crowbgood1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 349 times
Been liked: 249 times

Powered Speakers

Post by crowbgood1 »

I am going to buy some powered speakers... The Tapco 15" Thump seem interesting. $900each

Does anyone know from experience if they are good? What else should I be looking at in that price range?
A sure cure for seasickness is to sit under a tree.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1364 times
Been liked: 2100 times

Re: Powered Speakers

Post by GrantB »

Not sure about that brand but we've been using powered Proels for years without any problems. Our whole system including monitors are all self powered and it is a nice feeling knowing that if one blows you still have enough to continue the night with. Of course if the desk shits itself your still completely farked.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

RUDENBARK
Gibson

Post by RUDENBARK »

Yeah, that's what I use, they're actually very nice speakers. About my only major gripe is that they only came out with 200Wers, a 400Wer would have been nice.
They have very nice sound quality (reason I ended up settling for the "Thumper") compared to similar stuff in that price range. Can be a bit too bassy if you're not careful. But having said that the bass sounds really nice, and they've an equalizer on the back if it's too much.
Overall, a VERY GOOD buy for that price range. Though $900 is maybe a bit much, seen them for around $700 usually for a while now.
You have the right to remain silent... But I wanna hear you scream!

NZRS-Dave
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by NZRS-Dave »

Tapco's have been discontinued now, replaced by the Mackie Thumps at $999 from memory. They look the same, but are now made by Mackie and have a couple of upgraded parts in them ... some power.

They work well, but they are only 200w with a 400w peak.

I've used them, I like the EQ and EQ bypass option.

We don't really have anything else in that size at that price point or cheaper. There were some dB Technologies speakers, but am not sure if we can still get them and what the specs.

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 209 times
Been liked: 657 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

NZRS-Dave wrote:Tapco's have been discontinued now, replaced by the Mackie Thumps at $999 from memory. They look the same, but are now made by Mackie and have a couple of upgraded parts in them ... some power.

They work well, but they are only 200w with a 400w peak.

I've used them, I like the EQ and EQ bypass option.

We don't really have anything else in that size at that price point or cheaper. There were some dB Technologies speakers, but am not sure if we can still get them and what the specs.

I may be pickier than most, but I would never trust a Mackie product in a pro situation. I've seen too many breakdowns. I would look into H&K speakers, or powered JBL. I have a set of Proel Monitors which have been flawless and hard working, but they aren't powered. Personally, I would prefer to carry a small amp rack, and get passive speakers.

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 170 times
Been liked: 252 times

Post by Capt. Black »

Silly name eh. We have a pair of the Tapco Thump speakers in one of the rooms at the Manor. They're Mackie's cheaper range. They are good value I reckon. Can serve as monitors or small FOH speakers.
They're not the most rugged but they're by no means fragile. Very easy to carry around and no bits sticking out that can be broken off by accident.
Good basic EQ controls on the back but the frequencies seem to be just right for what we need. The EQ can be switched out too. Pass through XLR plugs so they can be chained together with one or more fold-back speakers.
We've found they have a lot of mid range cut through which makes them very useful with loud bands in rehearsal as well as effective fold-back live.
We usually take one to Mysterons gigs with a small mixer for our keyboards player. This gives him his own full range fold-back for his two keyboards and he can take a monitor feed from the desk through his mixer as well. The Tapcos can handle Mysterons onstage volume levels with ease.

If you can spring for the extra cost I would go for the higher end Mackie or Proel powered speakers. Mainly for ruggedness and probably a bit better internals. But I think you wouldn't be disappointed with Tapco Thumps. I doubt they'll let you down. I've seen a few bands using them live and haven't heard any complaints abut them in general. Besides if you ever upgrade your system these would still be very useful to you.

crowbgood1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by crowbgood1 »

I want to use them for rehearsal, small gigs and also as a low volume PA at my restaurant for acoustic guitar and vocals.

I think they would do the band work but will the still sound good at low volume??

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 170 times
Been liked: 252 times

Post by Capt. Black »

crowbgood1 wrote:I want to use them for rehearsal, small gigs and also as a low volume PA at my restaurant for acoustic guitar and vocals.

I think they would do the band work but will the still sound good at low volume??
Hehehe I don't recall anyone ever using them at low volume....

