Moderator: Capt. Black

Bg
Site Admin
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 2269 times
Been liked: 3917 times

Line6 M13 Review

Post by Bg »

Slash-Ed asked for a review and though I'm not in a position to give a full in-depth review yet, I can give an overview of what I like and what I don't like about it.

Ok, in case you don't know, the Line6 M13 is the latest in the line of effects modellers from Line 6 (though there is an M9 out now, basically the same with less features in a smaller box). It incorporates all the modellers previously made by Line 6 (DL4 Delays, DM4 distortion, JM4 Looper, MM4 Modulation and FM4 Filter - plus reverbs from the Verbzilla) - only they've improved them. If that wasn't enough, with the latest update they added over 16 new effects, including EQ's, Parametric EQ's etc etc etc

As far as looks go - someone said it was ugly, it's not its robust and practical - what can be more sexy than a big black box with a shitload of pushbuttons in chrome? Heres a pic next to some other pedals for scale:

and compared to the DL4 its positively beautiful.

Heres some of the company blurb
Boasting over 100 distinctive distortions, velvety reverbs, juicy delays and more, M13 Stompbox Modeler gives you total tone control. Use up to four different effects - or four of the same - simultaneously. Stompbox-style knobs deliver on-the-fly tweaking.

Order the effects any way you want. Create different pedal board effect arrangements, or "scenes," to instantly recall an entire song's stompboxes. Save a scene for your metal band, one for your Top 40 gig…you get the picture. No more tearing up Velcro® just to change one or two pedals! Save up to 48 scenes and back them up to your computer using the MIDI in/out.

The 28-second looper is always at the ready with dedicated footswitches for Play/Stop, Half Speed, Reverse, Undo/Redo and more. Each metal footswitch can withstand constant stomping and rock and roll-style abuse.

Easy to use, built like a tank and sporting an on-board chromatic tuner, M13 Stompbox Modeler can maximize your pedal board (or even replace it) like no other pedal can.
And they aren't wrong - its stupidly easy to use, just like normal stomboxes, you want more gain? Just turn the gain knob, more depth? yes the depth knob etc etc etc - once a model is assigned to the position on the board, just hit the footswitch and the top lcd for that column lights up showing which knob is assigned to what. It truly is a doddle. In normal mode, it autosaves too, so any changes you make are always saved (you can turn this off)

Ok - LIKES:
Over 100 high quality effects (even some of the guys at thegearpage like them ;) ) - its bloody expensive new, RRP is just under 1400 bucks though I'm sure the RS guys would cut you a deal - but that works out at $14 a pedal :shock: One of the new models is a Whammy that is as good as the Digitech I owned.

the delays, reverbs, modulation stuff is stunning, absolutely brilliant. The Filters are great especially the Wah's - its worth getting an expression pedal just for those models :) (and you can control lots of other great shit with it too, speeding up delays/phase/flange etc, and you can set it to control more than one effect at the same time) And don't forget you can use any combination of these, in any order - so you want 4 different delays on at once, do it!

the overdrive/fuzz/distortion models I was fully prepared to be let down by, just in case they were fizzy and obviously digital. I would say they are pretty awesome too, just for the variety of pedals modeled and their sound and tone, they do take a bit more work to get to the point where they sound good and some of the parameters can be a bit misleading, but my screamer is relegated solely to backup duties now. They're all very useable, and sound great to my ears.

Bright leds above each button remind you what effect type is stored in that position, after that its down to memory :)

Did I mention it has two expression pedal inputs! That would be crazy :D

A new pedal a day for the next 100 days ;)

Line 6 updates - they just added in over 16 new models including a script phaser, the ability to have an extra 32 scenes etc etc etc.

Its stereo :) and its True Bypass (by switching relay, noisless as far as I can detect)

The looper - apart from the good fun to be had ripping off KT Tunstall, its invaluable for tweaking your settings. Record a loop of you rythym, solo whatever, add the effects you want and tweak while it plays back. There it is all setup for you, no more playing a bit, bending over and adjusting the gain, playing a bit, fiddling with the EQ etc etc etc.

Easy to use - they weren't fecking kidding, its stupidly easy to use, I kind of miss delving into the manual every 15 minutes or so :(

I like lots of the other shit on here, too much to mention.

Ok, dislikes:

The price, I got mine 2nd hand from John T, thanks mate - its awesome :) Though I'm sure Matt/Dave will cut you a deal.

Its heavy - sturdiness comes with a price.

The tuner - yes its built in but I imagine its a bitch to see in daylight, but if you only plan to play on dimly lit stages - throw the pitchblack away.

Autosave - yep a godsend at times, a pain in the arse at others - you've got your patches sorted then you mess something up before you power down/switch scenes. Its there next time you switch back to that scene. You can turn this off and save stuff manually - you could also get your effects sorted then copy them somewhere that you never overwrite, but do you do PC backups?

Pedal order is defaulted from left to right - you can change the ordering though, for me I'm used to right to left, took me about 15 minutes to figure out thats why my delays sounded shit when I hit the distortion pedal ;)

NO USB PORT - must have saved 50 bucks there fellas, it takes about 30 mins to load new firmware via midi, got to hope the cat doesn't pull the leads out. Back up anything you want to keep before you do a firmware upgrade, it all gets wiped.

The looper is mono - lots of great features and I guess if it was stereo the time would be halved to 15 seconds (30 seconds in the norm, or a minute in half speed mode) - minor quibble.

