Albums that somehow passed you by completely...

CD's, Gigs, Gear, anything you want!

Moderator: Capt. Black

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 640 times
Been liked: 808 times

Re: Albums that somehow passed you by completely...

Post by hamo »

ash wrote:I must top up on some Bruce Springsteen. The dude knows how to write a song.

I don't know if this counts, but there's a long list of albums I need to get that I've heard before or heard singles from, but never owned myself.
The first four Smashing Pumpkins albums are at the head of that list.

One I got earlier this year that fits the "passed me by" category is Screaming Trees - Sweet Oblivion

I knew the song Nearly Lost You and really liked it, but the album as a whole is even better.
I also can add Screaming Trees to my list.
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

timj47
Stagg
Stagg

Post by timj47 »

Magic Potion by The Black Keys, nearly passed me by but thanks to Utube I managed to be made aware of its existence...it's still thrashworthy after nearly a year

jimi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 850 times
Been liked: 361 times

Post by jimi »

I wasnt much of a Pearl Jam fan (and I listen to more than a fair amount grunge 90s alt) till I watched the 20 doco, since then Ive had Rear View Mirror and Backspacer on pretty heavy rotation. Couldn't say they passed me by completely, but I've definitely gone from only knowing the singles from ten to being a big fan, with even a bit of an Eddie Vedder man crush.

Also Sonic Youth. Thats like 10 albums that completely passed me by. Not even sure why I started listening to them last year, might have seen a song on C4 and thought "That's awesome, I need to hear more of that". I don't know how I got through the 90's without listening to Daydream Nation or Goo.

druz15
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by druz15 »

jimi wrote:I wasnt much of a Pearl Jam fan (and I listen to more than a fair amount grunge 90s alt) till I watched the 20 doco, since then Ive had Rear View Mirror and Backspacer on pretty heavy rotation. Couldn't say they passed me by completely, but I've definitely gone from only knowing the singles from ten to being a big fan, with even a bit of an Eddie Vedder man crush.

Also Sonic Youth. Thats like 10 albums that completely passed me by. Not even sure why I started listening to them last year, might have seen a song on C4 and thought "That's awesome, I need to hear more of that". I don't know how I got through the 90's without listening to Daydream Nation or Goo.
Backspacer is incredible.

I find most people who dislike or 'hate' Pearl Jam' usually 95% have never heard anything except what gets played on the radio from time to time, when you do a bit of digging through their back catalogue, it is just full of gold
BG wrote:I don't care if you worship god or you worship goats cocks

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7782 times
Been liked: 4208 times

Post by jeremyb »

jimi wrote:I wasnt much of a Pearl Jam fan (and I listen to more than a fair amount grunge 90s alt) till I watched the 20 doco, since then Ive had Rear View Mirror and Backspacer on pretty heavy rotation. Couldn't say they passed me by completely, but I've definitely gone from only knowing the singles from ten to being a big fan, with even a bit of an Eddie Vedder man crush.

I think yield was the last PJ album I bought before I lost touch with them, not much after that inspired me, Sonic Youth are awesome tho', Murray St!!!!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

mitch.twentyfive
Ashton
Ashton

Post by mitch.twentyfive »

washing machine!

twistedthoughts
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 7 times

Post by twistedthoughts »

jeremyb wrote:I think yield was the last PJ album I bought before I lost touch with them, not much after that inspired me
Same here. I went through a major PJ phase that lasted about four years. Now I can't really stand them. I remember ignoring my disappointment when I got the Touring Band 2000 DVD. It was just so boring and the generic warm guitar tones meant that a lot of the heavier songs sounded really "classic". Matt Cameron just seems to play the same drum pattern on all the pre-Binaural songs - whether it be Evenflow, Animal or Daughter - same pattern, different tempo.

With that said though, the Fox Theatre - Atlanta, GA 3 April 1994 bootleg is still one of the best live albums I have. It's readily available online so if you're a PJ fan and want to hear them in their prime with Eddie on form and Dave Abbruzzese driving the songs, check it out:

1994-04-03 Fox Theater, Atlanta, GA, USA

Albums that passed me by: pretty much the whole Faith No More back catalogue. I didn't even see them when they came to Christchurch. I looked them up on YouTube and noticed that Mike Patton didn't sing the old songs like he used to so just decided they'd probably "lost it". Unfortunately for me, he actually sings them infinitely better now but I was too stupid at the time to realise. So much facepalm.

timj47
Stagg
Stagg

Post by timj47 »

sadly every black keys album before Brothers or El Camino, (Thankfully I now have nearly all except those two with no plans to buy them)