Moderator: Capt. Black

The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 208 times
Been liked: 253 times

Kent Armstrong Pickups

Post by The Scarecrow »

Just thought I'd bring these up as both myself and the other guitarist in my band just had a KA pickup replacement installed care of Ash, thought I'd post some feedback on anyone looking at replacement pickups because in my opinion, these things are the bloody shiz.

The two guitars used were my '61 reissue SG and my bandmates Squier Strat. Obviously, the SG was going to own the Squier even in stock format, so getting the Strat equipped with a better pickup (both units had their bridge pickups replaced) was pretty essential as my bandmate could barely cut though at practise over my SG/DSL stack combo.

The pickups we purchased were a Hum Cancelling Hot Strat Humbucker (single coil sized) for the Squier and a Hot Rod Vintage 'bucker for myself. Don't get me wrong, some of you are probably going "why replace the '57 classics?" - the simple truth of it was that they didn't have enough gain - the tone was fantastic, just not ballsy enough. Ash recommended the Hot Rod Vintage as it had that "classic PAF" sound but with more punch - and he was right!

Picked the guitars up yesterday and did some assessments through the DSL when I got home, as follows.

Strat: This one definitely has the most changed tone, and I would hazard to say improved. It now plays and sounds better than any stock Squier I've ever played, and all the Mex Fenders I've had a go on. The pickup is really aggressive and overdrives pretty easily, definitely the gainier of the two you did, more treble and bass, a little shrill at higher gain volumes, but surprisingly doesn't feedback much at all. I'm almost tempted to keep this guitar now and not let Sean from my band have it back. Cleans up well enough as well, don't think there will be any need for the other coils anymore...

SG: Well, it took a bit of tinkering on the amp, because the Hot Rod Vintage is a quite different to the '57 PAF on my amp. WAAAAAY more mids and that's saying a lot, because I found the '57's to be pretty hefty on the midrange. A lot less highs, had to up the treble and presence a bit, but far out, does it cut through or what. I had to adjust the gain too, i.e crank it up a notch as it responds better to more gain than less. It actually plays metal and hard rock tones very well, sounds chunky for rhythm and the lead tone for fret-tapping was nuts. The best thing was that the clean was still intact. Overall, it's a subtle change, but it doesn't feed back anywhere near as bad as the '57.

I would fully recommened the Hot Strat Humbucker (looks fekkin' cool in the 'blade' style) to anyone who wants a "fat-strat" sound - the output on this thing is about 13k, so it's hotter than standard Fender single coils. I can't believe how good this $200 Squier sounds now, it makes me want to go and get one just so I can have this sound.

I reckon the Hot Rod Vintage would appeal across the board, because it's only aggressive if you bark up the gain a bit - on lower settings, it retains a very PAF sound and is virtually indistinguishable from the '57 classic it replaced. It was able play Weezer, The Darkness, Iron Maiden, Shihad and Papa Roach last night with a suberb degree of authenticity depending on how much mids I dialed it.

Best of all, it's cheaper (and dare I say on par with) than Duncan/Dimarzio stuff. I would suggest talking to Ash about them if you are looking at replacements as they have a fair range available (dozen or so), but not so many you can't make up your mind as I found with the Dunca range. I intend to try one of the distortion pickups on my next gat.
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The-Al ... 895?ref=ts

Trade Me: The_Scarecrow

"Friends don't let friends scoop mids."

DBM Music

Post by DBM Music »

Hey thats sounds awesome Scarecrow.

I have just finished installing Kent Armstrongs humbuckers into that guitar we are pimping up. We used the Vintage C and the WPU 11's.
Vintage C is 8.9k Humbucker with alot of soul. It sounds awesome, nice and warm great for clean playing. When you play dirty it has it's own favour. Its not a high output humbucker but it still puts out some nice 70's overdriven sounds.
The WPU 11 humbucker is 15k high output. Its strengh is in when using it for rock to high gain music. Great for Metal, 80's Rock, and flying solo's. When using it clean with the Vintage C it sounds dreamy. Fit for any type of music.

These pickups replaced Some Dimarzio pickups that were made in the USA. While those humbuckers did a great job, they didn't cover the tonal range we where after. It is safe to say we are getting a better sound out of the guitar now we have changed over to Kent Armstrong pickups.