But nah they should be fine. They're pretty quiet, clear sound and there's no fans to make noise in a acoustic/restaurant situation.

crowbgood1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by crowbgood1 »

Cheers... I'll go check some out tomorrow

NZRS-Dave
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by NZRS-Dave »

bbrunskill wrote: I may be pickier than most, but I would never trust a Mackie product in a pro situation. I've seen too many breakdowns. I would look into H&K speakers, or powered JBL. I have a set of Proel Monitors which have been flawless and hard working, but they aren't powered. Personally, I would prefer to carry a small amp rack, and get passive speakers.
Really?

That's bizarre because my experience is different. Yes, I work for the Rockshop, yes we sell Mackie ... so I feel that I do have to say this ... but I wouldn't recommend them if I thought that someone was going to have a bad experience with them.

I recommend them because of their reliability. I can think of three Mackie products break down on me in all the years I have sold them. 2 x SRM350s (small 10" powered speakers) and a powered amp box. But I fixed the powered amp box as the master control ribbon cable hadn't been secured properly in the factory and had worked itself loose - so no problem.

However, I understand that everyone's experiences are different and everyone mileage varies.

rocklander
no offense, but I'm not a guitarist

Post by rocklander »

we gigged in frenzy and sounzkiwi with an all mackey rig for a couple of years. only problem I remember having was the desk had a problem, but IIRC it was just a fuse.. sweet sounding kit (can't remember the model numbers, but it was a pair of big @rse 18" subs and pair of 15" tops), and I'd be more than happy to have one as my main rig again if I could afford it... never would be able to though :| .. it was a sweet rig.. I miss it a lot.
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

RUDENBARK
Gibson

Post by RUDENBARK »

crowbgood1 wrote:I want to use them for rehearsal, small gigs and also as a low volume PA at my restaurant for acoustic guitar and vocals.

I've used in all sorts of positions and situations - prac, live FOH, foldback, fully cranked, low volume; used with electric, acoustic, and mic. Honestly, I reckon they're brill for any situation, very versatile and always sound good.
Specifically for a low volume with acoustic and mic (a setup I use mine for), trust me you won't be disappointed.
Have you had a chance to try them out, have a listen in the shop?
NZRS-Dave wrote:I've used them, I like the EQ and EQ bypass option.

Had mine for a while now, only had to use the equalizer for the first time the other night (sounded a bit tinny at prac (new prac space)). Sounded okay, but yeah it's really good that you can opt to bypass. And often daisychain mine too; either use mine for foldback and daisy into FOH, or use it for FOH and daisy to foldback.

Actually when I was first looking for an active speaker, was really eyeing up the cheaper dB options to start with. But listening to them, the Thumps sounded sooo much better. Like I said, it was just the 200W issue that I wasn't too keen on (was intending to get a 400W). But it's not too much of an issue really (though the extra poke would be nice, lol); loud enough for a small-med venue, and for anything bigger just hook up directly to FOH (ie for the sort of situations where the band would be mic'ed up anyway).

NZRS-Dave
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by NZRS-Dave »

I remmeber this guy from the Coast bought a nearly $20k rig for raves. He does five a year and bought the 2 x SA1532 and 2 x SWA2801s.

That's the 2 x 15 three way top bins and the 2/3 man lift 2 x 18 sub bins.

He came in at 6pm to wind them up ... holy crap balls ... they were amazing. The snare drums in the shop didnae like them that much.

RUDENBARK
Gibson

Post by RUDENBARK »

Sorry to go off topic a bit here.

Dave - if one was wanting to match a sub to a Thump PA system (ie the speakers of topic), what would you recommend? Or, do you think they need a sub?

(I actually think they sound pretty okay bass-wise as is, but then again mostly use mine for guitar. So pretty much an "out of interest" query (for wider applications etc))

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 209 times
Been liked: 657 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

Will be fine for acoustic and vocals but will sound decidedly average for a full band, IMO of course.

Dave, I've found Mackie SRM450's unreliable, blowing tweeters, woofers and going into thermal shutdown mode way too often, and not under insane use either. I have heard that the Ver. 2 Mackies are better.
I also have a Mackie VLZ desk which is far noisier than it should be.

To be honest I'm a gear snob both with guitars and even more with sound gear. To me, Mackie is a Squire.
Not terrible, but far from a pro piece of gear. And I always try to get better gear than I need, then grow into it.