meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Re: Original Album Series - Dokken

Post by willow13 »

Hot_Grits wrote:
matman wrote:
Hot_Grits wrote: Dokken and Ratt are in the same boat for me: both would be significantly improved with different singers, both from a lyric writing and a yelling into the mic perspective.
I soooo agree with this - Lynch and Demartini are two players I really like from a sound/style perspective but have never listened to a great deal because they were in bands I just didn't care for (mainly due to exactly the two aspects HG has mentioned).
Yeah, true cereal packet lyricists, even for the era/genre. Those dudes made Kip Winger look like something of a poet.
it's funny because that is the exact reason I don't really like van halen (roth era mainly)....dave's comedic singing/lyric style make them really hard to listen to in spite of eddies playing....but its also one of the things I love about dokken and ratt. It's music I don't have to think about or "get"...I just sit back and ratt n roll
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

oh dear it looks like old george put his foot in it

GEORGE LYNCH Says He 'Misspoke' When He Announced Reunion Of Classic DOKKEN Lineup - Feb. 24, 2010
Legendary guitarist George Lynch (LYNCH MOB, SOULS OF WE, DOKKEN) is in damage-control mode these days and wants to retract any of his earlier statements concerning a possible reunion of the classic lineup of DOKKEN. According to an official press release, Lynch "apologizes for being preemptive and [claims that he] just simply misspoke in his excitement." He says, "We are TALKING about a possible reunion for 2011, but it's still in early stages!"
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

badmotor
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by badmotor »

Hot_Grits wrote:Someone should print this thread out and hang it in an art gallery.

Hot_Grits
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Hot_Grits »

willow13 wrote:
it's funny because that is the exact reason I don't really like van halen (roth era mainly)....dave's comedic singing/lyric style make them really hard to listen to in spite of eddies playing....but its also one of the things I love about dokken and ratt. It's music I don't have to think about or "get"...I just sit back and ratt n roll
We seem to have opposite experiences.

I always found Roth's lyrics somewhat smart for the genre, while keeping the fun angle. Y'know, cornball jokes mixed with highbrow literary references. The 'high art meets pizza delivery' approach, as Dave would call it. I really identified with that approach to enjoying art and culture: Salman Rushdie and cheeseburgers.

But then again I've always found po-faced rock/metal lyrics really funny. For me it was cool that Dave came along amongst crap like the scorpions, quiet riot and journey and consciously decided to not act like he was serious, dumb or desperate to cram the word love in there.
jeremyb wrote: Is it true about the bum sex before marriage thing being ok?

Tsuken
In the Name of Vai

Post by Tsuken »

Hot_Grits wrote:
willow13 wrote:
We seem to have opposite experiences.

I always found Roth's lyrics somewhat smart for the genre, while keeping the fun angle. Y'know, cornball jokes mixed with highbrow literary references. The 'high art meets pizza delivery' approach, as Dave would call it. I really identified with that approach to enjoying art and culture: Salman Rushdie and cheeseburgers.

But then again I've always found po-faced rock/metal lyrics really funny. For me it was cool that Dave came along amongst crap like the scorpions, quiet riot and journey and consciously decided to not act like he was serious, dumb or desperate to cram the word love in there.
'tis why I don't like Van Hagar anywhere near as much; Sammy just doesn't have the way with words that made Roth-era Van Halen so fun.
My twitting tweets of twitterness

@ash lol/RT "@ChelseaVPeretti Had fun in the Cinema Tent tonight w @adultswim @robcorddry #bonnaroo #fonz #hottubtimemachineintonationjokes #childrenshospital #mud #pee" //by @Jenesis

Here be bloggins

Jenesis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Jenesis »

Yeah, Sammy's lyrics were just bog standard "love is forever, she's an angel, what a woman" shit for the most part. Dull.

Dave's were a bit of that, a bit of partying, a bit of smut, a bit of comedy, a lot of yelping.

Jenesis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Jenesis »

Don't dare diss Diamond Dave, dude. Dig?

Hot_Grits
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Hot_Grits »

Frey wrote:Yeah he totally brings a whole intellectual aspect to rock
Compared to Dokken and Ratt he sure does. Context of the thread and all.

Outside of the context of the thread: Dave is smarter than you.
jeremyb wrote: Is it true about the bum sex before marriage thing being ok?

Tsuken
In the Name of Vai

Post by Tsuken »

Jenesis wrote:Don't dare diss Diamond Dave, dude. Dig?
you sir, win. 8)
My twitting tweets of twitterness

@ash lol/RT "@ChelseaVPeretti Had fun in the Cinema Tent tonight w @adultswim @robcorddry #bonnaroo #fonz #hottubtimemachineintonationjokes #childrenshospital #mud #pee" //by @Jenesis

Here be bloggins