Moderator: Capt. Black

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 66 times

Neil Diamond

Post by Rog »

I know that 98% of you guys would not enjoy Neil Diamond, but I do.

I've just bought the DVD Greatest Hits Live from 1988 and I love it!

There's something about live shows which appeals to me far more than music videos a la MTV and the like.

One thing which really struck me about this concert was his backing band. Firstly it was a brilliant mix and the sound quality was excellent, the musicians all very accomplished (although no lead breaks at all). But the big attraction was watching the band thoroughly enjoy every part of the show - they were digging every song and it shined through.

The audience were so into the whole atmosphere and eagerly participated in what I imagine was a concert which will stay with them.

So, y'all might have found it boring and old hat, but I loved every bit of it.

Although this isn't the case for me at th mo', whenever I feel like I should retire from music, all it takes is a concert I enjoy and suddenly I'm straining at the leash again.
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

DC4
Stagg
Stagg

Post by DC4 »

Yeah, know what you mean. I finally managed to get (took ages to track down!) The Shadows: Final Tour DVD. Recorded live last year (2004). Watched some of it for the first time last night - these guys just doing what they do just blows me away.
And they looked like they are having a ball, all three hours of it!
Sigh.
"That stuff you play really bugs me out"

scottpalmy
Stagg
Stagg

Post by scottpalmy »

I Agree Rog.

Went to the Neil Diamond concert in Wellington and had good seats near the front. Band was great, They certainly looked like they were enjoying themselves.

Atmosphere was good. And the singer wasn't too bad as well.

Scott

philipnz
PRS
PRS
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 39 times

Post by philipnz »

I love Neil Diamond's early music and shouted my elderly mum and dad to his Chch concert in March.

I grew up on it
Never put down to malice what can adequately be explained by stupidity

Rog

Post by Rog »

OK I stand corrected, more here than I thought like the oldies. I thought maybe just B45-12 and myself ...

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

My mother is somewhat keen on Neil Diamond. His CDs are always a handy christmas backup plan ;)

While I can't say I'm specifically a fan, I do appreciate certain songs greatly and his songwriting talent extends beyond his own performances. His name appears in surprisingly many credits.
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

Rog

Post by Rog »

I still find that I'm a Believer and Sweet Caroline sell very well at gigs - never fail to get people on the floor.

Gelato
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Gelato »

Now here's something I bet you didn't expect.... I really like Neil Diamond :shock: He was my parents favourite singer and so growing up was probably the artist that I heard the most (him and Gordon Lightfoot). I would suspect that if I went to a concert I would be able to sing along with at least 90% of the songs without missing a word :wink:

raz
Hagstrom

Post by raz »

I thought Johnny Cash's version of Solitary Man really revitalised that song. On the whole, I don't like Neil Diamond himself, but think he's written some great songs.

raz

philipnz
PRS
PRS
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 39 times

Post by philipnz »

Rog wrote:I still find that I'm a Believer and Sweet Caroline sell very well at gigs - never fail to get people on the floor.
Yep, we do I'm a Believer and people love it - even the young crowd in pubs who also ask us all the time for Sweet Caroline along with likes of The Gambler. They are cult songs

jimi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 856 times
Been liked: 361 times

Post by jimi »

He's my stepfathers favorite singer so I associate him with the childhood trauma of my stepfather singing sweet caroline at the top of his lungs while skipping down the hall and banging on the wall in his y-fronts at 9 in the morning to wake me up on weekends.

As a kid it was never cool to like the music your parent listened to, but my mother had the coolest collection of Bowie and Alice Cooper on vinyl and my father made it a bit of a mission to open my mind to music that didnt make it onto the Hawkes Bay top 40's radio stations by getting me listening to the Ramones and Jethro Tull. Neil Diamond however is one guy who I will never be able to enjoy.

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

recycledpet wrote:banging on the wall in his y-fronts
He had a wall in his Y-fronts?!?!? Jeez!! :shock:
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

Tsuken
In the Name of Vai

Post by Tsuken »

hmmmm... my parents had Jimi Hendrix, Santana, and Iron Butterfly. No surprise how I turned out, eh? ;) They did have one Neil Diamond album, and I do vaguely recall rather liking it, but I've not remained consciously aware of him/his music.
My twitting tweets of twitterness

@ash lol/RT "@ChelseaVPeretti Had fun in the Cinema Tent tonight w @adultswim @robcorddry #bonnaroo #fonz #hottubtimemachineintonationjokes #childrenshospital #mud #pee" //by @Jenesis

Here be bloggins

Tehhaxorr
The Devils Advocate

Post by Tehhaxorr »

My mother listens to diamond, its god damn awfull. |Give me Nile any day.
"I am the Black Wizard"

JamesW
Stagg
Stagg

Post by JamesW »

I like Neil Diamond. I went to see him in concert with my dad in Christchurch. He bought the tickets though. I wouldn't have paid for them myself. I'm not that big a fan.