Quick review: Ash J90 pickup and Seymour Duncan Custom 5

CD's, Gigs, Gear, anything you want!

Moderator: Capt. Black

Pakehendrix
Big Muff
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Quick review: Ash J90 pickup and Seymour Duncan Custom 5

Post by Pakehendrix »

Well just a quick review because I'm not a tone hound and will quickly run out of things to say.

First up, the J90:

Fanfuckingtastic. In this case it's a neck pickup, I believe in the P90 vein, though much softer in quality and attitude. It's got the right amount of output - I like neck pickups to be a little quieter than bridge pickups because of how I use them.

Tonally I would describe it as being somewhere between a single coil and a gorgeous, complex acoustic guitar. Cleans are pristine and crystalline, and it does love a bit of overdrive. Lead lines are full of character and it really sings when playing arpeggios.

4.9/5!

Seymour Duncan Custom 5:

My favourite bridge humbucker, and I heard it for the first time last night. It is very aggressive, loud and angry, and it really snarls. Cleans are humbuckery and a little dark, but it makes a wonderful counterpart to the clean, bright J90. With high gain, it really has a clear, distinct and punchy tone. It forced out the other guitarist's 335, and (AFAIK) it wasn't much louder - it just seemed to really fill out the right frequencies, and it made a truly awesome partnership with the Pigtronix Polysaturator. I would highly recommend this pickup for a guitarist in a single-guitar band, or to compliment/contrast with a single-coiler overdrive. We'll have to work with it in this band :wink:

The best thing, though, is how well these pickups work together. The middle position is really quite unique - it manages to balance the lovely cleans of a single coil with the powerful base (and bass) of a humbucker. Plenty of grunt without too much noise, and with good string definition.

4.5/5

Any questions or comments welcome, but in general, I would highly recommend this combination of pickups for anyone who likes to have the loud/quiet dynamic in their band. Individually, both pickups stand out, but together they're a match made in tone heaven :twisted: