Moderator: Capt. Black

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Marshall Vintage Modern - Honeymoon review

Post by slash-ed »

It's late in the afternoon, and I thought I'd put in my initial 2c about this amp, since there are so many conflicting reviews out and about.

Background - The VM (not to be confused with JVM) is as 1 1/2 channel amp. It has two "dynamic ranges" - basically, the Low range is supposed to be modelled after a JTM45 (IIRC), and then with High range, you kick in an extra gain stage. It also has separate "frequency selective" preamp gain knobs, Detail (upper registers) and Body (lower registers). Your standard EQ knobs, a digital reverb, and a mid boost. Oh, and it has KT66s in the power amp.

Basically, none of that really means anything to me. :lol: I've never played a JTM45, or been aware of any special, vaunted 60s/70s Marshall KT66 tone... So I'll try and describe how it sounds to my ears.

The main selling point of this amp, for me, was the extreme responsiveness to playing dynamics. This is something I had personally found to be lacking on amps that I had played/owned that were geared towards high gain.

In my mind, it's almost like the concept of that Dyna Drive thing Boss came up with, except not shit (I'm simply inferring that those pedals were shit, I've never seen anyone actually play or even enthuse about one). On Low Dynamic Range (LDR), with the preamp gain knobs cranked up decently high (just can't help myself, even if it's not a gain monster :lol:), playing with a light touch can get you a nice, warm yet crisp clean tone. Give an open chord a bash and you'll start to hear an AC/DC-esque snarl. Plugging in a single-coil based guitar and you'll get yummy crispy cleans without needing to tip-toe around on your picking hand.

Kicking in the extra gain stage brings a hefty volume increase, as well as a bumping up the meaty snarliness and the gain. The tone here without the mid boost engaged is not exactly FAT, but kinda like a lean, mean fighting machine. To me, at this level you start to approach the rhythm tones of Slash on the Appetite album. Snarly and pretty bitey, but not as thick as his later tone on the Illusion albums. Gain here is decent, "hotrod" Marshall I guess, but nothing over the top.

Now kicking in the mid boost gives the High range a huge kick in the pants. Gain jumps up a notch, sounds gets faaaat, and you can start to get some chunk on the palm mutes. Wound up a bit on the master I'd say this would probably be good enough for classic metal.

Winding the volume back down on the high range, you can still get a pretty decent clean with a bit of hair around the edges. That's one of the things I really like about this amp. Winding the volume down heaps cleans up really musically, and doesn't seem to kill the tone much/at all.

I've briefly tried hitting the front end with boosts from my GT6, and it can certainly be wounded up to approach the "JCM800 on steroids/SD-1/TS9" type of tone. For some reason, due to the way it's designed, apparently you can't easily get a solo boost going for the High range. It just bumps your gain up instead. I've found this to be true, and the way to go would be to simply wind your volume down to 8 or whatever during the rest of the song, and open it full throttle for a solo.

Reverb is kinda dark, but it's there, and it's good enough for me not to worry about it.

That's all I can think of at the moment, oh, and if you try it at a shop, this is an amp that can quite easily be made to sound horrible! The first time I tried it through a stock Marshall quad, it sounded SHIT. Then I hit it up through the Greenback loaded matching cab and it sounded beautiful. Putting it through my V30 loaded 2x12 is not quite as midsy but tighter on the low end which is a plus for me.

All in all, a pretty cool amp (Currently on offer for a great price), with a lot of stuff I'm not used to that I'm keen to get a grip on!!

Hope that's useful to someone somewhere. :lol:

Edit: NZRS Matt and the Lower Hutt/Wellington RS guys were all pretty helpful in terms of information and letting me try out this, the JVM and various other things like that. CAB was also really helpful in answering my questions about the Splawn Pro Stock on TM, although in the end due to a screwed up sale my budget didn't extend that far anyway. Thanks guys! Don't think I've missed anyone. Oh well, we have the edit button back :lol:
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

Clarky
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 2 times

Re: Marshall Vintage Modern - Honeymoon review

Post by Clarky »

slash-ed wrote:...the way to go would be to simply wind your volume down to 8 or whatever during the rest of the song, and open it full throttle for a solo.
Yum, an amp that you can PLAY! 8)
Konx om Pax

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 168 times
Been liked: 251 times

Post by Capt. Black »

Cool review Slashy mate.

