitely won't be going, very disappointing lineup. Not enough 'big' acts.

Some Bozo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Some Bozo »

Feeble lineup. Only half decent act on there is Paul Kelly and he seems wildly out of place. Next.

thehenderson
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by thehenderson »

great line-up, although rage doesn't really tickle my fancy

I'm gonna go to camp alowhum instead, get my yearly musical festival fill

Hot_Grits
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Hot_Grits »

higainer wrote:Ugh, another disapointing 1st anouncement :evil: RATM, Grinspoon & Shihad get the thumbs up tho. Caaaaaahhhhhmon bringith the METAL.
Don't worry, they always get a peanut-kick-drum metal band in there to up the attendance.

I saw rage at the first one, and was blown away by Morello and the overall groove.

gotta say, nothing's grabbing me enough to want to go just yet. maybe they'll pull something out of the hat in the last announcement.

It was fun playing it last year, but as a punter, every year seems like more of a trial. getting old, I guess.
jeremyb wrote: Is it true about the bum sex before marriage thing being ok?

thehenderson
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by thehenderson »

I feel the same thing, and I don't think it has to do with age

The 'atmosphere' just sucks, you can't chill out and escape, there are too many things to see

Should really just turn up in the evening and aim to see two bands and just enjoy them a bit more

xCaptainx
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 52 times

Re: Big Day Out 2008 ???? Are You In ?

Post by xCaptainx »

11am at the main/oranga stage. PLEASE come have a nosey if you are coming :D

TRYED&FAILED
Ashton
Ashton

Post by TRYED&FAILED »

Great show I really enjoyed RATM and most of the local acts. xCaptainx I missed about the first 20 minutes of you guys but what I saw I thought was really good. The Checks were brilliant, lead singer reminds me of Jim Morrison. Pluto I thought were a lot heavy than what I'd already heard of them but I still thoroughly enjoyed them. I went up to see tom morello (The Night Watchman) but when I got up there all I saw were three younger guys playing guitar almost trying to imitate tom morello, later I heard serj off system of a down got up with tom and they played a set. I had never really liked what I'd heard of shihad because mainly I was to lazy to explore further. To me Bjork was a bore she left the stage and I could see RATM's gear being set up, Bjork came back on for a an encore and almost all the people were booing and screaming "**** off". Funnily enough her last song main line was "Raise Your Flag" and I think you can guess what flag people were raising. After she left RATM came on after a long wait and really got the crowd growing, the lead singer even commented at one point "the president should be assassinated" which was interesting. As I was walking back I planned to see supergroove (they were on a smaller stage :evil: ) But people flooded the entrance and all ways of getting into see them were blocked, poor me cause I'm small no way i could've got in.

Anyway I had a great day and it was definitely worth the money and hopefully will go again next year :D

So anyone else go ?
I'm the kind of Kid who reads and waits and never posts anything :D

Hot_Grits
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Hot_Grits »

Zack said he was misquoted by 'Rupert Murdoch's Fox news'. He then went on to say that he said he wanted the entire Bush administration to be tied in the Internation War Crimes Tribunal and then hanged.

I thought we got off lightly on the Zack political soapbox. No Haiti, no Abu Graib, no Central America. I guess us being an international audience, and the festival time limit...

I arrived about 5pm. I really enjoyed Battles. Saw a bit of Pluto. Thought I was watching some average Aussie band that had weaseled onto the Auckland leg until they played 'Long White Cross'. Shihad did their standard local hero-crowd pleaser set. I really enjoyed Bjork. And Rage were punishing. I'd say they were the best main stage act I've seen at any BDO.
jeremyb wrote: Is it true about the bum sex before marriage thing being ok?

zdali
Ashton
Ashton

Post by zdali »

Me and denden went. Thourougly enyojed the day, but then i usually do. Local produce stage was enertaining as usual and IMHO sounded better than last years. Always something good blasting when i went past :D Managed to stay out of the boiler room this year, which is unheard of for me ... I guess I'm getting old :-) Bjork lightning show kicked galactic ass :D :D it was so good it made the Rage crowd stop booing :-). I'm pretty sure the words were "erase your flag" tho. Too lazy to google it. Rage was rage. Big pumping crowd. Awsome. I nearly lost my pants twice in the crowd... Err, that was due to me wearing a belt with a plane seatbelt type buckle... Quick release belts, altho very good in most situations, are not to be worn in the mosh pit. Left rage early to get a good spot for supergroove... They were good except for couple of Che Fu songs... Always enjoy watching Supergrove. All in all a good day :-)
CustomAudioBoutique wrote:and all "so I tied an onion to my belt; that was the style at the time" persons involved are cordially invited to shampoo my crotch.