The addition of 32 more scenes sounds great, till you realise you actually have to bend over and twist a knob to access these - why not just put it on a different footswitch? hit the scene button then the tap tempo button within 2 seconds etc... would have been much more useable. The good thing is the product manager for the M13/M9 actually takes suggestions like this onboard - amazing ;)

Most of these are minor quibbles really, and outweighed by the quality of this multi-effects box, its awesome just to know that I don't actually need to buy another pedal ever again ;) (though I'm sure I probably will lol)

In conclusion and bearing in mind that I haven't scratched the surface of the possibilities with this modeller yet - apart from the price, which is a fair old wedge of cash, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this to anyone, as for reliability I haven't read anything about major stuff (this has been out in the US for over a year now) and its got tons and tons of toys to play with - but thats what you'll end up doing, playing your guitar rather than trying to figure out how to select a delay with mod, and how to set it up. Shit, I've got a basic scene set up with compressor boost, overdrive, classic distortion (RAT), Fassel Wah, Trem, Univibe, 3 types of delay and 3 types of reverb - it took about 20 mins to set up and tune in how I like it. If you get one though - get/make an expression pedal (I converted my crybaby, anyone want to buy a hendrix wah board? ) its so much fun its probably illegal :twisted:

and the M9 will be just as much fun in a smaller box and a lot less stomp switches ;)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Hot_Grits
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Re: Line6 M13 Review

Post by Hot_Grits »

cool review. I'll be trying an M9 at the earliest convenience.
jeremyb wrote: Is it true about the bum sex before marriage thing being ok?

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Hot_Grits wrote:cool review. I'll be trying an M9 at the earliest convenience.
I have a history of getting things that are way bigger than I'll ever need - the M13 is complete overkill but was a steal ;) The M9 should be about right :D I wish I could go into depth about the filter modeller but I just haven't had chance to play with that section much yet, I need to send the missus away for a weekend. Still trying to decide which wah model to use!

Thats something I missed - with the expression pedal attached you can select the wah sweep start and end points, so you could have the pedal heel down and select it to start from halfway through the sweep and max at full toe down etc - it saves loosening off the screw inside the wah and turning the pot etc ;)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Hot_Grits
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Hot_Grits »

BG wrote:
Hot_Grits wrote:cool review. I'll be trying an M9 at the earliest convenience.
I have a history of getting things that are way bigger than I'll ever need - the M13 is complete overkill but was a steal ;) The M9 should be about right :D I wish I could go into depth about the filter modeller but I just haven't had chance to play with that section much yet, I need to send the missus away for a weekend. Still trying to decide which wah model to use!

Thats something I missed - with the expression pedal attached you can select the wah sweep start and end points, so you could have the pedal heel down and select it to start from halfway through the sweep and max at full toe down etc - it saves loosening off the screw inside the wah and turning the pot etc ;)
It's cool, I have a decent amount of previous on the FM4, and the M series is the same stuff only with better tracking apparently.
jeremyb wrote: Is it true about the bum sex before marriage thing being ok?

philipnz
PRS
PRS
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 37 times

Post by philipnz »

Good review BG. I used mine on Friday night. I did have a bit of trouble getting the levels right but thats more to do with not being able to set it up at gig volume in advance. I'll be doing that this week

Some of the flanger volumes are too high and I can't find a way to reduce them. probably just need more fiddling

I'll certainly be keeping it but i'm keeping a basic pedalboard of effects handy.

Got a huge gig this weekend and i may just play safe
Last edited by philipnz on Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Never put down to malice what can adequately be explained by stupidity

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

philipnz wrote:The whammy isn't that good - it's 2 octaves and you can make it one octave range but it starts one octave up. Maybe i need to look at it. "like a stone" for instance only pitch bends one octave up but you can't play it on the m13. Unless i'm wrong which i probably am.
Yeah you need to set it up like you do with wah ranges - set the heel back on your expression then adjust the start pos to zero (or -12 for one octave down etc) on the middle knob on the bottom row, set your toe down and adjust the same knob for your upper level (+12 for one octave up etc) - it kind of makes sense when you think about it :) So you could set it for anything in between really as well, like a tone and a half etc... I've just had a stupid idea of linking 4 together - wonder what happens if you feed 2 octaves up into 2 octaves up into 2 octaves up into etc :eek:

The levels do take a bit of tweaking, I spent an hour or so in the Manor when I got mine, went straight to a gig and had to adjust them again in a band context :)

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

that was a stupid idea, I've lost my hearing and all the dogs in the neighborhood are barking :eek:

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 659 times
Been liked: 566 times

Post by TmcB »

BG wrote:that was a stupid idea, I've lost my hearing and all the dogs in the neighborhood are barking :eek:
:lol: Pure awesome
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 166 times
Been liked: 104 times

Post by Aquila Rossa »

Have you managed to spill beer on it yet? :wink:

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 659 times
Been liked: 566 times

Post by TmcB »

Aquila Rosso wrote:Have you managed to spill beer on it yet? :wink:
Or something else :wink:
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

philipnz
PRS
PRS
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 37 times

Post by philipnz »

Ta BG, got it right not, tom morello here we come.
Never put down to malice what can adequately be explained by stupidity

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

philipnz wrote:Ta BG, got it right not, tom morello here we come.
cool, just don't try the 8 octave up thing.... :lol:

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Aquila Rosso wrote:Have you managed to spill beer on it yet? :wink:
beer? beers fine, its red wine that kills Line 6 gear :(

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

philipnz wrote:Ta BG, got it right not, tom morello here we come.
haha cool, I've just the last hour ripping into that solo :D so yep it does work :)

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 178 times

Post by mr_sooty »

Cool review!