Moderator: Capt. Black

thehenderson
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Re: John Mayall at the Civic. 15th April 2010

Post by thehenderson »

bluesbass wrote:
Some Bozo wrote:I see Henderson's back a-trolling lately after a bit of a break from it. He's talking about John Mayer.
Oh, right.
He's a cock.
Bluebass, you deserve a huge medal for your brain. You say what everyone thinks but are too afraid to say.

TMG 03
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by TMG 03 »

bluesbass wrote:
TMG 03 wrote:I got that DVD of his with Clapton ,Taylor etc and It was pretty shite. Put me right of spending any money to see him.
:?
Thats a tad harsh... IMHO.
I'm not a huge fan of John's but there are some very good bits in that DVD, as there were last night.
Admittedly, Mick Taylor couldn't have looked any less uninspired, and Clapton's initial few songs with John and (guest trombonist - :shock: ) Chris Barber were pretty lame.

Whitington was great.

I wouldn't have let that one DVD put me off seeing John (particularly as it was 6 years or so ago, with an almost completely different band)... and didn't.
Yes there where a few good bits , but the gig was pretty average. You are right about it almost feeling like watching a band at the Crest on a Sunday. That what I was thinking . IMO he is a British Chuck Berry. Turns up and changes the key on everybody. Nothing seems to flow or build or even appear to be from the same song sheet.

Did he wear a singlet? :P

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2265 times
Been liked: 3910 times

Post by Bg »

TMG 03 wrote:[Did he wear a singlet? :P
thankfully not... and didn't play guitar at all either ;)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 608 times
Been liked: 946 times

Post by foal30 »

bass nerd writes;

Rzab has a pretty far out collection of early Fender Basses including one of Mr Pastorius's.
Genuine Old Frontier Gibberish

Jenesis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Jenesis »

oh hai foal

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 178 times

Post by mr_sooty »

Just saw this gig at St James in Wellys. I was blown away, it was awesome. The rhythm section was amazing, fantastic drummer especially. Best snare sound I can remember hearing. Loved the guitarist (rocky?). Looked like 'The Ultimate Warrior' but sounded just like Gary Moore. Made me want to get a Les Paul - again. The band was phenomenally tight. I got shouted a ticket, so I was stoked. Also really impressed by the way Mayall met fans and signed autographs before and after the gig. Very cool to see.

SixGunLover
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by SixGunLover »

Cheers for the reviews, folks. I was tossing up whether or not to go to the Dunedin show. The Beano album changed my life, but that was almost entirely Eric Clapton's fault. I liked the Bluesbreakers stuff right up to (and including) Whittington, but this is a whole different deal (Mayall solo, with the new band).

I've decided to give it a miss. I checked out a bunch of vids of performances from this tour, and upon reading the mixed reviews here, decided to hang on to my $70.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

SixGunLover wrote:Cheers for the reviews, folks. I was tossing up whether or not to go to the Dunedin show. The Beano album changed my life, but that was almost entirely Eric Clapton's fault. I liked the Bluesbreakers stuff right up to (and including) Whittington, but this is a whole different deal (Mayall solo, with the new band).

I've decided to give it a miss. I checked out a bunch of vids of performances from this tour, and upon reading the mixed reviews here, decided to hang on to my $70.
I would say you did the right thing, its burst my bubble a bit, he used to be an excellent judge of guitarist, but this Rocky guy just shits potatoes :( He would have done better giving Gary Moore a call... at least it wouldn't have been an imitation ;) The man, is the man... but I wish I'd applied the Peter Green yardstick (would you go and see Peter Green now and feel dissapointed?) but I gave in... at least I shook his hand and said "Do you know who I am?"
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 178 times

Post by mr_sooty »

The sound at Wellington was excellent I thought, nicely mixed. The kit sounded amazing. Rockys tone was a little muddy for the rhythm stuff but pretty phat for the lead stuff. I get where BG's coming from in terms of Rocky being a Gary Moore clone, but after reading his pedigree on the John Mayall website, I'm starting to think maybe Gary Moore is a bit of a Rocky Athas clone. Sounds like maybe the Welly's gig was a bit better than the Auckland one, because the band were super tight and Rocky didn't fiddle with his amp once. I noticed he had no pedal tuner on the floor, he unplugged from the amp and plugged into a tuner at one point. I thoroughly enjoyed the gig, apart from the rather uninspiring opening act.

bluesbass
Gibson

Post by bluesbass »

I thought Rocky did a good job.
It's not a guitar based blues band after-all... the two keyboards give you a hint.

What is it about him and his playing that makes you think "Gary Moore clone"?
The fact he plays a Les Paul?
Persoanlly, I thought he was much more tasteful than your man Gary.

But then again, what do I know?
I'm just a struggling bass player.
The opinions expressed in the post above may differ from the opinions expressed by other people with different opinions.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

bluesbass wrote:I thought Rocky did a good job.
It's not a guitar based blues band after-all... the two keyboards give you a hint.

What is it about him and his playing that makes you think "Gary Moore clone"?
The fact he plays a Les Paul?
Persoanlly, I thought he was much more tasteful than your man Gary.

But then again, what do I know?
I'm just a struggling bass player.
Mostly the fact he was doing note for note GM runs at one point (you can't do those by accident ;) ) Not guitar based? Hmmmm, maybe not but:

Eric Clapton, Peter Green, Mick Taylor, Harvey Mandell, Walter Trout, Coco Montoya and Buddy Whittington all disagree with you ;)

bluesbass
Gibson

Post by bluesbass »

BG wrote: Mostly the fact he was doing note for note GM runs at one point (you can't do those by accident ;) )
Ok, I'll take your word for it, but what made them GM runs... as opposed to just "blues" runs?
The opinions expressed in the post above may differ from the opinions expressed by other people with different opinions.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

bluesbass wrote:
BG wrote: Mostly the fact he was doing note for note GM runs at one point (you can't do those by accident ;) )
Ok, I'll take your word for it, but what made them GM runs... as opposed to just "blues" runs?
want the tab? ;)

bluesbass
Gibson

Post by bluesbass »

BG wrote:
bluesbass wrote:
want the tab? ;)
Ha ha ha :D wouldn't do me no good no how

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Its more of a feel thing really, its just I look at the calibre and originality of the guys he's had in the band and that he's brought forward into the public eye, and I listened to Rocky and well, he didn't cut it for me, just my opinion I guess, but he's had such awesome guitarists in the past. Oh well :)