Moderator: Capt. Black

Bg
Site Admin
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 2269 times
Been liked: 3930 times

Re: Line6 M13 Review

Post by Bg »

hamo wrote:I don't really know what I'm talking about, as I've only got the Pocket POD, but it seems to me like the POD doesn't always play well with my amp, and that it really was designed for headphones or line out rather than to go through an amp, unless you have stacks of clean headroom. I don't know if the M9/13 is the same, but it just seems to be more of an amp oriented solution. Like I said though, talking through a hole in my arse, so someone more knowledgeable might want to chime in. :mrgreen:
Well the Pocket Pod is an amp simulator, so if you stick it in front of an amp it sounds arse, the M9/M13 are effects units, therefore they don't ;) With the XT/X3 you can turn off the amp sims...
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 644 times
Been liked: 810 times

Post by hamo »

BG wrote:
hamo wrote:I don't really know what I'm talking about, as I've only got the Pocket POD, but it seems to me like the POD doesn't always play well with my amp, and that it really was designed for headphones or line out rather than to go through an amp, unless you have stacks of clean headroom. I don't know if the M9/13 is the same, but it just seems to be more of an amp oriented solution. Like I said though, talking through a hole in my arse, so someone more knowledgeable might want to chime in. :mrgreen:
Well the Pocket Pod is an amp simulator, so if you stick it in front of an amp it sounds arse, the M9/M13 are effects units, therefore they don't ;) With the XT/X3 you can turn off the amp sims...
That's vaguely what I was trying to say, except I had no idea about the full PODs' capabilities. :oops:
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

xCaptainx
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by xCaptainx »

Putting a deposit on an M9 this weekend ^_^ Had a quick go on one last weekend and was totally sold.

6 effects per scene (3 at any given time) built in gate and tuner.

Pretty excited, it's going to effectively replace my entire board and I'll be able to do every effect I've been wanting to do with my band.

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 675 times
Been liked: 574 times

Post by TmcB »

I find it interesting that because of the way they've advertised the M13 and M9, people perceive it as 4 or 5 line 6 stompboxes in a big box, rather than a multi effects unit. Well done, they've somehow managed to leapfrog the cringe normally associated with multieffects and even their pod range; it's essentially a stripped down pod but hey, we all like it.
Last edited by TmcB on Tue May 18, 2010 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

xCaptainx
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by xCaptainx »

Well yeah, my main attraction with Line 6 has always been ease of use (I'm lazy, haha) I've had a pod, pod xt, HD147 and spider II practise amp.

But I agree, the layout of the M9 is far more attractive and easier to use than most multi FX pedals I've seen. it looks and feels like 6 effect pedals.

Plus the expression pedal is great. I was having a great time editing the parameters and reponses of effects etc.

Oh and the loop function rules! it's going to be so good for working on solo ideas/layering ideas!

I think most multi FX guys might scoff at the lack of FX loop in/out for the four cable FX loop, but personally I've never used midi control/FX loop (I never use clean, haha and the only thing I ever put through the FX Loop was the BBE) all my effects have been at the front of my amp.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

tonymcbony wrote:I find it interesting that because of the way they've advertised the M13 and M9, people perceive it as 4 or 5 line 6 stompboxes in a big box, rather than a multi effects unit. Well done, they've somehow managed to leapfrog the cringe normally associated with multieffects and even their pod range; it's essentially a stripped down pod but hey, we all like it.
Think you've missed the point really... its not a stripped down Pod, there are effects in there that take much more processing power than the pod can handle. Its more like - all the reverbs, all the mods, all the echos, etc etc etc from the entire range of pedals they sell or have sold, and then some. So maybe a Pod could now be classed as a stripped down M9/13 with an amp sim bolted on.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Kloppsta
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 93 times

Post by Kloppsta »

BG wrote:Think you've missed the point really... its not a stripped down Pod, there are effects in there that take much more processing power than the pod can handle. Its more like - all the reverbs, all the mods, all the echos, etc etc etc from the entire range of pedals they sell or have sold, and then some. So maybe a Pod could now be classed as a stripped down M9/13 with an amp sim bolted on.
+1

the verb's and delays in my M9's are better sounding to my ears than some of the more "high end" rack processors ive owned from the likes of Lexicon, Roland & TC Electronic. they are so convincing that i have sold and / or retired all my pedals in favor of 2 M9's. One in front and one in the loop. Less floor space, less cables, less power supply issues and more sound options. the only thing i would (and eventually will after i win lotto) replace this setup with would be a Ground Control / GCX Switcher setup.
Little by little, by hook or by crook

