Pakehendrix Reviews Things

CD's, Gigs, Gear, anything you want!

Moderator: Capt. Black

Pakehendrix
Big Muff
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Pakehendrix Reviews Things

Post by Pakehendrix »

I like to review things, but tend to waffle and say things that don't really matter, so I have decided to make this thread where I review everything in a short space. Items are rated from 8) to 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) .

DIGITECH HARDWIRE SC-2 Valve Distortion

I give this 8) 8) 8) 8) , because it cost $199 and sounds exactly like I want it to. It's nothing special or unique, but that's the beauty of it - you have a blank canvas. I tried pretty much every distortion pedal available for the circa-$300 mark and this came up trumps.

Cool things: it comes with a knob protector (oo-er), velcro backing pad, and glow-in-the-dark sticker for the footswitch.

INCEPTION

I give this 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) , because it was awesome and made my brain hurt, and it makes dumb people angry.

Cool things: tumbling fight scene; Ellen Page; Marion Cotillard

DR Drop-Down Tuning strings

I give this 8) 8) 8) 8) , because they do exactly what is described - remain tense and comfortable to play, even for lower tunings. Currently have the 12-60 set tuned to drop B, and they feel fairly 'normal' - certainly much, much better than using a normal set and going that low. Also played a guitar tuned to B with the 13-65 set, and was seriously impressed with the stability.

Cool things: they're under $20 a set, and are 98% as good as regular DR strings, which are the best.

Vorbis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Re: Pakehendrix Reviews Things

Post by Vorbis »

Excellent non-waffle reviews. Must try the Digitech.
She told me baby when you race today just take along my love with you, and if ya knew how much I love you baby, nothin' could go wrong with you.

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 644 times
Been liked: 810 times

Post by hamo »

Anyone else get the feeling that Digitech would sell a butt-load of those Hardwire pedals if they were more reasonably priced? Not thinking so much about the SC-2, as it sounds like a bargain, but more the delay and reverb.
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7840 times
Been liked: 4228 times

Post by jeremyb »

The delay is on my GAS list for sure, but i'll be buying it online, tis a nice alternative to a Boss DD, I have a weird dislike of boss stuff, too clinical for my tastes :?
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 417 times
Been liked: 1017 times

Post by bender »

hamo wrote:Anyone else get the feeling that Digitech would sell a butt-load of those Hardwire pedals if they were more reasonably priced? Not thinking so much about the SC-2, as it sounds like a bargain, but more the delay and reverb.
To be fair on the verb pedal (I have no experience with the delay) it's pretty stunning. Lexicon algorithms that sound awesome. Better than any of the other verb pedals I've tried in the same price range (I'm sure the EHX Cathedral would be up there though).

Pakehendrix
Big Muff

Post by Pakehendrix »

Yep and also - I think NZRS_Matt or Dave raised it - the distributor sets the price and it is stupidly high here, at least for the delay and reverb. It is extremely tempting to grab the reverb from overseas...I have a DD-20 to cover the delay needs though.

On the plus side, the CM-2, SC-2 and TL-2 are all reasonable prices here. The build quality is spectacularly good, and the 'stomp protector' is a really coo addition. You really have to try these pedals out to get a sense of the quality.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7840 times
Been liked: 4228 times

Post by jeremyb »

Pakehendrix wrote:Yep and also - I think NZRS_Matt or Dave raised it - the distributor sets the price and it is stupidly high here, at least for the delay and reverb. It is extremely tempting to grab the reverb from overseas...I have a DD-20 to cover the delay needs though.

On the plus side, the CM-2, SC-2 and TL-2 are all reasonable prices here. The build quality is spectacularly good, and the 'stomp protector' is a really coo addition. You really have to try these pedals out to get a sense of the quality.
For sure, they're totally hamstrung by the distributors, I'd buy one here if it was closer to $200 and not $350!! They're $115 US on amazon which for me means on my desk at work for $150 max!!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

handsoffmatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 244 times

Post by handsoffmatt »

I have the Digitech Hardwire Reverb pedal. It si truly an awesome piece of work...but yeah......far too pricey in NZ.

I still prefer the Boss delays to the Hardwire delay. My DD-20 rules the world... 8)
"Volume is tone" - EVH

Electrics: ESP/Fender/Gibson/.strandberg*/Godin/Washburn/Music Man/Knaggs/Squier/Vintage
Acoustic: Cole Clark/Godin/Takamine/Taylor
Amps: BOSS Katana Head / Friedman Smallbox

handsoffmatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 244 times

Post by handsoffmatt »

Oh....and those DDT strings have become VERY popular VERY quickly. We only bought in a "sample" size shipment initially so you should try to nab some before we run out. Next time I reorder, expect to see these strings EVERYWERE.....
"Volume is tone" - EVH

Electrics: ESP/Fender/Gibson/.strandberg*/Godin/Washburn/Music Man/Knaggs/Squier/Vintage
Acoustic: Cole Clark/Godin/Takamine/Taylor
Amps: BOSS Katana Head / Friedman Smallbox

Pakehendrix
Big Muff

Post by Pakehendrix »

I think what's really cool about them is that they're not a gimmick - I felt that some other 'niche' or 'specialty' strings are just one trick ponies, where the DRs are actually superb strings with an added ability to remain tense and stable at lower tunings.

I want a DR endorsement, 2x bass and 2x guitar lots can get expensive :x

badmotor
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by badmotor »

Pakehendrix wrote:I think what's really cool about them is that they're not a gimmick - I felt that some other 'niche' or 'specialty' strings are just one trick ponies, where the DRs are actually superb strings with an added ability to remain tense and stable at lower tunings.

I want a DR endorsement, 2x bass and 2x guitar lots can get expensive :x
Easy, get real famous and then put together a proposal. Sweet as.
Hot_Grits wrote:Someone should print this thread out and hang it in an art gallery.

xCaptainx
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by xCaptainx »

I'm using D'Darrio 13-56g for drop A and really enjoying them. I might have to give these a spin and see how they feel. Thanks for the review!

Pakehendrix
Big Muff

Post by Pakehendrix »

Time to join the Midnight Youth.

DVD REVIEW - THE DRESDEN DOLLS - PARADISE

I give this 8) 8) 8) 8) , because it is an absolutely awesome music DVD and worth checking out. Amanda Palmer is a phenomenal presence, and Brian Viglione must be the underrated drummer of the decade. The songs are fantastic, the (rather theatrical) performance rivals the White Stripes (and she's sitting down) and her songwriting and storytelling abilities put almost everyone else to shame.

Cool things: War Pigs and eyebrows.

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

Pakehendrix wrote:
Cool things: War Pigs and eyebrows.
Yes, she does go the extra mile in the eyebrow department!
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

Pakehendrix
Big Muff

Post by Pakehendrix »

She's also really hot, in a "I'm-too-scared-to-argue-if-she-wanted-it" kind of way.