CD's, Gigs, Gear, anything you want!

Moderator: Capt. Black

Kristie
Token Rock Chick!
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Egnater Renegade 212 65W 2x12 Tube Guitar Combo Amp

Post by Kristie »

Egnater Renegade 212 65W 2x12 Tube Guitar Combo Amp

Jansens recently asked me to pick an amp from their store to review. Having an acoustic show or two coming up I thought I’d go for something I could use for acoustic as well as electric. I picked out the Egnater Renegade from the website initially because I thought it had a cool sounding name. Renegade. I’d play through an amp called ‘Renegade’. It’d be badass.

The Egnater Renegade 212 is a 65 watt combo with two different 12” Celestion speakers in the cab (a vintage 30 and a custom voiced Elite-80), two independent channels, 6 12AX7s in the pre-amp, 2 6L6 and 2 EL34 tubes in the power amp. It’s a smooth and sexy hunk of amp in cream and charcoal, with the many controls hidden away on top rather than spoiling the front panel.

I was genuinely and pleasantly surprised with the Renegades versatility. I could see myself covering a lot of bases with this amp, especially thanks to the dial that allows you to blend and choose between cool 6L6’s and warm creamy EL34 tubes on each of the two channels.

I also especially liked the ability to switch between 65 watts and 15 watts, allowing you to get a good sound out of it in the bedroom/lounge as well as on stage.

The clean sound was clear enough to run my acoustic through (which I did at a gig and had no problems), and both channels sounded amazing back home with a Tele and pretty darn nice with my old Ibanez Roadster. The reverb is really natural sounding. Overall my impressions were of a warm sweet beautiful sounding amp that was probably a bit out of my price range. Turns out I was wrong, at $3000* it’s ridiculously affordable considering how good it sounds.

So here I am singing the praises of the Renegade, you may be wondering what’s in it for me? Not a free amp sadly. So here are the things I didn’t like about the amp:

The first I should probably be a little embarrassed to confess. I wasn’t able to bring it to my one of my gigs because I couldn’t get it down the stairs of my flat on my own. It was just too darn heavy.** (Admittedly if I actually owned the amp I would have bumped and slid it down without worrying about a few knocks...)

The second thing, the noisy cooling fan got on my nerves a little.

The third thing, the colour. I would have preferred it in pink. Bogans might prefer it in black, but they might want something a bit more ‘metal’ in the first place. It’s hard to imagine someone playing Metallica through this, though I did try it and it sounded legit.

I give the Egnater Renegade 212 four and a half cookies out of five cookies. It’s sound quality, versatility and affordability are fantastic. It has a cool name. Someone should buy me one for my birthday.

*Apparently on special for $2500 at the moment...

rocklander
no offense, but I'm not a guitarist

Re: Egnater Renegade 212 65W 2x12 Tube Guitar Combo Amp

Post by rocklander »

KRISTIE is alive!

or someone's hacked her account...
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

Kristie
Token Rock Chick!

Post by Kristie »

rocklander wrote:KRISTIE is alive!

or someone's hacked her account...
I'm alive ;)

Terexgeek
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1224 times
Been liked: 375 times

Post by Terexgeek »

What kind of lounge or bedroom have you got that suits 15Watts?
Tin arse!!

Kristie
Token Rock Chick!

Post by Kristie »

Terexgeek wrote:What kind of lounge or bedroom have you got that suits 15Watts?
The kind with wooden window frames that rattle when you crank it ;)

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1030 times
Been liked: 2518 times

Post by Slowy »

So when's your Birthday?
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

TMG 03
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by TMG 03 »

I have a gig coming up next soon, I wonder if they will let me review/ use it. I could tell everybody its easy to lift and give it a better review. :P

Why do they have a cooling Fan? Are the backs not open to cooling without it?

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 645 times
Been liked: 814 times

Post by hamo »

Great review that could have only been improved by referencing Lorenzo Lamas, possibly in a rhyming couplet with "badass".
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

machina
Tokai
Tokai

Post by machina »

Really like the idea of being able to blend the different tube types!