Kloppsta
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 93 times

RUSH - Beyond The Lighted Stage

Post by Kloppsta »

Watched this over the weekend and I must say I was very impressed! Highly reccomended!

Infact i enjoyed this more than "It Might Get Loud"

check it out - http://www.rushbeyondthelightedstage.com

Little by little, by hook or by crook

sty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 208 times
Been liked: 264 times

Re: RUSH - Beyond The Lighted Stage

Post by sty »

I really really want to see this, but it's going to have to wait till I can afford the Blu-Ray unless I can find someone in CHCH with a copy they'd lend me.

I've read a number of really good reviews of it and it's right up my street since I love Rush and I really liked Flight666 that was done by the same production team.

Tonemaker
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Tonemaker »

Wow that was great!!!! Great story too!!!
I had a dream last night, that everything I have got replaced with an exact replica.... (Steven Wright)

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2267 times
Been liked: 3910 times

Post by Bg »

Rush were always one of my favourite bands and I saw them live in Canada when I was 15. Awesome.

Then they turned wank in the 80's :( 2112 was my 2nd most shagged to album in my formative years, perhaps it was the inevitable "I'm shagging your best mate" tragedy that tainted it.

But I stopped shagging her mate and still couldn't listen to 80's Rush. :eek:

oops no actually it was Exit Stage Left, had a bit more variety in it... I listened to 2112 in private :eek:
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

dayl
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 458 times
Been liked: 412 times

Post by dayl »

I have been pretty well aware of Lifeson and Lee since I was buying guitar mags.. 20 years... and that trailer was the most Rush I have heard to date :lol:

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

dayl wrote:I have been pretty well aware of Lifeson and Lee since I was buying guitar mags.. 20 years... and that trailer was the most Rush I have heard to date :lol:
yeah shame that :P just means you're missing out on the classics like 'Bastille Day' When I could play that I thought I was awesome. Then I learnt the entire 2112 album and my mates thought I was awesome. Then I got married for the first time and didn't touch the guitar again for 20 odd years. ah well...bout time I cranked out Xanadu again :)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

sambrowne
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sambrowne »

Ok I want to care about Rush - best album to start with please? i.e. most awesome not their debut release.

dayl
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 458 times
Been liked: 412 times

Post by dayl »

Well.... sounds like it's the 2112 album... at least BGs mate will think you're awesome :mrgreen:

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

sambrowne wrote:Ok I want to care about Rush - best album to start with please? i.e. most awesome not their debut release.
for me Exit Stage Left, live culmination of their best up to that date. Bear in mind they were classed as prog rock. Geddy Lee's bass alone is worth the trip.

Tonemaker
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Tonemaker »

sambrowne wrote:Ok I want to care about Rush - best album to start with please? i.e. most awesome not their debut release.
If you can watch the Beyond the Lighted Stage... I liked fly by night, 2112, spirit of the radio, and snakes and ladders, but I think there are some I am leaving out, just too early at the mo. If you have some awesomeness headphones put on 2112. Like what the guy says in the video, the way they change time sigs and phrasing so smoothly is awesome.

I met them I think it was in the early 90's and I thought Neil was a "" for not showing up backstage but after watching this video he says he has a hang up about fans that feel they know him as a friend from being hard core fans and I guess he sees them as OCD fans or something and cant deal with it. When we were waiting for him, Geddy told me he was just really tired from the show and went to the bus. Alex on the otherhand, very very nice guy, and it was cool how he blew off everyone to hand out with this kid in a wheel chair for a very long period of time and then came to chat with everyone else.

For those that dont like Rush, on the video you can hear what Zakk, the guy from Tool, FooFighters, Trent Reznor, Gene Simons....ummm forgot who else was making comments but some really cool people...
I had a dream last night, that everything I have got replaced with an exact replica.... (Steven Wright)

NZRS-Dave
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by NZRS-Dave »

I have the Rush in Rio double DVD here if anyone wants it.

It's not my cup of tea.
Yup - that's me and my pal Steve or little stevie vai as I like to call him. In Auckland airport when I was 26. I'm not 26 anymore.

sty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 208 times
Been liked: 264 times

Post by sty »

BG wrote:
for me Exit Stage Left, live culmination of their best up to that date. Bear in mind they were classed as prog rock. Geddy Lee's bass alone is worth the trip.
+1

Absolutely start off at Exit Stage Left.

Rush for me are very much a live band and I got completely addicted to them when I started listening to Exit continuously. It spans the period of time up until Signals which is where they did quite a big change in style.

I like all their live albums but exit is the best followed by Rush in Rio and I love the R-30 30th aniversary tour DVD (I'm just getting hold of the CD at the moment) which was from about 6 years or so ago I think.

The studio albums I like most are:

2112 - Their first really successful prog stuff, very good
Hemispheres - This is the album that really got me into them first as it has The Tree and La Villa Strangiato on it (big prog stuff)
Moving Pictures - lots of their greatest hits on this and a lot more song focused
Signals - I like this album quite a bit, love Countdown for the over the top video/show, The Weapon, Losing It, Chemistry - lots of synths
Power Windows - I use this to audition hi-fis (I'm that sad ;) )
Presto - I have a soft spot for this later album, I think Anagram is a fun track lyrically.

pretty much everything before Signals is great but I cherry picked three up there.

But all said and done I'd start off with Exit Stage Left, just a shame the CD doesn't have my all time fave Rush song on it "Limelight" but the DVD does if I remember right.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0367IUSue5s[/youtube]
(the song actually starts at 2:00 but the intro is fun to see the roadies setting up etc.)

Hot_Grits
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Hot_Grits »

dayl wrote: I have been pretty well aware of Lifeson and Lee since I was buying guitar mags.. 20 years... and that trailer was the most Rush I have heard to date :lol:
One of the great things about being a New Zealander. We're all very lucky down here.
BG wrote: Then I got married for the first time and didn't touch the guitar again for 20 odd years. ah well...bout time I cranked out Xanadu again :)
That marriage was god's way of rehabilitating you away from Rush and improving you for better integration into society. Play Xanadu and all that good work will be lost.

sambrowne wrote:Ok I want to care about Rush
No you don't.
jeremyb wrote: Is it true about the bum sex before marriage thing being ok?

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Hot_Grits wrote:That marriage was god's way of rehabilitating you away from Rush and improving you for better integration into society. Play Xanadu and all that good work will be lost..
but.... if I just do it once? I'll be fine with just one listen won't I? nah you could be right, best leave it.

Hot_Grits
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Hot_Grits »

BG wrote:
Hot_Grits wrote:That marriage was god's way of rehabilitating you away from Rush and improving you for better integration into society. Play Xanadu and all that good work will be lost..
but.... if I just do it once? I'll be fine with just one listen won't I? nah you could be right, best leave it.
Good onya, mate.
jeremyb wrote: Is it true about the bum sex before marriage thing being ok?