Moderator: Capt. Black

Jenesis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Been liked: 1 time

Anvil: The Story Of Anvil

Post by Jenesis »

Alternately hilarious and touching documentary about Canadian metal band still struggling to hit it big after thirty years of toil. Though they started out playing alongside megabands such as Bon Jovi, Mötley Crüe and Metallica, Anvil never took off and were reduced to releasing a slew of self-produced albums and playing in clubs while their contemporaries raked in megabucks at packed stadiums. The film starts with the band going on a European tour organised by the guitarist’s new Russian girlfriend - alarm bells sound – which predictably goes from bad to worse and includes some moments which made me wonder why they didn’t just chuck it all in and fly home. The epic “Monsters Of Transylvania” metal festival has to be seen to be believed. True Spinal Tap-itude.

Band stalwarts Steve “Lips” Kudlow and Robb Reiner (not the bowling ball-headed director) are lifelong friends, and refreshingly normal guys free of ego - just ordinary working stiffs who keep the band going for the “joy” of it and in the hope of that elusive big break. Lips’ introductory scene is slightly surreal as he drives his delivery truck through the snow and goes off on a lengthy ramble about cafeteria menus. At this this stage I had serious doubts about whether he was grounded in reality. In fact the guy is really grounded and may well be the most upbeat, optimistic musician I have ever seen, even spouting his thankfulness for the cataclysmic European tour experience. No Lars Ulrich style tantrums here, which is bizarrely refreshing. Just a few good old fashioned arguments followed up by group hugs.

Unfortunately, as with other documentaries of this ilk, some scenes feel a bit rigged such as when the band contact bigtime metal producer Chris Tsangarides who drops everything to produce their new album - though in fairness they had worked with him before and it may have been done in the spirit of metal brotherhood. He also has some rather sobering truths for the band. As a nice turnaround to the band’s relentless stagnation the climactic gig has a feelgood payoff, though again felt a bit staged or overly convenient. Rabid Anvil fans “Cut Loose” and “Mad Dog” pop up occasionally throughout the film and are a hoot, but should be a warning to us all about the ridiculousness of the middle-aged metal fan.

Worthy.

thehenderson
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Re: Anvil: The Story Of Anvil

Post by thehenderson »

This is such a good movie. Not really anything to do with metal, more to do with the amazing relationships these guys have.

Jenesis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Jenesis »

Yep, good guys.

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 353 times
Been liked: 663 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

Watched a few months ago. It's quite a sad story really, especially as they did seem like such decent guys, but I guess if you have that dream.

Was nice to read the notes at the end and see they did get some success on the back of the film, did a few decent tours in a support role, etc.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

Some Bozo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Some Bozo »

It's aboot dignity
"You know something's gone badly wrong with the world when Prince has stopped singing about sex, and Morrissey has started."

raz
Hagstrom

Post by raz »

Some Bozo wrote:It's aboot dignity
Dignity and metal are seldom seen in the same sentence

rocklander
no offense, but I'm not a guitarist

Post by rocklander »

won a copy of this off the rock this week.. still waiting for it to arrive.
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

Polar Bear
Burns BHM
Has liked: 340 times
Been liked: 342 times

Post by Polar Bear »

It's a really good film, very well directed too. No fucking around making the guys seem like cocks, or absolute angels. Just a true documentary of what they are and what they do. I gave it 9 Vees out of a possible 10 vees.
Zephyr - Wellington's Leading Covers Band

http://zephyrband.co.nz/
https://www.facebook.com/ZephyrBandNZ

DarcyPerry
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by DarcyPerry »

Some Bozo wrote:It's aboot dignity
Steel capped? :wink:
"It's all a gift... and I have to keep giving it back, or it goes away. If I start believing that it's all my doing, it's gonna be my undoing." - Stevie Ray Vaughan
http://www.darcyperry.co.nz

sambrowne
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sambrowne »

Just saw this. Without wanting to ruin the lovefest about it (and I totally agree that they are awesome, and nice, and their relationship is great etc), the main problem is Lips' singing is shithouse. He is a killer guitar player and Reiner is a serious fucking heavy metal drummer. Lips' lyrics and singing are horrible but everyone seems to ignore the fact and instead just keep on keeping on. Anyway, nice that they're getting some kind of career now from the doco.

AmpShop
CustomAudioThingz

Post by AmpShop »

sambrowne wrote:Just saw this. Without wanting to ruin the lovefest about it (and I totally agree that they are awesome, and nice, and their relationship is great etc), the main problem is Lips' singing is shithouse. He is a killer guitar player and Reiner is a serious fucking heavy metal drummer. Lips' lyrics and singing are horrible but everyone seems to ignore the fact and instead just keep on keeping on. Anyway, nice that they're getting some kind of career now from the doco.
Which seminal/high-influential bands of that era did have "good" vocals and/or lyrics?
THE AMP SHOP LTD
Boutique Amplifiers, Guitars & Effects
Repairs, Modifications & Custom Work
http://www.ampshop.co.nz

Pakehendrix
Big Muff

Post by Pakehendrix »

CustomAudioBoutique wrote:
Which seminal/high-influential bands of that era did have "good" vocals and/or lyrics?
+1

sambrowne
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sambrowne »

CustomAudioBoutique wrote:
sambrowne wrote:Just saw this. Without wanting to ruin the lovefest about it (and I totally agree that they are awesome, and nice, and their relationship is great etc), the main problem is Lips' singing is shithouse. He is a killer guitar player and Reiner is a serious fucking heavy metal drummer. Lips' lyrics and singing are horrible but everyone seems to ignore the fact and instead just keep on keeping on. Anyway, nice that they're getting some kind of career now from the doco.
Yeah fair call but his vocal delivery is unusually terrible and without melody beyond a sort of atonal yelling.

sambrowne
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sambrowne »

'tallica have always had cool vocals, if somewhat patchy lyrics (well, lyrics that are as crap as all other metal bands')

Some Bozo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Some Bozo »

I quite like lips' singing and most of his lyrics, the real howlers are few and far between. But yeah, a song that starts off with "Life can be just like a Gameboy" is probably not going to end well.
"You know something's gone badly wrong with the world when Prince has stopped singing about sex, and Morrissey has started."