philipnz
PRS
PRS
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 39 times

Post by philipnz »

Saw the tale end of Sommerset, They rock

Simple Plan were great, blink182 meets good charlotte with solo's

I was expecting great things from Green Day and the buildup was HUGE. Then they burst on stage with American Idiot and the sound was just total crap. I dont think we were getting any guitars through the front of house, the vocals were buried in the mix and distorted. The guys behind the desk were flat out twiddling knobs and repatching cables and while at times it sounded okay most of the time from my seat halfway along the mezzanine it sounded totally samick.

BUT

The band were fantastic. Billy is the ultimate showman. The songs are fantastic. They pulled out so many you realise what a depth they have even if they didnt play my 2 favs (when i come around and welcome to paradise)

At one point the got three guys up from the audience to take over the instruments. Drums, bass and guitar. The band just sang. THAT was awesome. The guys were all muso's but they really were dragged out of the crowd. The guy playing guitar stripped down to just his boxers. Billy half pulled them off. The crowd went nuts.

Billy played maninly a couple of les paul juniors and a couple of strats. one of which he gave to the kid that played guitar

Shame about the sound and the venue. Although sold out it was only half full.

angry_young_poet
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 14 times

Post by angry_young_poet »

wow! i've seen that too.. when he dragged some guys outta the floor and made them play when i come around..

yeah it is a shame they didnt play when i come around..

and lucky quim who got a guitar!

The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!
Has liked: 209 times
Been liked: 253 times

Post by The Scarecrow »

angry_young_poet wrote:wow! i've seen that too.. when he dragged some guys outta the floor and made them play when i come around..

yeah it is a shame they didnt play when i come around..

and lucky quim who got a guitar!
Actually, he didn't get to keep that gat. He was a friend of a mate of mine from work and reckons security took it off him before he got back into the crowd =S Sucks!

Though my workmate did acquire one of Tre's sticks, now on Trademe....
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The-Al ... 895?ref=ts

Trade Me: The_Scarecrow

"Friends don't let friends scoop mids."

Gelato
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Gelato »

philipnz wrote:Saw the tale end of Sommerset, They rock

Simple Plan were great, blink182 meets good charlotte with solo's.
Damn, didn't know they were opening, would have like to go to see them :(

The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!

Post by The Scarecrow »

Gelato wrote:
philipnz wrote:Saw the tale end of Sommerset, They rock

Simple Plan were great, blink182 meets good charlotte with solo's.
Damn, didn't know they were opening, would have like to go to see them :(
Sommerset would of been cool, but I just can't get into commercial emo-pop-punk aside from a small dose of Blink 182. And I mean a very small dose, like once or twice a year.

Mind you, I hate Good Charlotte (and most other bands that try and look dark and tough whilst singing pop samick), so that probalby doesn't bode well.

I guess at the very least, Simple Plan doesn't wear make up, but that song of their's "Perfect" makes me want to jam all their fingers in a skillsaw so I can never hear it again.

Have to say though, ol' Billie Joe is looking a bit glam-punk in all his makeup in the last few Green Day videos. Seems to be a bit of punkish trend as late.

Tsuken
In the Name of Vai

Post by Tsuken »

The Scarecrow wrote:... but that song of their's "Perfect" makes me want to jam all their fingers in a skillsaw so I can never hear it again.
get in line :x
My twitting tweets of twitterness

@ash lol/RT "@ChelseaVPeretti Had fun in the Cinema Tent tonight w @adultswim @robcorddry #bonnaroo #fonz #hottubtimemachineintonationjokes #childrenshospital #mud #pee" //by @Jenesis

Here be bloggins

angry_young_poet
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 14 times

Post by angry_young_poet »

welcome to my life is another one.. i feel like driving off a bridge when i hear that song

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

I personally don't see much of a link between Simple Plan, 48 May et al and what is commonly held up as the authentic punkish article; Buzzcocks, Sex Pistols etc...

More like "I wanna be your punk, big boy" than "come 'ere I wanna smash your bloody 'ead in" although I guess that is closer to the older meaning of the word punk; soft and easily manipulated...
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

Tsuken
In the Name of Vai

Post by Tsuken »

Spot on, Ash 8) The very phrase "pop-punk" is a contradiction in terms, as far as I can see. Real punk and pop seem to me to be mutually exclusive, really; so the idea of something called "pop-punk" just makes me laugh at first, and then I get saddened by the gross materialism and marketing - and at the extent to which people fall for it.

(disclaimer: I actually like a bit of Green Day and Blink 182 and a couple of others, but I just don't consider them "punk" or buy into the image in any way 8) )

@ash lol/RT "@ChelseaVPeretti Had fun in the Cinema Tent tonight w @adultswim @robcorddry #bonnaroo #fonz #hottubtimemachineintonationjokes #childrenshospital #mud #pee" //by @Jenesis

Here be bloggins

The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!

Post by The Scarecrow »

angry_young_poet wrote:welcome to my life is another one.. i feel like driving off a bridge when i hear that song
or throwing Simple Plan from that same bridge.

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

Its very interesting to read some of the '70s Music rags like Melody Maker and such. At the beginning of the decade Jethro Tull and Led Zep were labelled as 'Pop" bands or "Underground Pop" literally meaning popular music rather than the current use.

Within a few years they had started to genre-alise the bands and those bands and their mates were "rock" or "progressive rock". Shortly thereafter you see the word "punk" popping up (no pun intended ;) ) in stark contrast to that which was considered rock.

As I understand it, the "punk" subculture had been evolving for a decade or so under that name before the music aspect took off. Of course I was about 2 years old at the time so I can really only repeat what I've read. I'd love to hear an accurate, definitive history of all things punk, but I doubt there are that many experts with a coherent memory still around to tell the tale!!

Still, most of todays punk acts bear no resemblance to the idea of angry young men performing intentionally offensive music relating social anarchy, anger and anti-establishment sentiments...

I still like Green Day and AAF as long as no-one expects me to call them punk :D
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

Tsuken
In the Name of Vai

Post by Tsuken »

ash wrote:Still, most of todays punk acts bear no resemblance to the idea of angry young men performing intentionally offensive music relating social anarchy, anger and anti-establishment sentiments...
they are the establishment :roll:

Here be bloggins

darkness
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by darkness »

The Scarecrow wrote:
angry_young_poet wrote:welcome to my life is another one.. i feel like driving off a bridge when i hear that song
or throwing Simple Plan from that same bridge.
and the irony in that statement is they are playing on the Long Beach bridge in L.A. in the video for that song.

anyways. I'm a fan of green day, sommerset and the bleeders.

simple plan are too pop. they are like that little wench Avril Lav*however its spelt*. she thinks she's some rock chick with attitude, but she's just another wannabe pop princess.

rant over.
AFK.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2276 times
Been liked: 3991 times

Post by Bg »

Avril Lasagne? :D
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.