CD's, Gigs, Gear, anything you want!

Moderator: Capt. Black

Red Fred
Ashton
Ashton
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Velvet revolver - Contraband

Post by Red Fred »

Well I rushed to the Cd store when i woke up this morning. Iwas rushing to get the debut album from Velvet Revolver. In case you don't know ( :o ) Velvet Revolver comprises of Slash, Duff and Matt from Guns N' Roses, Scott Weiland from Stone Temple Pilots and Dave Kushner. So as you can make out this is a kind of supergroup.

Anyway the album comprises of 13 tracks including 'Set me free' and 'Slither' which are the two singles. You would think that the first two singles would indicate what the album is going to be like, well this is true for half of the album with heavy riff-orientated songs like the singles. However the rest of the songs run alot more like STP songs with sort of funky goorve to them.

Now what you have probably been thinking was 'Does Slash still have it in the solo department?' and the answer is most deffinatly yes. He plays two types of solos though some being like GNR style the others being more of a grunge sounding sort of solo.
Tracks 'Spectacle', 'Do it for the kids' 'Sucker train Blues', 'Headspace', 'You got no right' all have great solos. 'Fall to pieces' is one of the tracks with a really memorible solo. Slash seems to hit all the right notes to make the solo fit with the songs amazingly.

Overall I think this album is great that could however be me being a biast GNR fan boy :P So yeah 9/10

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1377 times
Been liked: 2107 times

Post by GrantB »

Thanks for the review - how is Scott's vocals sounding these days? He used to do a fair bit of crooning on the last few STP albums, but this sounds pretty hardcore (heard the singles)...cheers
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Richy11
If your 555, then I'm 666

Post by Richy11 »

I've been really impressed with everything I've heard from them. Authough Scott Weiland looks like he's been hitting the drugs pretty hard he's even more gaunt than before.

jae
Stagg
Stagg

Post by jae »

VR have two guitarists and the second also plays alot of lead more than izzy ever did but some of the grungier solo's could be Dave Kushner.
PLAY HARD OR GO HOME

angry_young_poet
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 14 times

Post by angry_young_poet »

have you heard of the "mint chicks"??

some guy rated their album 4 stars while VR just got 3!!!! :evil:

Gelato
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Gelato »

angry_young_poet wrote:have you heard of the "mint chicks"??

some guy rated their album 4 stars while VR just got 3!!!! :evil:
Oh dear.... I heard one song by the mint chicks, and it was so bad I assumed it was a joke, but apparently it wasn't.... :?

gregtarr
I am Marshall, hear me roar!

Post by gregtarr »

Drummer with a mullet. Guitarist who must have assumed that all of the riffs written using non dissonant notes had be written, so in an effort to write some time original, didn't let it hold him back....

From what I've heard of VR, they are fantastic.
Last edited by gregtarr on Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I told you, pedals sound twice as good when they're stacked on top of other pedals" - Mike Einziger

angry_young_poet
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 14 times

Post by angry_young_poet »

i heard from a live review that the vocalist runs distortion/overdrive thru his mic.. geezz.. who listens to that?? all energy and noise too they said..

and they go on to slam VR??? :evil: