mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 178 times

Flight of the Conchords

Post by mr_sooty »

Anyone else checked out the Conchords tour? My wife gave me an early birthday surprise by taking me out to their last Wellington gig at TSB last night. Great show, really enjoyed it. They played mostly tried and true material, which was entertaining enough, although obviously not quite as funny when you know the songs practically off-by-heart. Wellington must be a tough crowd for them I guess because everyone knows their stuff probably better than they do anywhere else. But they did a few new songs which were great, and the banter between the songs was freakin' hilarious. I had tears of laughter on several occasions.

What I was most impressed with though was their musicianship. These guys are actually really good. I knew of Brett's musical pedigree in Black Seeds etc, but I was really impressed with Jemaine's guitar playing too. He had some nice tone coming from his little nylon string, which made me wonder what pickup he was using. They've stepped up their gear a bit, Brett was playing a rather nice looking Gibson acoustic. They worked really well together musically, and harmonised very well vocally. They had a guest guy (Nigel) playing some extra parts on Cello and Synth and doing some extra backing vocals, and he did an outstanding job. Don't want to get all serious about it of course, this was all about the laffs, but I was pleasantly surprised at how polished they were musically.

Also really enjoyed the warm up bit from Arj Barker. Highly recommended.
Last edited by mr_sooty on Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7906 times
Been liked: 4254 times

Re: Flight of the Conchords

Post by jeremyb »

Few friends went to the shows and loved them too, would be cool if they came up with enough material for another series!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 245 times
Been liked: 966 times

Post by Conway »

Yeah, the whole family went on Saturday at Vector Arena. Great show and I agree, they're both much better musicians than I expected. My girls, aged 15 & 12, sniggered the whole way through, especially at the "rude" ones and my wife was in fits of laughter. 2 hours went in a flash.
GUITARS ROCK - www.guitarsrock.co.nz
TONE LOUNGE - www.tonelounge.co.nz

Marshall
Fender
Fender

Post by Marshall »

Went last night in Wellington and it was great :D
Grind 'til your neighbours go blind

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3555 times
Been liked: 728 times

Post by Cdog »

Jealous. :x

SammyD
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by SammyD »

Yeah the other half and myself went to the Chch one as well, very funny. The between song banter was very very funny, I loved the muffin story just because of the way they told it.
If I was of the ilk to place quotes in signatures ... this would be in mine. - NZRS-Dave