mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 178 times

HD500 Review

Post by mr_sooty »

I borrowed an HD500 from a mate for a couple of weeks. I was considering buying it off him. Thought I'd share my thoughts. I was gonna tag this on the end of someone elses review rather than start a whole new thread, but I couldn't find the other reviews.

So I wasn't actually looking to replace my rig. I'm really happy with the gear I have (although I do hate lugging it all around). The idea behind maybe getting a POD was more about being able to quickly record song ideas and demos without having to set up and mic up the whole rig. For this purpose it would have been more than adequate.

The whole time I had this I was using headphones. I've read that it doesn't sound great through headphones, so this may have tainted my opinion of it. However I don't have PA at home, so I didn't have much else to go on. If I was going to buy it I was mainly going to be using it through headphones, so this was my only point of reference.

As most people say, the presets are pretty average. I had much more success starting from scratch. There's a lot of great sounding amp models in there. My favourite was the Divided by 13 one. Sounded good clean and broke up nicely too. I ran it through the Dr Z 212 cab which was the best amp/speaker combo for my tastes. Lots of other good sounding amps too, especially overdriven, but more on that later.

What I liked about the HD500 over other Pods I've tried was how many effects you can run on each patch. 8 fx slots allowed me to nearly replicate my pedalboard setup on one patch, which is what I was going for. What let it down for me was the lack of pedal choices. Or more specifically, the lack of good sounding pedal choices. There's actually a truck load of pedals to choose from. There's some great sounding dealys and reverbs, it excells in that area. I liked the Wah models too. Where I felt it suffered was overdrives and compressors. You get to choose from 3 compressors, which is really just two, with two versions of one of them, and they both sound really average. The best compressor option I found was actually using the MXR Micro Amp model which has a compression parameter. That was the most effective way of fattening up the sound a bit.

With the overdrives the problem I found is that they've mainly gone for classic 'wow, rare collectible' pedals, and while they may fetch a lot on Ebay, most of them sound like rubbish. Lot's of fizz available here. I did like the Tube Screamer model, but that was the only one I really liked, and I'm not normally too fond of Tube Screamers. I really wished there was a Bluesbreaker in there. I found the rest of the OD pedals fairly useless. To be honest though, with the amount of great sounding amps on tap, you probably don't really need drive pedals, just have different patches for different drive settings (why bother with a Bluesbreaker pedal when you have a Bluebreaker amp available right?). What I was trying to do was set up one patch that would give me all the sounds my live rig does. It didn't really work out that way unfortunately.

Operating these things is always rather fiddly, and you definitelty want to read the manual! I found by far the easiest way of editing patches was through the computer software. Load up the HD500 editor on your PC and it's easy as. Much less frustrating than trying to do it on the little digital screen on the unit. With the software you can also backup your patches, which is a great idea, I really wish I did it.....but........

...at one point, the Pod crashed. I got a repeatedly flashing boot up screen that wouldn't go any further than the Line 6 logo. Turning it off and then on again got me nowhere, so I scoured the Line 6 forums for a solution. Apparently the only fix for my particualr problem was a global reset. Yep, that fixed the problem, but also lost not only the patches I'd been working on, but of course all my friends patches as well. Fortunately he wasn't too worried because he's selling it anyway. But this is one of the reasons I don't go digital. My pedalboard never crashes, it never asks me to renew my licence, and it never sends me a file not found message. Sure my amp might blow a fuse, but chuck another one in there and you're good to go.

There's also the issue of tone. Maybe it's just my headphones (I've recently got some rather nice ATM50's), but to my ear, as good as these things are, there's always this brittle kinda 'digitalness'. Maybe it's my imagination, but it never quite sounds right to me. This is mainly an issue with the clean tones. In the past, solid state guitar amps did a good job with cleans but were let down by their inability to break up tastefully and had poor distortion channels. I feel that modern digital technology has reversed this situation. To my ear the distorted and overdriven amps sound much more realistic than the clean ones. You can get a very convincing cranked AC30 sound (vox amps must be easy to model, the vox ones always seems to sound best in these things), and a brutal Dual Rectifier sound. What never sounds right to me are the sounds I want most, such as a clean Bassman. When you plug Strat or Tele into a real Bassman it's a truly magical thing. Thick, rich clean tones come pouring out with this lovely sense of harmonic magic in the background. I know that sounds like bollocks, but that's how I remember it. Plug a Strat into a Pod and dial up a Bassman, and well, it sounds like arse quite frankly. I would like to tell you how bad the 5E3 model sounded, but there's no 5E3. What? No classic 50's Fender Deluxe? Nope. Not included sorry.

In the end I didn't go for it. If funds weren't so limited I might have picked it up, but me having money to spend is a very rare thing, and I need to think carefully about where it goes. The Pod for all it's good points just didn't quite do it for me in the end, and I was pretty spooked by the crash. Actually, prior to the crash I was still on the fence. That tipped me over. I ended up buying a new golf club instead. :lol:
Last edited by mr_sooty on Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2276 times
Been liked: 3991 times

Re: HD500 Review

Post by Bg »

I have to say as a long time line6 user, how completely underwhelmed I was with the HD. The next one I'll buy will be an X3 Pro if I ever need one again. Though I'm not missing it in the slightest, with firewire I have very negligible latency and I find ampltube fender pretty much does all I need. Else I'll mic up one of the amps.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

cholera
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 4 times

Post by cholera »

Can't believe Im considering one of these now....the crash thing has put me off a little tho. Whats the tone like on the golf club? Does it have as many options as the HD500?

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 645 times
Been liked: 814 times

Post by hamo »

Like sooty says, you can back up all your patches to your computer, so it's only really likely to be an issue if you go for a long time without doing that.
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

badmotor
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by badmotor »

I really love the idea of this technology, but for me it's just not good enough yet.
Hot_Grits wrote:Someone should print this thread out and hang it in an art gallery.

sopachrga
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by sopachrga »

cholera wrote:Can't believe Im considering one of these now....the crash thing has put me off a little tho. Whats the tone like on the golf club? Does it have as many options as the HD500?
Given that you would have a similar tone requirement as me, you probably won't find the same issues as Sooty did.
From low gain up to full high gain is where the HD shines. The cleans to very low gain is it's weak point.

But then... I run it all through a Valve DT50 head, so the cleans are actually good again.
Ummm....

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 178 times

Post by mr_sooty »

BG wrote:... with firewire I have very negligible latency and I find ampltube fender pretty much does all I need. Else I'll mic up one of the amps.
Yeah I have GTR Solo, which is probably adequate for the kind of stuff I want to do, but latency is definitely an issue for me with a Lexicon Lambda and an overly cluttered PC. I'm thinking the money that would have gone on the Pod might have been better utilized going towards a better interface.
Last edited by mr_sooty on Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

sopachrga wrote:
cholera wrote:Can't believe Im considering one of these now....the crash thing has put me off a little tho. Whats the tone like on the golf club? Does it have as many options as the HD500?
Given that you would have a similar tone requirement as me, you probably won't find the same issues as Sooty did.
From low gain up to full high gain is where the HD shines. The cleans to very low gain is it's weak point.

But then... I run it all through a Valve DT50 head, so the cleans are actually good again.
I dunno... the clean to medium gain sounds are the best I've heard from the POD series to date.

Also, back to the OP - the whole point of the HD series is to concentrate on a core of high quality amp models, rather than have 100 average sounding ones.

We must also have very different ears because as someone who's been using the HD for a year or two now, the AC model is possibly the weakest one, in my opinion.

RTFM level was also low, rather than high, imo. The controls are laid out like an amp, and you drive the effects etc with a few knobs (ha). It's not that difficult.

I've done a LOT of recordings with the HD over the past few years, and I think it's really hitting the point where any "lol harsh digital artifactz" are as much psychological as anything...

2c, etc.
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

handlefras
Gibson
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 1 time

Post by handlefras »

Thoughtful review Sooty. I just picked up the HD desktop yesterday from RuBear and used for about 2hours last night. My experiences mirror Sooty's, in that I used headphones because I need this for quiet playing. I agree that there is something digital and metallic about the tones which I can't quite get rid of, and that the feel (of the amp/speaker pushing air) is missing. There is plenty of internet reviews loving these things and comparing them favourably to real amps. I am by no means a "golden ear", but I have to wonder whether these guys really hear tone the way I do. :think:

Maybe its just something you get used to...
Too many guitars, not enough talent.

Pastasauce
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by Pastasauce »

HD500 sux!

jaded
Stagg
Stagg

Post by jaded »

I just got a hd500 last night, I wanted a m13 as i was only after the looper, delays and modulations tbh

Since the hd500 has amp models I decided to give them a try, tbh they exceeded my expectations. I have a fender mustang i got as a bedroom amp and i was truly impressed with the tones i can get out of that, this seems the same (after changing some settings recommended on the line6 forums).

The looper is awesome, setup rhythm and lead tones and played around with it for an hour. Def will be getting used daily for this alone. Ran it through my cub12 as well to test delays and mods and will need to spend some time setting up patches, global tap tempo is awesome though.

Need to play around with it more, ill either be using it with my amp as an pedal board (ala m13 style) or on its own as a replacement for my mustang amp as a late night jammer.

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 645 times
Been liked: 814 times

Post by hamo »

Rhettsauce wrote:Sell me a HD500!
:silent:
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7906 times
Been liked: 4256 times

Post by jeremyb »

Without listening thru an amp you're missing some of the dynamics Sooty, does your Dr Z have an effects loop? tis easy to plug it into the return if it does and change it to the mode where the hd works as a preamp, it sounds much more realistic IMHO...
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

sopachrga
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by sopachrga »

Yeah, it sounds pretty average through headphones.
Ummm....

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

handlefras wrote:Thoughtful review Sooty. I just picked up the HD desktop yesterday from RuBear and used for about 2hours last night. My experiences mirror Sooty's, in that I used headphones because I need this for quiet playing. I agree that there is something digital and metallic about the tones which I can't quite get rid of, and that the feel (of the amp/speaker pushing air) is missing. There is plenty of internet reviews loving these things and comparing them favourably to real amps. I am by no means a "golden ear", but I have to wonder whether these guys really hear tone the way I do. :think:

Maybe its just something you get used to...
I think perhaps expectations should be adjusted accordingly. Put a mic on your favourite amp, run it to a desk or whatever and sit in another room playing it through headphones. It's never going to sound the same, is it?
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world