Moderator: Capt. Black

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 7746 times
Been liked: 4187 times

Re: Review of the Kemper Profiling Amp!

Post by jeremyb »

I think I would quite like to try one of these out, but like with the hd500 I wonder if I'd get lost with all the options....
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

Scooter13 wrote:
Kiwiaxe wrote:Have you got the uno4kemper chip for the FCB1010? It couldn't be easier to setup once you have it. Although the FCB will always feel a bit clunky.

Also while the TAF profiles are excellent, so too are the Soundside ones. I think you and I need to catch up to see what cool profiles we each have! (I've had little luck profiling my own amp but that's because my miking skills are shit - I need to rent out a studio and engineer for a couple of hours)
That's the thing though. You're not really profiling your in the room amp. You're profiling your mic'd up amp, as it would sound through a PA or a recording. Bad mic placement and all. :P
Don't underestimate the value of just chucking a 57 or i5 on axis right up on the speaker!
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

StratMatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 621 times

Post by StratMatt »

jeremyb wrote:I think I would quite like to try one of these out, but like with the hd500 I wonder if I'd get lost with all the options....
You do for a little while. At first it all sounds pretty good but once you get familiar with it and stick with tweaking a few favourites its really rewarding. Still not as much to get lost in as the Axe Fx but thats why I like it.
Loving it so far

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 243 times
Been liked: 966 times

Post by Conway »

StratMatt88 wrote:
jeremyb wrote:I think I would quite like to try one of these out, but like with the hd500 I wonder if I'd get lost with all the options....
You do for a little while. At first it all sounds pretty good but once you get familiar with it and stick with tweaking a few favourites its really rewarding. Still not as much to get lost in as the Axe Fx but thats why I like it.
You must be kiwiaxe's long lost brother, by the sounds of it! :lol:
GUITARS ROCK - www.guitarsrock.co.nz
TONE LOUNGE - www.tonelounge.co.nz

Scooter13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Scooter13 »

slash-ed wrote:
Scooter13 wrote:
Kiwiaxe wrote:Have you got the uno4kemper chip for the FCB1010? It couldn't be easier to setup once you have it. Although the FCB will always feel a bit clunky.

Also while the TAF profiles are excellent, so too are the Soundside ones. I think you and I need to catch up to see what cool profiles we each have! (I've had little luck profiling my own amp but that's because my miking skills are shit - I need to rent out a studio and engineer for a couple of hours)
That's the thing though. You're not really profiling your in the room amp. You're profiling your mic'd up amp, as it would sound through a PA or a recording. Bad mic placement and all. :P
Don't underestimate the value of just chucking a 57 or i5 on axis right up on the speaker!
Yeah of course. I was mentioning with respect to kiwiaxe's need to hire a studio engineer. In my limited experience, I think you would benefit greatly from having a ribbon mic capturing the low end while the dynamic grabs the rawk and fizz and hiss.

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

Yeah sorry, that comment was more directed at him.
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

Kiwiaxe
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 245 times

Post by Kiwiaxe »

StratMatt88 wrote:Yeah really need to get the chip for it! Where did you order yours from? Would be very cool to swap a few profiles, I havent checked out the Soundside ones yet. I havent had any other bit of gear where after a year Im still learning heaps about it and still interested. I find I use between 5-10 profiles mainly and just keep tweaking away.

Also did you find that the Ground Control from VL didnt work so great with the KPA? Im pretty sure thats what the other guitarist from QOTSA uses so it got me interested.
I just ordered the chip direct from the guy over in Europe. Costs like $20 or so, takes a couple of weeks to come and 5 minutes to install.

I actually used the GCP with my AxeFX2 and have replaced that with a MFC101 (at an unfuckinggodly expensive cost). The GCP is extremely awesome, but its not 2-way with Kemper or AXE so it doesn't automatically light up the footswitch lights per preset, have the tuner show up on the GCP screen or automatically load the name. All of that has to be done manually.

Are you in AK?

Kiwiaxe
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 245 times

Post by Kiwiaxe »

slash-ed wrote:
Scooter13 wrote:

I tried profiling myself, but didn't have the required low end. Put simply it sounded a lot worse than a bunch of the other profiles available even though it was my preferred amp!

StratMatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 621 times

Post by StratMatt »

Kiwiaxe wrote:
StratMatt88 wrote:Yeah really need to get the chip for it! Where did you order yours from? Would be very cool to swap a few profiles, I havent checked out the Soundside ones yet. I havent had any other bit of gear where after a year Im still learning heaps about it and still interested. I find I use between 5-10 profiles mainly and just keep tweaking away.

Also did you find that the Ground Control from VL didnt work so great with the KPA? Im pretty sure thats what the other guitarist from QOTSA uses so it got me interested.
I just ordered the chip direct from the guy over in Europe. Costs like $20 or so, takes a couple of weeks to come and 5 minutes to install.

I actually used the GCP with my AxeFX2 and have replaced that with a MFC101 (at an unfuckinggodly expensive cost). The GCP is extremely awesome, but its not 2-way with Kemper or AXE so it doesn't automatically light up the footswitch lights per preset, have the tuner show up on the GCP screen or automatically load the name. All of that has to be done manually.

Are you in AK?
Ah ok, I think I'll just go with the uno chip, will atleast get rid of all the annoying programming you have to do.

Yyyep, sort of... classed as AK but a bit further south. Will pm ya, at the very least Im sure we can swap a few profiles over email!
Loving it so far