Scooter13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 69 times

Re: Celebration day

Post by Scooter13 »

Some Bozo wrote:came close to sounding like what a great LP plugged into a great Marshall should sound like.
Except he was plugged in to an AD30 half the time. :P
Did he just use the OR50 for Whole Lotta Love? I was surprised to see that combined with an ENGL cab.

druz15
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by druz15 »

benderissimo wrote:The reality is that the movie studios often push for loud mixes
kind of off topic but a pet peeve of mine is mastering for movies and tv shows.

The music is always WAY too loud, I'll be trying to watch an episode of something late at night or something and have it pretty quiet so as to not disturb the neighbors and whatnot, the talking will be barely audible so up up up creeps the volume, then the intro song or some soundtrack comes in and it's FUCKING loud.

I actually like watching stuff on the Soniq with it's crappy built in speakers better, cause all the music loses it's oomph, so nyou wind up the volume to a comfortable "i can hear what these characters are saying" level, and then any music sits in perfectly at the same level. Course it's shit for music DVDs and the like

Scooter13 wrote: Except he was plugged in to an AD30 half the time. :P
Did he just use the OR50 for Whole Lotta Love? I was surprised to see that combined with an ENGL cab.
I wouldn't be surprise if it was just for the theremin, that's what he used to use his Orange setup for
Last edited by druz15 on Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
BG wrote:I don't care if you worship god or you worship goats cocks

handlefras
Gibson
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 1 time

Post by handlefras »

Is this still screening anywhere in Wellington? I fear I may have to wait for the DVD.
Too many guitars, not enough talent.

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 170 times
Been liked: 252 times

Celebration day

Post by Capt. Black »

Listened to the bluray on headphones.

The sound was pumping like fuck from the get go. (It may have been a function of the tv I was plugged into. Have to check that on the weekend.)
Pumping as in, bass heavy and over limited.

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 417 times
Been liked: 1017 times

Post by bender »

druz15 wrote:
benderissimo wrote:The reality is that the movie studios often push for loud mixes
kind of off topic but a pet peeve of mine is mastering for movies and tv shows.

The music is always WAY too loud, I'll be trying to watch an episode of something late at night or something and have it pretty quiet so as to not disturb the neighbors and whatnot, the talking will be barely audible so up up up creeps the volume, then the intro song or some soundtrack comes in and it's FUCKING loud.

I actually like watching stuff on the Soniq with it's crappy built in speakers better, cause all the music loses it's oomph, so nyou wind up the volume to a comfortable "i can hear what these characters are saying" level, and then any music sits in perfectly at the same level. Course it's shit for music DVDs and the like
I hardly ever have to ride the volume while I'm watching TV shows (and I regularly watch late at night while my kids are asleep) but movies are a different story. Especially DVD or Bluray. Could be a function of what you're watching or what you're listening through. US TV shows suddenly got really farken dynamic when they switched to digital broadcast so some US made shows will definitely fit that description, but only if you're playing back off DVD or *ahem* a file. More recent ones aren't as dynamic but are still more so than most of our locally produced shows. If you're watching a NZ broadcast it should be compressed and less of an issue.

Scooter13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Scooter13 »

druz15 wrote:
Scooter13 wrote: Except he was plugged in to an AD30 half the time. :P
I wouldn't be surprise if it was just for the theremin, that's what he used to use his Orange setup for
Yeah, that's what I meant when I said Whole Lotta Love. I'd be interested to know what songs he used the Petersburg amps on.

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1211 times
Been liked: 1402 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

Capt. Black wrote:Listened to the bluray on headphones.

The sound was pumping like fuck from the get go. (It may have been a function of the tv I was plugged into. Have to check that on the weekend.)
Pumping as in, bass heavy and over limited.
It is bass heavy, I feel they have mixed it to sound like you were at the concert rather than like an LP. Maybe they making up for the lack of bass on the studio LP's. :lol:

Live at the Greek seems better balanced to me.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1211 times
Been liked: 1402 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

Had a bit of peace from the family this evening and cranked the album, I have to say this version of "Ramble On" kicks farkin arse !!!
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

Some Bozo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Some Bozo »

Just getting round to watching the rehearsal disc, some pretty good performances, Since I've Been Loving You is better than on the night, Stairway too. Lots of slightly different improv'd bits for the trainspotters. World's most boring cinematography though, just one stationary camera planted in front of the mixing desk. It's more of a listen than a watch.
"You know something's gone badly wrong with the world when Prince has stopped singing about sex, and Morrissey has started."

druz15
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by druz15 »

benderissimo wrote: I hardly ever have to ride the volume while I'm watching TV shows (and I regularly watch late at night while my kids are asleep) but movies are a different story. Especially DVD or Bluray. Could be a function of what you're watching or what you're listening through. US TV shows suddenly got really farken dynamic when they switched to digital broadcast so some US made shows will definitely fit that description, but only if you're playing back off DVD or *ahem* a file. More recent ones aren't as dynamic but are still more so than most of our locally produced shows. If you're watching a NZ broadcast it should be compressed and less of an issue.
yeah it'd be the DVDs and *files* nothing we actually watch on TV has that problem. Could also be that when I watch stuff on computer the speakers are monitors rather than just standard computer speakers.

Movies are another thing altogether, some are fine, but others things like explosions and gunshots are farkkin loud (obviously) but most of the dialogue is barely audible at the same volume, music the same.

I get that they want it to have impact and be all loud and shit in certain parts, but when I'm straining to hear what a character is saying (unless it's some deep quiet spoken passage) at the same time it's pretty retarded
BG wrote:I don't care if you worship god or you worship goats cocks