Terexgeek
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1224 times
Been liked: 375 times

Re: Nickelback - Dark Horse ...

Post by Terexgeek »

Must admit I don't feel the depth of hate for Nickleback that y'all seem to, I don't really feel anything about 'em, but then I don't listen to radio stations that tend to play 'em either...

When I worked with Foal he operated a "compulsory change the station policy" when Nickleback was played, funny as hell, good times.

I think he was getting that way about Green Day too.
Tin arse!!

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2276 times
Been liked: 3990 times

Post by Bg »

Terexgeek wrote:Must admit I don't feel the depth of hate for Nickleback that y'all seem to, I don't really feel anything about 'em, but then I don't listen to radio stations that tend to play 'em either...
Yeah mostly this, I lkie a couple of the songs I've heard but I can probably count that number of songs by them I have heard on one hand - I've probably heard more but the dj hasn't told me who they were ;) I don't listen to 'rock radio' much at all, so clearly I've not been overexposed to them? They certainly seem to stir up a bit of emotion. Wonder why they get all that airplay then? I wonder what it is they're doing right and others aren't... good management?
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

badmotor
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by badmotor »

I've been trying to hunt down the quote from Chad that basically says that once Nickelback find a successful formula, they are going to stick to it like glue. So you can imagine if you don't like the sound and you listen to rock radio (lucky I don't) then you are going to hear that same Chad-sound over and over and over and over and over...

edit: yay! I can now correct my spelling.
Last edited by badmotor on Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hot_Grits wrote:Someone should print this thread out and hang it in an art gallery.

thehenderson
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by thehenderson »

Yeah I've read that too. Real inspiring stuff.

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

I can't bag anyone for wanting to do that. They're in the business to make money and that's fine by me.
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2276 times
Been liked: 3990 times

Post by Bg »

badmotor wrote:edit: yay! I can now correct my spelling.
but only in certain sections ;)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Semi-Pro
Stagg
Stagg

Post by Semi-Pro »

BG wrote:
Swt so nw i cn type lke ths to gt my point acrss real quickly!

And then edit it later on :evil:

Terexgeek
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1224 times
Been liked: 375 times

Post by Terexgeek »

Semi-Pro wrote:
BG wrote:
Swt so nw i cn type lke ths to gt my point acrss real quickly!

And then edit it later on :evil:
Unless someone quotes you and it's stuck like that....forever...
Tin arse!!

Some Bozo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Some Bozo »

badmotor wrote:I've been trying to hunt down the quote from Chad that basically says that once Nickelback find a successful formula, they are going to stick to it like glue. So you can imagine if you don't like the sound and you listen to rock radio (lucky I don't) then you are going to hear that same Chad-sound over and over and over and over and over...

edit: yay! I can now correct my spelling.
They certainly found a melody and stuck to it. Most of their songs have exactly the same up-then-down on the last syllable tune "how you reMIND me" etc
"You know something's gone badly wrong with the world when Prince has stopped singing about sex, and Morrissey has started."

DarcyPerry
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by DarcyPerry »

When I went to the Rolling Stones concert (Nickleback was the support act), I was surprised I knew all the Nickleback songs. The power of radio, eh? Yes, the Nickleback songs sound similar - perhaps they found a formula that worked for them and stuck to it? Their 4 song set sounded like a medley. :wink:

Another opinion I have formulated, is that Nickleback performed like a club band and thus were intimidated by the HUGE stage. Their lead singer went for a small run during one song and managed to get about 20m before fleeing back to the safety of his mic stand. The Rolling Stones owned the stage, the audience and anyone listening from their backyard. The band was on fire and Mick Jagger was running all night!

Nickleback had the young ones around me on the hill dancing. The Rolling Stones had everyone dancing. The Rolling Stones were awesome by the way... 8)
"It's all a gift... and I have to keep giving it back, or it goes away. If I start believing that it's all my doing, it's gonna be my undoing." - Stevie Ray Vaughan
http://www.darcyperry.co.nz

Vorbis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Vorbis »

I saw this thread and had a thought,

So this evening I googled John 'Mutt' Lange. Back in the 90's you had Def Lep, Bryan Adams, Shania Twain, Celine dion...all these artists that you could easily imagine performing each others' tracks. It got to the point where you could almost tell a track that 'Mutt' had produced or co-written.

I've always though Nickleback were a bit 'Muttish', and low and behold....guess what band/album Mutt is working with?

Dark Horse.
She told me baby when you race today just take along my love with you, and if ya knew how much I love you baby, nothin' could go wrong with you.

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

Vorbis wrote:I saw this thread and had a thought,

So this evening I googled John 'Mutt' Lange. Back in the 90's you had Def Lep, Bryan Adams, Shania Twain, Celine dion...all these artists that you could easily imagine performing each others' tracks. It got to the point where you could almost tell a track that 'Mutt' had produced or co-written.

I've always though Nickleback were a bit 'Muttish', and low and behold....guess what band/album Mutt is working with?

Dark Horse.
Ha, funny you should mention him. I saw his name alongside the 'producer' credit on.....

Back in Black, AC/DC

Fits right in with Celine and Chad. :lol:
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

NZRS-Dave
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by NZRS-Dave »

Hey, now I was expecting some horse head in my bed when I woke up this morning ... but no. There is no hgue amount of hate for them.

And I was wrong... Track 6 'Getting High' has some shred in it. Some tasty stuff.

Solo is at 2:22 ... start with wah and then goes to some nice arpeggios ... then a repeat of the arpeggios at 3:42 for a bit.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0o3fQU2hYBQ[/youtube]

Pakehendrix
Big Muff

Post by Pakehendrix »

ash wrote:
Vorbis wrote:I saw this thread and had a thought,

Dark Horse.
Ha, funny you should mention him. I saw his name alongside the 'producer' credit on.....

Back in Black, AC/DC

Fits right in with Celine and Chad. :lol:
I've never heard of a producer who so exclusively works with shit bands :?

Polar Bear
Burns BHM
Has liked: 340 times
Been liked: 342 times

Post by Polar Bear »

Timbaland.

For the record AC/DC and Def Lep are completely un-shit.
Zephyr - Wellington's Leading Covers Band

http://zephyrband.co.nz/
https://www.facebook.com/ZephyrBandNZ