The Police at Western Springs

Let us know where you are playing (and give us free tickets)

Moderator: Capt. Black

RobRoyMcCoy
PRS
PRS
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 194 times
Been liked: 45 times

The Police at Western Springs

Post by RobRoyMcCoy »

OK, so I am biased as a long term fan, but my expectations were met and them some by the Police at Western Springs last night.

I have ranked this concert at the top of the list.

Fergie (more later) had 14 people on the stage spread out, the three main protagonists grouped all of their stuff in the middle of the stage, and they had more presence immediately. The sound was fantastic. I was really worried about it as we were so close to the stage (row F, 6 back) but the live sound, and particularly the vocals and the kick drum were exquisite.

They played most of the favourite tracks and gave them new life by seeming to improvise sections and feels within them, taking cues of the drummer. By the way, Stewart Copeland was simply mindblowing. We also had a great view of the stage and I am pleased that I shelled out for the big $$$ tickets because it felt like we could see everything that was going on between them on stage.

They played for 2 hrs 15 mins and Sting looked fucked at the end. They had a great video and lighting setup. Andy Summers played a red strat with a mint green pickguard and rosewood fretboard for most of the songs. It suprising stayed in tune and intonated perfectly all night. The guitarist for Fergie had a few tuning issues. Plus Andy was giving it plenty in the whammy bar dept so I was impressed by that. He also pulled out a burst Telecaster with a single coil mounted in brass bridge and an neck humbucker for some tunes. He was using a Custom Audio Amplifier head with 4 x Mesa Boogie 2 x 12"'s and 2 x Mesa 2 x 10's (vertical). He played a lot of modal stuff to change the songs harmonically into entirely more complex beasties. He did a lot of soloing so that was cool from a guitarist point of view, plus the crowd ate it up.

Fergie had a hard job as the crowd were there to see the Police and probably we only a fraction of her demographic. However, despite a lot of pre-recorded backing vocals and a suspicion of pitch correction, she sung a wide range of material beautifully. Again the EQing and treatment of her vocals by the sound engineer was top notch. She did two rock tracks exceptionally well, Black Dog by Zep and Barracuda by Heart. I think she could do rock better than most female vocalists I have heard. However, most of her material was not to my taste and she had to resort to writhing around on stage simulating sex to get the crown involved.

It was one of the few concerts I have seen totally straight and I am glad I did: because I now have no doubt that I witnessed a truely engaging and magical rock concert. Good on them for coming back and giving it a go. Now if only I can figure out how to get to see Led Zep...

Hot_Grits
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Re: The Police at Western Springs

Post by Hot_Grits »

I did the old 'watch from the hill' trick. Really good gig.
jeremyb wrote: Is it true about the bum sex before marriage thing being ok?

Lawrence
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 605 times

Post by Lawrence »

lets not forget the first act of the night FICTIONPLANE. I was impressed with the "policeness" of the band and the "Stingness" of the vocalist/bassplayer...I found out afterwards that he is Stings son!!!

I was in Wellington...the concert was everything that Rob said. My only complaint is the holding back of the system for the supports...the volume was fine, but both supports could have done with more bottom...

Still....3 guys, who happen to be great players, having fun together, jammimg, with a repetoire of finely crafted pop songs we all know and love..how good does it get!! :D :D :D :D
GrantB wrote:
“You might be cool, but you’ll never be playing a white Steinberger through a JC120, wearing a white jumpsuit with white shoes and sporting a mullet cool”.

DarcyPerry
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by DarcyPerry »

Sounded great from my deck. The Police in my own backyard. Who would have thought? :wink:
"It's all a gift... and I have to keep giving it back, or it goes away. If I start believing that it's all my doing, it's gonna be my undoing." - Stevie Ray Vaughan
http://www.darcyperry.co.nz