When first ordering these pickus i was ait scared because they where of a unknown quality. Now that i have tried them i would recommend them to anyone.

borge
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by borge »

yeah they sound like wicked pickups from what ive heard. im planing on putting some in a guitar im currently building but really cant decide which ones.
whenever i play anything other than my emg loaded 85/81 rg570 i really miss the amount of gain i can get with them but i want something that has more natural cleans i was looking at the motherbucker and it sounds a bit to good to be true
"We don’t know of any other humbucker that can effectively sound like a strat pickup, a PAF humbucker, a medium output humbucker, and a high gain metal monster all in one. What more can we say….." (from kentarmstrong.com)
but i really wanted something with nickel covers, ive heard you can fit covers (without pole screw holes) on blade type pickups but have never seen just covers for sale. should i bother with the covers and huge complex wireing possibiltys of the mother buckers or will an oem distortion and super distortion or similar (wpu11 &wpu10) give me the high output and nice cleans im after?

DBM Music

Post by DBM Music »

The mother bucker should be fun. I will email my people at wd and find out if you can replace the covers. The wpu 11 and wpu 10 will be your best bet thou.

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

I'd consider a WPUJB, the one that Scarecrow tried in the neck and a WPU11 Distortion in the bridge position. I think both can come with chrome or nickel covers.

I have my doubts about whether the Motherbucker is really an accurate representation of those sounds mentioned. Its certainly versatile, but there is only one way to get an accurate pure strat sound, and that involves a strat pickup with alnico magnets.
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

borge
Fender
Fender

Post by borge »

[quote="kent armstrong.com"]
"We don’t know of any other humbucker that can effectively sound like a strat pickup, a PAF humbucker, a medium output humbucker, and a high gain metal monster all in one. What more can we say….."
[quote]
yeah i figured "effectively" is the operative word there as opposed to accurately. but im no tone nazi so i think id still be happy with them because of the huge amount of wireing configs and if they can have nickel covers (thanks for finding that out dbm)
at the moment i think ill go for a motherbucker in the bridge and something more PAFish in the neck depending on prices
now to decide the wireing.......

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

> but im no tone nazi

borge - that's a refreshing admission and one to which I too subscribe. The 'net is full of people whose ideas of tone are the only allowable ones...
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

Polar Bear
Burns BHM
Has liked: 340 times
Been liked: 342 times

Post by Polar Bear »

The Tri Sonics in my Burns were put together by MR Armstrong and his army of minions. Very nice, to say the least.
Zephyr - Wellington's Leading Covers Band

http://zephyrband.co.nz/
https://www.facebook.com/ZephyrBandNZ

borge
Fender
Fender

Post by borge »

Rog wrote:> but im no tone nazi

borge - that's a refreshing admission and one to which I too subscribe. The 'net is full of people whose ideas of tone are the only allowable ones...
yeah it sure is, i think alot of it is in their mind
"these (insert big brand name) cost more and heaps of famous folk use them so they must sound better" sort of thing.
but i really doubt if those people or any other person could distinguish a seymour duncan from a kent armstrong on an a/b test on the same gat amp etc
id rather spend more money on an amp which is without a doubt the biggest piece of the tone puzzle

DBM Music

Post by DBM Music »

Yeah Kent does the full range. He even does those spilt tubes pick ups.

http://www.dbmmusic.com/1002/files/KentArmstrong.pdf

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

DBM Music wrote:Yeah Kent does the full range. He even does those spilt tubes pick ups.

http://www.dbmmusic.com/1002/files/KentArmstrong.pdf
Not surprisingly considering his old man invented them!!

Doesn't stop them from being pretty mediocre though :lol:
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

DBM Music

Post by DBM Music »

Lol good one ash. Borge, sorry to say man but its a no can do with chroming the motherbucker. Sorry man.

borge
Fender
Fender

Post by borge »

bummer
oh well i think i will still get one. ive just did some research on the wireing and found thishttp://www.kentarmstrong.com/KA_Pickup_ ... ctions.pdf
right down the bottom it has the motherbucker diagram
three DPDT switches for the one pickup! (well its two pickups really)
i dont really think i want all those switches cluttering up my gat (and confusing me)
i guess ill have to decide what combinations i want and try and wire them
up with a strat style 5 way or maybe a rotary and 1 vol 1 tone (push/pulls probably)

DBM Music

Post by DBM Music »

Borge u have a pm