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 168 times
Been liked: 251 times

Post by Capt. Black »

zdali wrote:They were good except for couple of Che Fu songs... Always enjoy watching Supergrove. All in all a good day :-)
Man those Che Fu songs are fuken awesome. They were rehearsing here the day before. Very cool set they put together. I thought it was great that they had Chains in there in particular.

Saw you and denden at the lights on the way in. That was me in the van. The two fingers was a peace sign BTW. hope I didn't get your day off to a bad start. :lol:

Ran into Machina and his guys near the gates too. Have to get that band onto the Local Produce stage next year. They just need to get over themselves and settle on a name. :P

I reckon the line up overall looked quite weak compared to past years but somehow once you're there... The noise, the heat, the little hotties running around all adds up to a great atmosphere. You'd have to be ultra cynical not to enjoy it.

I spent most of the day mooching backstage stealing beer from other band's riders and getting fed sausages from the gorgeous Labretta Suede.

Slunk up to the whatchamecallit lounge earlier on to find it populated with almost all the local bands that practice at The Manor. Nice.

I was roady-ing for The Exiles thanks to my old mate and ex-Mysteron Jonathan who manages them now. So had to spend a big chunk of the day looking after gear, getting them onstage, offstage then packing down and driving back to town to stash the gear again. Consequently missed some of the stuff I really wanted to see and by later on was too stuffed to move about much. Beer, age and heat can really take it out of ya I guess.

Saw Battle Circus who I reckon really good. Not your average rock band. Not quite prog, not quite metal. fuken clever in a fuken good way.

Missed Shocking Pinks who have totally won me over with their huge sound while rehearsing here. Had to lug gear back to town.
Officially the loudest band at The Manor. Think Bailter Space with prettier faces. Live they're much harder than their recorded stuff and the new rhythm section (including bass dude Vaughan, ex D4) is monstrous.
Going to see them at Whammy Bar and Dogs Bollyx gig even if I have shut up shop for the night. :lol:

A bunch of us stormed the boiler room side stage for Dizzee Rascal. what an amazing scene. The tent was packed, the sound was huge (apart from a technical hitch early on) and the noise from the cheering crown was awesome. I nearly ran onstage to pretend I was one of his crew. Was just about to when a really pissed off stage manager came screaming for me and a hundred or so other people to get out of there.

What I saw and heard of the big acts on the main stage (not that much I'm sad to say) was great.

All in all it was the atmosphere that made it for me. Nobody looked unhappy at all. Even the overheated til they were sick kids at the St Johns tent looked like they were having a ball!

thehenderson
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by thehenderson »

I really don't like that vibe where people waiting for one band boo the other band playing, makes me really uncomfortable. It happened when the strokes played before metallica, the metallica fans were booing like crazy it was pretty rude because the strokes side of the arena was just as packed. I wonder if that happens every year or if it's just the kind of crowd that likes metallica and rage, maybe they draw the same sort of people, lots of aggressive males getting angry?

Anyway, sounds like some of the bands were excellent but I just can't deal with some of the bad vibes that keep cropping up there, people need to mellow out, music is meant to be fun!

zdali
Ashton
Ashton

Post by zdali »

Capt. Black wrote: Man those Che Fu songs are fuken awesome. They were rehearsing here the day before. Very cool set they put together. I thought it was great that they had Chains in there in particular.

Saw you and denden at the lights on the way in. That was me in the van. The two fingers was a peace sign BTW. hope I didn't get your day off to a bad start. :lol:
I meant that they sounded a bit loose on Che's songs. There's something about the beat going and the drummer sitting still...

Yea we did see the peace sign :-) Could've given us a lift in :P

Anyone up for an NZGuitars organized trip to BDO next year? Say meet somewhere in town, catch a train in as a group in a field trip sort of a way?
CustomAudioBoutique wrote:and all "so I tied an onion to my belt; that was the style at the time" persons involved are cordially invited to shampoo my crotch.

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 168 times
Been liked: 251 times

Post by Capt. Black »

Yeah the booing thing is pretty fucked. From where I was looking I reckon its the guys who camp down the front and wait for their band that do it most. People prepared to move around and sample everything or those that don't want to do that fighting dancing and sit outside the front pigpen were totally happy.

LOL, I was sorely tempted to get up front amongst the skinny white kids with a few staunchly intimidating mates to see what would happen. maybe next year...
To be honest, I was watching from up high and there was a lot of people around the periphery of the moshpit who were giving the dickwads a hard enough shove to make sure they thought twice about coming that way again. It's amazing how quickly one stops acting out of it when your neck and kidneys hurt so much :lol: