Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 169 times
Been liked: 252 times

Re: BB King disappoints?

Post by Capt. Black »

Zaulkin wrote:
BG wrote:
Zaulkin wrote:Well if he played guitar all night he would have only played about four notes anyway.
at least they'd have been the right notes, and none of those jazz ones... besides I thought you'd have known there are actually 5 notes in the blues scale :P
Ah but in jazz, any note is the right note - Just smile afterwards and brag about how you 'were playing so *out*' today.

FYI - There are 6 notes in the blues scale. :D
Bloody gullible blues guitarists. Short changed again! Who got the other two, venue or manager?

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2268 times
Been liked: 3910 times

Post by Bg »

Zaulkin wrote:FYI - There are 6 notes in the blues scale. :D
Bazingo, I realised that just after I hit submit but couldn't be arsed to change it. I thought it would be funnier to see if you'd point it out, and you did :roll: :lol:
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2268 times
Been liked: 3910 times

Post by Bg »

Capt. Black wrote:
Zaulkin wrote:
BG wrote: at least they'd have been the right notes, and none of those jazz ones... besides I thought you'd have known there are actually 5 notes in the blues scale :P
FYI - There are 6 notes in the blues scale. :D
Bloody gullible blues guitarists. Short changed again! Who got the other two, venue or manager?
Last time I looked 6-5 = 1 but hey ho....
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Ears
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Ears »

Zaulkin wrote: Graham Reid was my Music History lecturer. That guy knows his shit, although he definitely seems like someone who would write this kind of article.
Don't you mean 20th Century popular and rock music history? I'd be surprised if it were general music history as I've never seen him write outside this narrow field.
"The piano is a monster that screams when you touch its teeth". - Andres Segovia

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 638 times
Been liked: 807 times

Post by hamo »

Speaking of old, talented black guys...

Did anyone see Herbie Hancock on the news with David Farrier? I could not believe that Hancock is 71. Seriously, he'd look good for someone in his fifties. The only giveaway was the too-short pants showing off a lot of sock over the hi-tops... :wink:
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 740 times
Been liked: 512 times

Post by Zaulkin »

Ears wrote:
Zaulkin wrote: Graham Reid was my Music History lecturer. That guy knows his shit, although he definitely seems like someone who would write this kind of article.
Don't you mean 20th Century popular and rock music history? I'd be surprised if it were general music history as I've never seen him write outside this narrow field.
Well, yes actually. Peter Watts taught the first half and then swapped over to Graham Reid for the second half of the semester.

Fler
Squier
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Fler »

Spot the Auckland University School Of Music students...
(((Òran Mór

Hot_Grits
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Hot_Grits »

hamo wrote:Speaking of old, talented black guys...

Did anyone see Herbie Hancock on the news with David Farrier? I could not believe that Hancock is 71. Seriously, he'd look good for someone in his fifties. The only giveaway was the too-short pants showing off a lot of sock over the hi-tops... :wink:
To me, a sock-to-pants ratio like that suggests middle-class white 20 year-old rather than old man.
jeremyb wrote: Is it true about the bum sex before marriage thing being ok?

sambrowne
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sambrowne »

I was at the BB King show too and thought he was completely and utterly rubbbish. Vocally he was sort of fine albeit not a patch on the incredible Ruthie (who was just incredible, as was her band). Guitarwise he was shit, lots of misfretting, hardly any playing (and yes I know his style was minimal - trust me this was way way beyond that - he's lost his skills). Just terrible. I doubt it was an off night - the dude is really really old. I'd say that's every night now.

Ears
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Ears »

Out of interest what was the ticket price?
"The piano is a monster that screams when you touch its teeth". - Andres Segovia

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

Ears wrote:Out of interest what was the ticket price?
way to much for some obviously and just right for one (or maybe a couple) :lol: :lol:

I tend to avoid seeing guys/bands I have like for a long time live if I have seen them before because 9/10 times it can't be what it USE to be
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

Some Bozo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Some Bozo »

Zaulkin wrote:Well if he played guitar all night he would have only played about four notes anyway.
He's one of those players where virtually every lick makes me think "Fuck. I know those same five notes. How come i never thought of that?"
"You know something's gone badly wrong with the world when Prince has stopped singing about sex, and Morrissey has started."

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 740 times
Been liked: 512 times

Post by Zaulkin »

Some Bozo wrote:
He's one of those players where virtually every lick makes me think "Fuck. I know those same five notes. How come i never thought of that?"
Yeah man. One of my favourite exercises is to make up something awesome using only a select few notes.

Lots of people hate on the solo in "When love comes to town", but I think It's awesome.

Tonemaker
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Tonemaker »

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=th1kQER7 ... re=related[/youtube]

This is the most I have seen BBKing play... Any other YT clilps or dvds that he plays more than the usual notes? I would like to buy a dvd or two of his but I dont want to hear stories and just occasional playing..
I had a dream last night, that everything I have got replaced with an exact replica.... (Steven Wright)

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 166 times
Been liked: 104 times

Post by Aquila Rossa »

The moral of this story is to play guitar as much as you can while you can, because time will come when you will be too old. Same moral applies to a few other enjoyable things in life. :mrgreen: