Anyone else go to the MetalSOC night in ChCh last night ...

CD's, Gigs, Gear, anything you want!

Moderator: Capt. Black

NZRS-Dave
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 52 times

Anyone else go to the MetalSOC night in ChCh last night ...

Post by NZRS-Dave »

... thanks to JB for posting on facebook about it. I didn't even know it was on and the Manager for the Sylvia Park Rockshop was in two of the bands last night (Amidst Haze and In Dread Response with xCaptainx).

I think the bands were :

Bow Messiah (don't actually know who they were because they never spoke to the crowd, acknowledged the crowd or said their name)
Amidst Haze
Dissolution
In Dread Response

If there was a band before Bow Messiah - I didn't hear them as I only got there in the middle of their set and scoped out JB.

I am not a real metal fan, but I really dig harmony guitars and lots of 'wheedle dee dee' on the guitars - and the last two bands did not dissappoint in this regard. Dissolution were particularly good and their bass player was a mean as player/singer. Lotsa of finger tapping on the bass ... which I am getting my bass out to have a fiddle with.

Because I decided at the last minute to go (I think it was about 8:45pm) and I live outta town - I only had my white pants ready to go. I thought I'd get raped but I didn't. Actually, since I was hanging with JB all night, we probably looked like a gay couple which might have stopped that. I hid under my Rockshop jacket so I hopefully looked like someone from the RS checking out a band. Metal chicks are usually ugly but there were a couple there last night that JB and I thought were okay.

The energy levels of the band just went up with each band.

Bow Messiah, the first band sort of just stood there, hand in pocket, and played. They were tight but nothing left a lasting impact and I think it was the lack of crowd interaction.

Amidst Haze had a violin player jump up and down in some songs which, while interesting, didn't really spin my wheels that much. Good on them for trying it but the violin is too close to the guitar and cymbals and vocals to really cut through. Perhaps it was just the mix or where we were standing. Nik (the drummer) had a drum problem at the end of the last song where random kick triggers were going off and they had to stop. They restarted part the way through the song and the ending was utterly epic. Funniest thing was the singer/guitarist looked like he would be at home in a quiet jazz gig as well. The others in the band looked pretty metal.

Dissolution were pretty cool and energetic from the get go - JB said they were sorta of old school Slayer but I've never listened to Slayer so I wouldn't know. They were like a raunchy edgey screamo tech metallica - so I guess so. The singer was pretty awesome playing and singing. Bpth gutiarists were realitively shredtastic although the first song had literally single notes and single note bends - so I thought he was shit. He wasn't. Great energy too. They had some dude get up and do 'Into the Pit' by Judas Priest. Great harmony guitars and solo trading and riffing and stop/starts.

In Dread Response were the headline act and perhaps it was their awesomeness but it felt like they only played for 20mins. It seemed like 4 songs later and the singer was saying 'this is our last song'. Ross said they did 6 but ran from one into the other so it might have sounded like the same song (metal songs frequently sound like the start of a new riff or breakdown to the un-informed :) ). Ross was sporting his green gunslinger but due to the lighting, it was yellow. Licks were mean and fast and there was epic floyd rose action too - so I was happy.

All in all, not a bad nights entertainment for $10 and a good job by MetalSOC who organised it. There wasn't a shit band as I usually find in metal nights.

Would have been better if my 1yr old hadn't woken at 2:50am and stayed awake til goodness knows when as I went out to the lounge to sleep.
Yup - that's me and my pal Steve or little stevie vai as I like to call him. In Auckland airport when I was 26. I'm not 26 anymore.

badmotor
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Re: Anyone else go to the MetalSOC night in ChCh last night

Post by badmotor »

Cool review. You focussed on what they were doing, as opposed to lapsing into a gear rundown.
Hot_Grits wrote:Someone should print this thread out and hang it in an art gallery.

NZRS-Dave
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by NZRS-Dave »

badmotor wrote:Cool review. You focussed on what they were doing, as opposed to lapsing into a gear rundown.
To be fair - I am not really a gear head. I have one elec guitar and one bass guitar and one acoustic guitar.

xCaptainx and JB lost me talking about guitars they had bought, sold and regretted. I've sold one elec guitar and one bass - and that was only to get rid of them out of my office.
Yup - that's me and my pal Steve or little stevie vai as I like to call him. In Auckland airport when I was 26. I'm not 26 anymore.

druz15
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by druz15 »

NZRS-Dave wrote:
badmotor wrote:Cool review. You focussed on what they were doing, as opposed to lapsing into a gear rundown.
To be fair - I am not really a gear head. I have one elec guitar and one bass guitar and one acoustic guitar.

xCaptainx and JB lost me talking about guitars they had bought, sold and regretted. I've sold one elec guitar and one bass - and that was only to get rid of them out of my office.
wait where do you work again?

That's like telling a bunch of hungry homeless men "oh yeah I work in a restaraunt, gourmet food everywhere, I bet it's delicious, but I've never tried it because I'm a vegan"
BG wrote:I don't care if you worship god or you worship goats cocks

NZRS-Dave
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by NZRS-Dave »

druz15 wrote:That's like telling a bunch of hungry homeless men "oh yeah I work in a restaraunt, gourmet food everywhere, I bet it's delicious, but I've never tried it because I'm a vegan"
You work in the candy shop long enough - it all just looks like boxes. But every now and then, a box is cooler than the other boxes.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7751 times
Been liked: 4191 times

Post by jeremyb »

Was an awesome night, way cool to meet Ross IRL, the whole band put 200% into their performance, ridiculous level of skill on display, mind blown! Oh yeah just for Badmotor, both guitars and bass were going direct, HD500 and AxeFx, not sure what the bass player used tho... Either way they all sounded awesome!!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

xCaptainx
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 7 times

Post by xCaptainx »

Bass player went D.I with an MXR overdrive. He's got a rack Mounted sansamp but it's playing up and he's keen to get a pedal version. Tried out an MXR pedal and seemed to like it. Hopefully he gets that

Thanks for the kind words! I had a great time. That band that played before us was awesome!

First show with my green gunslinger. Can't believe how much it glowed under the stage lights! I received so many comments about it haha. In on my phone but I'll try and load some videos/photos soon.

Btw was awesome to finally meet Jeremy and Dave! Thank you so much for coming!

cholera
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 4 times

Post by cholera »

I can't be bothered reading the whole review but I liked the bit about "white pants" and "raped". Gig reviews don't normally go there so kudos for that.