Welcome to the world of touch and volume sensitive dynamic amp control. You'll never go back to anything else without a fight.
:D

TMG 03
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by TMG 03 »

Thats a great review, and I would actually like to try one based on it.

Its official you are now an amp snob. :P

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore

Post by slash-ed »

Hah thanks fellas. Definitely not everyone's cup of tea, this amp. But I have a feeling I'm going to (hopefully) come out a better player for it. Argh, I'm used to getting gobs of preamp gain at nice quiet volumes, I'm actually kinda gutted I can't crank this amp as often as I'd like to, what with neighbours and being considerate and all... :lol:

Capt I can only imagine how loud your Marshall stack of doom must be :shock:

thehenderson
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by thehenderson »

Exciting times man! Take it to 10

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 168 times
Been liked: 251 times

Post by Capt. Black »

slash-ed wrote:Hah thanks fellas. Definitely not everyone's cup of tea, this amp. But I have a feeling I'm going to (hopefully) come out a better player for it. Argh, I'm used to getting gobs of preamp gain at nice quiet volumes, I'm actually kinda gutted I can't crank this amp as often as I'd like to, what with neighbours and being considerate and all... :lol:

Capt I can only imagine how loud your Marshall stack of doom must be :shock:
No son, I don't think anyone can imagine that loud.

thehenderson
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by thehenderson »

Sounds like you're describing ALL tube amps though man. Seriously, most of the amps I've owned have done all that dynamics stuff. It sounds to me like you've been barking up the wrong tree with amps (line6 whaaat?). It's awesome that you've nailed the sound in your head, I'm stoked for you 8)

handsoffmatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 244 times

Post by handsoffmatt »

Congrats on the purchase Slash-ed. Yes, the VIntage Modern is an amp that takes a whil to learn to "drive", but once you DO..........Whoah Baby!!!!

Nice work :wink:
"Volume is tone" - EVH

Electrics: ESP/Fender/Gibson/.strandberg*/Godin/Washburn/Music Man/Knaggs/Squier/Vintage
Acoustic: Cole Clark/Godin/Takamine/Taylor
Amps: BOSS Katana Head / Friedman Smallbox

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore

Post by slash-ed »

thehenderson wrote:Sounds like you're describing ALL tube amps though man. Seriously, most of the amps I've owned have done all that dynamics stuff. It sounds to me like you've been barking up the wrong tree with amps (line6 whaaat?). It's awesome that you've nailed the sound in your head, I'm stoked for you 8)
Hah that may well be, as you know for the past little while I've been hitting the Recto-styled amps with my baggy pants, :lol:, but honestly, I've played a couple of DSLs, 900s etc that didn't match up in the dynamics thing. Granted, I've not yet actually really played around with a "desirable" Marshall... But for the present I'm having good fun with this one! :D

thehenderson
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by thehenderson »

DSLs and 900s are the most undynamic Marshalls!

Gelato
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Gelato »

Arghh, Marshall G.A.S. reignited :(

Luckily, they only have the 100W purple headed monster at my local RS, and I'd probably only be keen on the 50W one. In black...
My web site
My band's site

NZRS-Dave wrote:I can help with that cos I read something somewhere about it.

stuu
PRS McCarty
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by stuu »

Gelato wrote:Arghh, Marshall G.A.S. reignited :(

Luckily, they only have the 100W purple headed monster at my local RS, and I'd probably only be keen on the 50W one. In black...
careful what you say around these parts, NZRS_Matt/Dave might sneak one in there to surprise you next time you walk in.
PlukkyBoy wrote:My ability as a guitar player is easily outstripped by my abilities as a guitar buyer

Gelato
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Gelato »

stuu wrote:

careful what you say around these parts, NZRS_Matt/Dave might sneak one in there to surprise you next time you walk in.
Shhh, don't give away my thinly veiled cry for a good deal ;)
My web site
My band's site

NZRS-Dave wrote:I can help with that cos I read something somewhere about it.

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore

Post by slash-ed »

:lol:

I suffered similar inhibitions until I realised that the (dark, almost blue :lol:) purple ones were $1000 off :shock:

I was thinking about the 50W one vs 100W, but apparently these amps are designed to be 50W/100W RMS when driven, rather than rated that when clean, so they are supposedly slightly less grunty than other 100 watters. Although, sans-band, with thin carpet, it sounds bloody @#$@ing loud to me :lol: