CD's, Gigs, Gear, anything you want!

Moderator: Capt. Black

DarcyPerry
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Re: Bluesfest - Whitianga

Post by DarcyPerry »

I thought The Cheques were great. KT was very slick. Tight rythmn and vocals. Also the best BVs I've heard in years live. I was there to perform so of course I got to talk to other artists backstage. I was lucky to be there and the main reason the festival rocked for me was Buddy Guy. He is the main reason for me playing the way I do. I was fortunate that I got to shake his hand. Our band was introduced to him and he shook all our hands. Mr Guy is a legend in my eyes. I really enjoyed talking with his band also. Ric is fantastic, thanks Adam for introducing me!

Paul Ubana Jones found our green room and introduced himself. He is marvelous! A powerhouse of a performer too. Everyone I had the fortune to talk to was enjoying the vibe and having a great time. When you've done your set, it's cool to be able to catch other artists perform. I met Keb Mo and loved his set. So natural. Xavier Rudd, Warren Maxwell and Newton Faulkner were all down to earth too.

The crew were fantastic. The management was top notch. We had a ball and would love to do it again. I have my sights set on Byron Bay 2009!
"It's all a gift... and I have to keep giving it back, or it goes away. If I start believing that it's all my doing, it's gonna be my undoing." - Stevie Ray Vaughan
http://www.darcyperry.co.nz

Clarky
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Clarky »

It was good to read your interview on stuff too DarcyPerry. Hopefully it all helps with album sales/show numbers/intergalactic domination/groupie quality & quantity. 8)
Konx om Pax

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

Riffles @ Raz!!

Love it!!
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

raz
Hagstrom

Post by raz »

bluesgeek wrote:
raz wrote:
Rog wrote:OMG - is there no nadir our fearless leader will not sink to?? :P
I can see a new tagline

Bluesgeek - plumbing the depths so you don't have to
hey I didn't even mention Smoke on the Water????
ha - but you know that you wanted to 8)

borge
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by borge »

had a big hassle at the motel we were staying (couldnt find the owner, thought we had been double booked but alas there was two #5 units :? ) so we were a bit late.

saw the checks play a new song as we walked past to the main stage: twas good, sounded great, i would of stayed if they were playing how they did at R n' V, but were very subdued in comparison. i never thought much of them till i saw them on new years and they are a great live band, good guitarists, good tone, great stage presence.

little bushman: the band i was most looking forward to seeing, only got to see the last two songs :( sounded good.
pissed i missed this.

darcy perry: only got to see the last 3 songs. was nice to see analiesia (sp?) in action, although only heard her very breifly, keys and harps did all the solos in the songs i saw. the guitar was quite low in the mix, keys were LOUD. (i was right beside the sound tent) darcys a great frontman, really got the crowd going.

hollie smith: best sound of the day to my ears, great band, best harmonies of the day, was a blast to see the bass player stomp on some sort of fuzz/synth box and jam some DnB :shock: my favourite guitarist of the day too :shock:
very taseful, great tone, nothing over the top.

xavier rudd: had a large rig of drums, lap steel, digeridoos, wind chimes, blues harp and a few other various things set up around him and a drummer/percussionist across stage, which he played in various combinations to great effect.
the crowd loved his hippy ranting about how great NZ is, and his DnBish parts went down a treat at the front.
the 2nd or 3rd sond was VERY reminiscent of graceland, which i liked (having heard graceland many thousands of times growing up). was odd he had a bassist playing off stage, i thought that was ridiculous. :?

paul ubana jones: great as allways, only saw the last couple songs (again!) but have seen him numerous times and hes allways amazing, very interesting chords and melodies, although watching him changes tunings between nearly every songs gets tiresome.

keb mo: very good, great lyrics, great guitar playing, great sense of time.

ian brown: band was good, monotone vocals were ummm monotonous.

kt tunstall: having only heard the singles my opinion wasnt too high, sound wasnt as good as earlier acts but seemed to get better,
was better than i expected, still nothing to write home about.

buddy guy: band was great, guitars were LOUD, buddys guitar was very shrill and thin, his voice was great, amazing showman.
nothing out of the ordinary, cliche blues licks galore, does he only ever solo with the bridge pu?
the dude on keys :shock: AMAZING! got my coveted best muso on the day award.

on the whole a great day, no long lines for anything (asides coffee), reasonable prices for booze (the coupon system in place sped things up alot). heaps of room, no dickheads.
reccomended aaaa+++++ will trade again next year