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Kloppsta wrote:
BG wrote:Think you've missed the point really... its not a stripped down Pod, there are effects in there that take much more processing power than the pod can handle. Its more like - all the reverbs, all the mods, all the echos, etc etc etc from the entire range of pedals they sell or have sold, and then some. So maybe a Pod could now be classed as a stripped down M9/13 with an amp sim bolted on.
+1

the verb's and delays in my M9's are better sounding to my ears than some of the more "high end" rack processors ive owned from the likes of Lexicon, Roland & TC Electronic. they are so convincing that i have sold and / or retired all my pedals in favor of 2 M9's. One in front and one in the loop. Less floor space, less cables, less power supply issues and more sound options. the only thing i would (and eventually will after i win lotto) replace this setup with would be a Ground Control / GCX Switcher setup.
Awesome, more flexible than an M13 :) Now I'm working again an M9 is on the cards ;)

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 675 times
Been liked: 574 times

Post by TmcB »

I was more getting at that it could have been perceived to be a stripped down pod, and how Line 6 managed to nicely dodge that bullet.
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

Kloppsta
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 93 times

Post by Kloppsta »

BG wrote:Awesome, more flexible than an M13 :) Now I'm working again an M9 is on the cards ;)
yeah its a really versatile setup! im stoked with it! your review on the M13 is what got me onto them so thanks! :)

its a pretty basic setup right now...the M9 infront is routed - COMP > EQ > FUZZ > OCTAVE > WAH > WHAMMY
the M9 in the loop is - SYNTH > CHORUS > DELAY 1 > DELAY 2 > REVERB 1 > REBERB 2

i havent setup any scences yet...but i think ill try a second scene for the M9 in the loop for things like Phaser, Trem, Flange etc. stuff that i wouldnt use very often.

im planning on posting some rig pics once i have everything finished :)
Little by little, by hook or by crook

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Kloppsta wrote:
BG wrote:Awesome, more flexible than an M13 :) Now I'm working again an M9 is on the cards ;)
yeah its a really versatile setup! im stoked with it! your review on the M13 is what got me onto them so thanks! :)

its a pretty basic setup right now...the M9 infront is routed - COMP > EQ > FUZZ > OCTAVE > WAH > WHAMMY
the M9 in the loop is - SYNTH > CHORUS > DELAY 1 > DELAY 2 > REVERB 1 > REBERB 2

i havent setup any scences yet...but i think ill try a second scene for the M9 in the loop for things like Phaser, Trem, Flange etc. stuff that i wouldnt use very often.

im planning on posting some rig pics once i have everything finished :)
Excellent :) I should get Rob to fit an fx loop to the bellbird and get 2 ;)

xCaptainx
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by xCaptainx »

would be keen to hear some hints/tips regarding tweakage once I get mine. Really wanting to dial in a great lead tone

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

xCaptainx wrote:would be keen to hear some hints/tips regarding tweakage once I get mine. Really wanting to dial in a great lead tone
I think the biggest hint is for the distortions/od's don't think of the mid control as a control for mids - sounds confusing but its not a mids control on quite a few of the models. Best way I found for tweaking was to play something into the looper, let it loop and then bugger around tweaking to your hearts content, or you get sick of the riff playing back forever. Its a doddle ;)

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

tonymcbony wrote:I was more getting at that it could have been perceived to be a stripped down pod, and how Line 6 managed to nicely dodge that bullet.
But thats the thing, it isn't so there was no bullet to dodge in reality. I think virtually everyone has realised that its a more powerful, easy to use, great sounding unit. Well virtually anyway ;)

xCaptainx
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by xCaptainx »

BG wrote:Best way I found for tweaking was to play something into the looper, let it loop and then bugger around tweaking to your hearts content, or you get sick of the riff playing back forever. Its a doddle ;)
:shock: haha I didnt even think of doing that, that's AWESOME :lol: I've got a feeling I'm going to be turning to our practise room a few hours earlier than everyone else to tweak at gig/stage volume, haha. Seriously that rules.

I'm really excited about the overdrives to be honest. I want this to replace my current overdrive (which I'm using more as a signal boost than anything, the drive is on near zero) so I'm really excited about the EQ/Vetta EQ options as well. I was toying with the idea of getting a clean boost at some point, so the variety on the M9 is perfect. ALl the reviews I've ready of the current firmware update have said that the new drive updates rule.

Plus I was GAS'ing for a whammy a while ago, this does that as well.