werdna
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 600 times
Been liked: 464 times

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Vector

Post by werdna »

Without John Frusciante on guitar, the latest record from the RHCP sounded like a competent cover band, so I was hoping their live show would deliver some of the old magic.

This they did on their older material, which sounded fresh and vital, the best coming from the peerless Blood Sugar Sex Magic. Especially cool was Suck My Kiss, which last night was a stadium rock song bringing the house on their feet. Of the newer records, Can't Stop sounded very good.

New guitarist Josh K has his own sound, single notes steeped in effects, and he was layering it all over the new material as well as the solos from the old material. Gone were Frush's staccato dry solos in all their extraordinary weirdness and wonder, replaced by some pretty well played but unmemorable stuff. There were extended jams between Flea and Josh, and as furious and note heavy as they were they lacked the hooks and space and style that Froosh delivered. As a contrast check out the short jam on Blood Sugar Sex Magic which sounds as though it arrived in a time capsule from a 1970s black ghetto movie. The new guitarist has every Froosh lick memorised and put enormous energy into the performance, so that most of the audience, who were 20 years old and came to see Anthony, wouldn't have noticed anyway.

The new material sounds really really average and disposable. They were weird and average before Frush, they became normal and average with Dave Navarro, and they have returned to normal and average with Josh. They are brilliant musicians with a great front man, but their songwriter is gone, so from now on they are a cool touring act as long as they stick to their career high points, the Froosh albums.
In life, don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1388 times
Been liked: 2132 times

Re: Red Hot Chili Peppers - Vector

Post by GrantB »

Thanks for this.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

twistedthoughts
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 7 times

Post by twistedthoughts »

[Edited]
Last edited by twistedthoughts on Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 389 times
Been liked: 186 times

Post by Vince »

werdna wrote:their songwriter is gone, so from now on they are a cool touring act as long as they stick to their career high points, the Froosh albums.
Dang, I've always wanted to like RHCP but never quite managed it. Now it's going to get harder still... :P
"Vince, have you ever tried playing an expensive bass?" - Polarbear.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

druz15
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by druz15 »

I love the new album. But that review sounds exactly like I think I would feel watching them.
BG wrote:I don't care if you worship god or you worship goats cocks

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7906 times
Been liked: 4256 times

Post by jeremyb »

For me they peaked at BSSM, haven't really had much interest in them since, following the Froosh is a hard act to follow, he was something else live!!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

TBB Flamey
Gibson

Post by TBB Flamey »

With or without froosh I reckon they are a dog that's had it's day..

I went for the hits, couldn't care less for their new material. And they were pretty good (alcohol helps one amp the situation too). Had a brilliant time I cannot deny!!

But if I were to look at it critically, it was exactly what I figured it would be. Some what indulgent contrived jams littered throughout the set. They're usual mantras to the crowd about how much they love us and how amazing and wonderful life is and wooww man energy (To be fair, I can't recall exactly what was said. Sue me). Flea playing the "wooOowww wacky craAAzzzY" odd ball card.

Keidis was on far better form then back in 2007.

The fact that you can download the video of that very set is quite intriguing also. Good idea, pity they couldn't have had that service on offer in their prime!!

But I'm not complaining. It is what it is!!! If they came again I'd prob give it a miss though tbh.
Live love leave eat sandwiches

druz15
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by druz15 »

TBB Flamey wrote:With or without froosh I reckon they are a dog that's had it's day..

I went for the hits, couldn't care less for their new material. And they were pretty good (alcohol helps one amp the situation too). Had a brilliant time I cannot deny!!

But if I were to look at it critically, it was exactly what I figured it would be. Some what indulgent contrived jams littered throughout the set. They're usual mantras to the crowd about how much they love us and how amazing and wonderful life is and wooww man energy (To be fair, I can't recall exactly what was said. Sue me). Flea playing the "wooOowww wacky craAAzzzY" odd ball card.

The fact that you can download the video of that very set is quite intriguing also. Good idea, pity they couldn't have had that service on offer in their prime!!

But I'm not complaining. It is what it is!!! If they came again I'd prob give it a miss though tbh.
I went to one of the '07 shows, I believe he was really sick or something.

I have the boot of the concert I went to and it shows. Really bad vocals (for him) throughout the whole night, and he disappeared at the end of give it away so they turned it into like a 15min freakout.

Pretty sure he was sick as a dog and pretty much dragged himself out of bed for both shows.

Would love to see them now, love the new material (sue me)
BG wrote:I don't care if you worship god or you worship goats cocks

shinenz
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times

Post by shinenz »

Californication has pretty much been my album of choice, maybe because foosh came back with some vitality....anyhows...seen them perform at vector when it first opened, was a great show. I think Anthony is a dick, always have, Flea should seal his trumpet in a steel case welded shut and never use it again!. John is of course a great musician, with or without the chilli's, and apart from californication, stadium album i really really enjoy, and still listen to most weeks. I have listened to new stuff, and hasn't been by choice...as previous comment about BSSM album, that is one of those classic albums, like appetite, will stand the test of time. But hey, they are a band like any other band, they appear to enjoy what they do, as we do with our own instruments, so good on em...will they capture there hay day, me thinks not
Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage

TBB Flamey
Gibson

Post by TBB Flamey »

druz15 wrote:
TBB Flamey wrote:With or without froosh I reckon they are a dog that's had it's day..

I went to one of the '07 shows, I believe he was really sick or something.

I have the boot of the concert I went to and it shows. Really bad vocals (for him) throughout the whole night, and he disappeared at the end of give it away so they turned it into like a 15min freakout.

Pretty sure he was sick as a dog and pretty much dragged himself out of bed for both shows.

Would love to see them now, love the new material (sue me)
Yeah he had pneumonia i think???? So respect for even turning up! haha
Live love leave eat sandwiches