Moderator: Capt. Black

Jenesis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Been liked: 1 time

It Might Get Loud

Post by Jenesis »

The long-awaited doco finally made it to town as part of the Film Festival, and I did not let the opportunity pass. And surprisingly, a sizeable crowd showed up - I was expecting to be the only one there at 6 on a weeknight. Guess there are a few people in this town with taste after all...

So anyway the general thrust of the film is that The Edge, Jimmy Page and Jack White get together in a kitted-out warehouse to share their views on music and their love for the guitar. To be honest I was surprised how little of this "summit meeting" made the film, as the bulk of the running time is made up of footage and reminiscences of the three separately as they tell of their formative years, influences and roads to the top. Most enjoyable scenes for me were the jam sessions which contrasted the three guitarists' styles - White's crazy abandon, Page's effortless swagger and The Edge's more cautious, precise approach. Quick snippets of The Edge's crazy mad effects setup were amazing, as was the opening scene of White building a bogan lapsteel/slide thingy out of firewood, a bit of wire and a Coke bottle. Inspiring stuff.

My only moan was that the sound was rather ho-hum, loud enough but just seemed to be in boring old stereo which was a bummer as I made a special effort to see it in the DTS theatre. Oh well, that's a small complaint.

Great entertainment and well worth a purchase when it comes to DVD. Recommenemended.

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 644 times
Been liked: 810 times

Re: It Might Get Loud

Post by hamo »

It might get watched.

By me, I mean.
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

blackstratblues
Gibson
Has liked: 415 times
Been liked: 488 times

Post by blackstratblues »

Meh, I missed it when it played here in Auckland. Been looking all over for a DVD (or even a torrent) but no luck. Can't wait to watch, especially the JP @ Headley Grange bit!

Swoop
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Swoop »

Last edited by Swoop on Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jenesis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Jenesis »

Swoop wrote:I wanted to see this in Tauranga when the festival was there... unfortunately I had to go to some really naff play for school.
Sounds like your priorities are the problem...
Swoop wrote: Edge? Meh.
Yeah, old Dave's my least favourite of the three by a country mile but I have to say I gained a bit of respect for him after watching this. Nice, self-deprecating bloke who is aware of his limitations and works on them if not around them. It seemed in a couple of bits he was struggling to keep up with Jack White's mental cranking too, but that's cool.

White is a madman - a true entertainer.

Swoop
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Swoop »

Last edited by Swoop on Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2269 times
Been liked: 3930 times

Post by Bg »

blackstratblues wrote:Meh, I missed it when it played here in Auckland. Been looking all over for a DVD (or even a torrent) but no luck. Can't wait to watch, especially the JP @ Headley Grange bit!
Worldwide DVD release date of December 22nd, nothing available anywhere at the moment :(
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 675 times
Been liked: 574 times

Post by TmcB »

Sweet, my Christmas present is sorted! Can't believed I missed it first up though.

I think the edge is a guitarist that really works with the band, Jimmy Page is the shining star of the band, and Jack White IS the band.

I like the fact that the styles are so varied. The edge might not have the chops that JP or Jack have, but he's got something going on that is purely his own. He's like the hero of everyday guitarists
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

Jenesis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Jenesis »

Agree, TMcB.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7840 times
Been liked: 4228 times

Post by jeremyb »

I saw it here in Chch when it was on at the film festival, didn't want it to end :(
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 210 times
Been liked: 662 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

tonymcbony wrote: I think the edge is a guitarist that really works with the band, Jimmy Page is the shining star of the band, and Jack White IS the band.
Nice call, and it sums up why I like (love) the edge. I'm also a works with the band kind of guy. I don't really give sweet fanny for the guitar, it just happens to be the instrument i play the best. i would be just as happy playing drums/bass/keys/mixing sound/producing, long as I'm involved in making the music and songs happen.

:oops: :oops: :cry: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :roll: :twisted: :) :king: :?: :idea: :? 8) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: 8) :? :shock: :?: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :evil: :evil: :evil: :twisted: :twisted: :roll: :roll:
two year old wanted 'daddy put in face'