druz15
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 56 times

Re: HD500 Review

Post by druz15 »

jeremyb wrote:Without listening thru an amp you're missing some of the dynamics Sooty, does your Dr Z have an effects loop? tis easy to plug it into the return if it does and change it to the mode where the hd works as a preamp, it sounds much more realistic IMHO...
Yeah I think the whole thing you were describing about the bassman not sounding full and lush or whatever is probably because you don't have 4 10inch speakers blasting at you. Get a vintage bassman and mic it up and record it, chances are through headphones it's gonna lose some of that niceness too
BG wrote:I don't care if you worship god or you worship goats cocks

Kloppsta
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 93 times

Post by Kloppsta »

jeremyb wrote:Totally, I'd have one in a heartbeat, but to replicate what I have with the HD500 it would cost about the same as our car, i.e. add a foot controller etc... :?
tis' true!! i wish they werent as expensive as they are but i guess if you look at it like how many amps and effects you are getting in a 2U box for $3.5k.....it aint really too bad a deal! but yeah, still ball breakingly $$pricey$$ :shock: :(
Little by little, by hook or by crook

druz15
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by druz15 »

oh and +1 on AxeFX, want one bad
BG wrote:I don't care if you worship god or you worship goats cocks

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 418 times
Been liked: 1020 times

Post by bender »

willow13 wrote:
Hot_Grits wrote: As faras I can tell, the Kemper is a potential buy for me. I'm especially turned on by the idea of profiles of specific amps allowing collections of weird pawnshop amps and rarities, as well as that '1 in 20' good sounding JCM 800. I hear reports of a profile of a vintage AC30 cranked and profiled moments before it died. Fun!

But that's a different price bracket and form factor.
but with the kemper won't you need to find the amps you want to copy to be able to copy them???? thats what I got from the video that was posted here
The point HG was making about the AC30 is that people can share profiles.

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 645 times
Been liked: 814 times

Post by hamo »

willow13 wrote:
Hot_Grits wrote: As faras I can tell, the Kemper is a potential buy for me. I'm especially turned on by the idea of profiles of specific amps allowing collections of weird pawnshop amps and rarities, as well as that '1 in 20' good sounding JCM 800. I hear reports of a profile of a vintage AC30 cranked and profiled moments before it died. Fun!

but with the kemper won't you need to find the amps you want to copy to be able to copy them???? thats what I got from the video that was posted here
I'd have thought you'd be able to download profiles sooner or later.
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by hamo »

Kloppsta wrote:
jeremyb wrote:Totally, I'd have one in a heartbeat, but to replicate what I have with the HD500 it would cost about the same as our car, i.e. add a foot controller etc... :?
tis' true!! i wish they werent as expensive as they are but i guess if you look at it like how many amps and effects you are getting in a 2U box for $3.5k.....it aint really too bad a deal! but yeah, still ball breakingly $$pricey$$ :shock: :(
Yeah, the difference between the HD and the Axe is that I will own an HD in this lifetime.

Hot_Grits
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Hot_Grits »

hamo wrote:
willow13 wrote:

Been available since product launch. Huge amounts of profiles out there already, all kinds of stuff. Plus the stock profiles that come with the box.
jeremyb wrote: Is it true about the bum sex before marriage thing being ok?

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

so if you can't run it in USB how do you download profiles????....sorry to lazy to research myself :D
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

You can update via USB, you just can't record via USB.
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by hamo »

Hot_Grits wrote:
hamo wrote:
willow13 wrote:but with the kemper won't you need to find the amps you want to copy to be able to copy them???? thats what I got from the video that was posted here
Been available since product launch. Huge amounts of profiles out there already, all kinds of stuff.
There you go then, asked and answered. This blows my mind just a little. "Oh, I need to grab some amps for my covers band. Let's just grab an AFD for the GnR songs, an AC30 for our Queen and U2 numbers, and a Hiwatt for Floyd." Then you just need to run an M13 into it and bob's ya male relative.

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore

Post by slash-ed »

A few quick thoughts about the Kemper (having had one for a little while thanks to Rockshop):

Personally, I think it's best suited to being a recording/studio tool (TOOL). With the previously mentioned allure of unique, rare, and/or now-dead amps being stored in one magical box, it goes where the other modellers do not (except for the profile mode on the new Axe which I have no experience with, so I can't really talk about). It does what it does amazingly well - matching the miked tone of your amp. Which also brings us back in a way to the discussion about how a miked tone will never sound as good as an amp in the room.

Seeing as it is basically a "digital snapshot" of the amp settings at that particular time, that means you're limited (in terms of EQ options etc) to a certain tolerance around the original settings. It's logical that the further you extrapolate from the original, the less accurate the profile becomes.

From that perspective, I'd almost prefer something like the Axe which attempts to smoothly model the WHOLE business down to the tiny details, to give a full spectrum model of an amp.

Also, when I tried the Kemper through a powered speaker with a band, I felt like it struggled to be heard a little.

But to reiterate, it does what it does extremely well, and I think it definitely has a place "moving forward", but they perhaps need to fine tune the experience a bit (dorky box, USB recording etc).

2c etc.

Polar Bear
Burns BHM
Has liked: 340 times
Been liked: 342 times

Post by Polar Bear »

HAving heard the same amp, I concur. All the amp models had a very flat and dry feel to them. Getting monstered by a Pathfinder 15r doesn't help matters. I guess it would be interesting to hear it through a dedicated guitar powered speaker, like the DT series.
Zephyr - Wellington's Leading Covers Band

http://zephyrband.co.nz/
https://www.facebook.com/ZephyrBandNZ

RuBear
Gibson

Post by RuBear »

hamo wrote:bob's ya male relative.
Robert's your fathers brother?
Ok I got rid of my Foal quote, but I found a new one.
foal30 wrote:some 80's metal makes me want to dress up like a woman, just like they did back in the day.
is this sort of what you mean?

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2276 times
Been liked: 3990 times

Post by Bg »

RuBear wrote:
hamo wrote:bob's ya male relative.
Robert's your fathers brother?
nah he's your aunties husband.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore

Post by slash-ed »

Hey, sooty's famous!

Sorry, not quite... I can't even guarantee "world famous in NZ" status. Since ages ago.

http://sixstringsamurai.co.nz/2012/08/2 ... con-chips/