"Queen" and Paul Rodgers

CD's, Gigs, Gear, anything you want!

Moderator: Capt. Black

Pakehendrix
Big Muff
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Re: "Queen" and Paul Rodgers

Post by Pakehendrix »

That second song sounded too much like U2 for me to continue listening past the first few seconds...

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 353 times
Been liked: 663 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

That's a strange album in that all the songs remind me of other bands, old and new, but none of them remind me of Queen...
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 389 times
Been liked: 186 times

Post by Vince »

Danger Mouse wrote:That's a strange album in that all the songs remind me of other bands, old and new, but none of them remind me of Queen...
Really..?

I don't feel like wasting 10 minutes of broadband all over again to listen to the clip but when I listened to it last night, they certainly had the backing harmonies down pat. (As they should, after all these years they can probably do them in their sleep) I could still hear the rockier bits of Queen in some of them too. There was something that sounded like erm... "Tie Your Mother Down" (or something)

You didn't hear any of that at all? Um. Maybe I was hearing it with my imagination more than my ears then. :|
"Vince, have you ever tried playing an expensive bass?" - Polarbear.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

Pakehendrix
Big Muff

Post by Pakehendrix »

The only things noticeably Queen were the harmonies and the guitar tone (sometimes). But then it just sounded like silly Brian May guest appearances...a bit like Santana's recent sellout venture.

jimi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 845 times
Been liked: 359 times

Post by jimi »

Danger Mouse wrote:That's a strange album in that all the songs remind me of other bands, old and new, but none of them remind me of Queen...
Guess if sounding like Queen means hearing Freddie singing, then its not going to sound like Queen, but from what I heard it definitely sounded like Brian May.

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Danger Mouse »

Yeah there's elements of the music that can't be hidden, but it's more the song styles and overall sound that doesn't come across as Queen to me. Even the vocal harmonies, while I can recognise them being there because that is what Queen do, don't sound like Queen to me.

Some Bozo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Some Bozo »

Ditto. The guitar in those clips sounded pretty generic to me. Most of the lead vocals were more Bad Company than Queen. Or maybe even The Firm :roll: The title track is pretty much Status Quo...
"You know something's gone badly wrong with the world when Prince has stopped singing about sex, and Morrissey has started."

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Danger Mouse »

Some Bozo wrote:The title track is pretty much Status Quo...
Ha ha, I'm not the only one to think that then...

Some Bozo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Some Bozo »

Paul Rogers seems to be making a career out of being everyone's second choice vocalist. Van Halen next :lol: ? That would be fourth choice...
"You know something's gone badly wrong with the world when Prince has stopped singing about sex, and Morrissey has started."

Polar Bear
Burns BHM
Has liked: 340 times
Been liked: 342 times

Post by Polar Bear »

HAve to say, haven't listened to the clip, but listening to the songs in their entirety has been good. There's a lot of bits that remind me of Innuendo (album) on there. The guitar tone, not compressed onto youtube, is amazing, and the drums sound pretty good. Paul get's a bit to Anastasia on some of the vocals, as is his want, but other than that, it's got some very strong moments, and then some terrible ones too. However, I still listen to it, out of choice. As for it being Queen, if I'd invested my entire life into a company (essentially what it is) and one of my co-creaters happened to suck the Kumara, I'd still be pretty keen to keep the name going and not see my life work down the pan.
Zephyr - Wellington's Leading Covers Band

http://zephyrband.co.nz/
https://www.facebook.com/ZephyrBandNZ

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 389 times
Been liked: 186 times

Post by Vince »

Danger Mouse wrote:Yeah there's elements of the music that can't be hidden, but it's more the song styles and overall sound that doesn't come across as Queen to me. Even the vocal harmonies, while I can recognise them being there because that is what Queen do, don't sound like Queen to me.
Yeah, they seem to be short on those huge anthemic things like "We Are The Champions" that Queen used to be so good at.

How old is that album anyway? They started playing with Rodgers in 2004(?IIRC) you'd think they'd have better stuff by now.
"Vince, have you ever tried playing an expensive bass?" - Polarbear.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

nzsimon1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by nzsimon1 »

I have the DVD and it seems to have been mixed by Brian may the guitar is way to loud and the vocals are just lost back there in the mix somewhere
The bad co and free bits are ok