Moderator: Capt. Black

HANGMAN
Ashton
Ashton
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

DEFTONES - NEW ALBUM "DIAMOND EYES"

Post by HANGMAN »

Just copped this today.
Sounds solid on first couple listens, love the single "Diamond Eyes".
I need to listen to it more to get a good idea but right now it seems like good but standard Deftones fare - nothing startling or new but some good rock nonetheless.

anyone else got an opinion on this album yet?

dayl
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 456 times
Been liked: 409 times

Re: DEFTONES - NEW ALBUM "DIAMOND EYES"

Post by dayl »

Best Deftones album since around the fur.

Sure, I loved White Pony & self titled, Sat night.. not so much but this has something special going on imo.

HANGMAN
Ashton
Ashton

Post by HANGMAN »

Its grown on me alot !

Loving it right now :D

Surprised no-one else has an opinion on this album (yet)?

AmpShop
CustomAudioThingz

Post by AmpShop »

I like the single more than anything else I've heard from them in years.

Good chorus - Chino navigates the odd time sig well.

Sounds like Stef wrote the verse riff and Chino wrote the chorus?

I still miss when the songs were built around really standout riffs - the stuff that was on the first album and Around The Fur; rather than their current poor-man's-Messugah-in-the-verse and jangly-stuff-in-the-chorus approach (not really pumped on tuning down to G; A is as low as I like things to go :wink: ). Nevertheless, good song!
THE AMP SHOP LTD
Boutique Amplifiers, Guitars & Effects
Repairs, Modifications & Custom Work
http://www.ampshop.co.nz

Zorran
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Zorran »

ryan.. that was eerily my first thought when i heard the first song. stef wrote the verse and chino the chorus. for me im not super into that title track because its really straightforward structurewise.. like how the chorus is just the instant pop boom kinda deal. but for me this whole album is killer. ive been thrashing it for a wee while now (yes i know its only been released, bless the interwebs) and its in my top 3 albums ive heard in a while. karnivool - sound awake, katatonia - night is the new day.. and now diamond eyes. this album also took a bit to grow on me.. ala glassjaw - worship and tribute. definately worth the listen.
95 PRS McCarty, 97 PRS SAS, Reverend Manta Ray 290, Squier 20th Anniv Strat, Squier Classic Vibe Tele, Jap Epi LP, Suhr/Joe Barden/BKPs.
Axe FX,Peterson Stroborack, Line 6 Echo Pro

AmpShop
CustomAudioThingz

Post by AmpShop »

Zorran wrote:ryan.. that was eerily my first thought when i heard the first song. stef wrote the verse and chino the chorus. for me im not super into that title track because its really straightforward structurewise.. like how the chorus is just the instant pop boom kinda deal. but for me this whole album is killer. ive been thrashing it for a wee while now (yes i know its only been released, bless the interwebs) and its in my top 3 albums ive heard in a while. karnivool - sound awake, katatonia - night is the new day.. and now diamond eyes. this album also took a bit to grow on me.. ala glassjaw - worship and tribute. definately worth the listen.
Katatonia the Swedish band? I met them briefly when they were at the Matamp factory.

Worship and Tribute - listened to it for the first time in years, the other day - really only liked 3 songs. Hasn't stood the test of time for me.
THE AMP SHOP LTD

Basket Case
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 108 times

Post by Basket Case »

CustomAudioBoutique wrote: Katatonia the Swedish band? I met them briefly when they were at the Matamp factory.
8) One of my favourite bands. I didn't like Night is the New Day as much as The Great Cold Distance though.

Timi
Gibson

Post by Timi »

CustomAudioBoutique wrote:Worship and Tribute - listened to it for the first time in years, the other day - really only liked 3 songs. Hasn't stood the test of time for me.
I'd agree with that. Listened to it a few weeks back, nostalgic but it hasn't aged too well.

Only heard a couple of tracks off the new Deftones album. Still strikes me as going back to their old sound, which would probably be awesome if you are into that era of their music. Never been the biggest fan but will have a listen and try to keep an open mind. If die hard fans are into it (which they seem to be) I'm sure it has something to offer, unlike the new Limp Bizkit....

Michael
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 110 times

Post by Michael »

Been listening to this album and enjoying it quite a bit. Made me want to dig through the albums of theirs I hadn't listened to. White Pony was my favorite album of theirs originally (pretty much the only one I'd really listened to apart from 'Around the Fur').. but I've acquired '(Like) Linus' and it is absolutely fantastic. Reminds me quite a bit of Incubus' "S.C.I.E.N.C.E".

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 657 times
Been liked: 561 times

Post by TmcB »

Man, how good is the opening beat to around the fur?!

That's it, I'm listening to White Pony again...push back the square, hell yeah
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

badmotor
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by badmotor »

HANGMAN wrote:Its grown on me alot !

Loving it right now :D

Surprised no-one else has an opinion on this album (yet)?
Yeah, I think you are just hanging around in the wrong places - I've heard plenty of discussion on this album in the last couple of weeks. Loved Diamond Eyes and Rocket Skates as the singles... just had this album a few days and it is yet to grow on me, but that is usually a good sign. A couple of songs are starting to reveal themselves and I like it.

One question though - Chino's singing is great on this... very accurate for him - almost too accurate. Has he been practicing like a mother, or (Jeez I don't wanna say it) is there some autotune going on in there? Surely not... I'm the only one I know that has suggested such a thing hopefully.
Hot_Grits wrote:Someone should print this thread out and hang it in an art gallery.

AmpShop
CustomAudioThingz

Post by AmpShop »

Autotune on a rock record made in the last 10 or so years? Surely not!
THE AMP SHOP LTD

badmotor
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by badmotor »

Well I don't mind a bit out slightly out of tune singing every now and then. Shows there's a human in there.
Hot_Grits wrote:Someone should print this thread out and hang it in an art gallery.

AmpShop
CustomAudioThingz

Post by AmpShop »

For sure. It's nice when you hear a record that hasn't used autotune as a crutch to hide some pretty wobbly pitching.

On the flipside, I don't mind a bit of autotune used as a tool to bring the best of out a performance. Perhaps there is no autotune on there, and he's been practicing, getting coaching, stepping up his game, and was in a really good place when he recorded. Or, perhaps there is autotune on there. Either way, IMHO, the end result is what counts - his melodic vocals on this record are a step up from previous records, in terms of execution.
THE AMP SHOP LTD

badmotor
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by badmotor »

CustomAudioBoutique wrote:For sure. It's nice when you hear a record that hasn't used autotune as a crutch to hide some pretty wobbly pitching.

On the flipside, I don't mind a bit of autotune used as a tool to bring the best of out a performance. Perhaps there is no autotune on there, and he's been practicing, getting coaching, stepping up his game, and was in a really good place when he recorded. Or, perhaps there is autotune on there. Either way, IMHO, the end result is what counts - his melodic vocals on this record are a step up from previous records, in terms of execution.
Certainly is a great result. It's amazing how feminine he can sound at times. 100% commitment all the way through.