NZ Music Month, worthy of your support?

CD's, Gigs, Gear, anything you want!

Moderator: Capt. Black

aliasceiza
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

NZ Music Month, worthy of your support?

Post by aliasceiza »

It’s NZ music month again, and the air waves are flooded more than usual with the likes of The Mockers, The Swingers, Hello Sailor, Dragon, The dudes, good old Dave in all his other bands, The Exponents, Neil and Tim in their Various incarnations, The Feelers, Opshop, GoodShirt, LMNOP, Tadpole, Anika, Bic, Brook Shona Lang, even Jenny Morris (Remember her?) not to mention trusty old Shihad, The Datsuns, SuperGroove, and more recently, Black River Drive, I am Giant, Luger Boa, DevilSkin, and everything going according to plan, Setting Fire to Stacey with the track called Something out of nothing!

Obviously, there are a lot more bands on the air waves than the ones I’ve mentioned, and whether you personally like them or not isn’t important, the point is, there are a lot of NZ bands achieving some reasonable commercial success, and good on them to, but what about some of the bands that aren't quite there yet?

Four months ago, I joined an originals band, sort of by accident, or kind of by default, I’m too old to still be trying to become a rock star, IMO of course, but it sparked my interest in original bands in general, and what a whole lot of bands there are!

I’m Talking under the radar, whether the band is on the brink of hitting the air waves, grinding away in some sort of underground movement, or never going to make it out of the garage…I reckon we should list what local bands we know of, bands that for better or worse, are out there ’Doin It’ in some form or other!

Our band is called Storm Eater, we’re on facebook and youtube, we’re doing the battle, not much else for original bands without lots of money to do, we opened for DevilSkin on the weekend, twas a hard case gig!

A little heavy for my tastes, but still got lots of potential I reckon, is another band here in Tauranga called ‘In Darkest light’ also doing the battle.

Way too alternative for me is another band called ‘Super Narco Man’ but if that’s your thing, then they are 3 good musicians that gig all round the north Island, some times 2 or 3 times a week.

Threat.meet.protocol was one of those drum and bass 2 piece bands, very alternative, and recently added a keyboard, much to their advantage I reckon, and the members are behind the whole Tauranga music sux thing, which despite it’s name, isn’t the negative movement it sounds like.

The Flaming Teabags are pretty recent on the scene, and they’re also behind a youtube channel called Teabag media productions which is trying to put out a series on local bands, tunes and interviews etc, along with some funny, or not so funny, shit on the way. Only one episode out last time I checked, but it’s got some potential too I believe.

There’s loads of others, and a whole raft of those death metal, or new age metal or whatever you call it, like The Blameless, Cast a Cyclone, be my anchor and god knows what else…and while they all have some decent musicians in them, they’re also somewhat inbred, sharing members and what not, making them all sound pretty similar!

All these bands have facebook and youtube or soundcloud pages etc, so if you get a chance, check them out, like their pages, and post up some of the local bands in your areas, or don’t, whatever works for you!

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7748 times
Been liked: 4188 times

Re: NZ Music Month, worthy of your support?

Post by jeremyb »

Bands you haven't listed that I love, Jakob, Keretta, New Way Home, Decortica, Sora Shima, Cairo Knife Fight, oooh sure some more will come to me!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

aliasceiza

Post by aliasceiza »

That wasn't the point, I wasn't trying to list all the bands I new from NZ, it's the little local underground bands that haven't surfaced yet I'm talking about!

Obviously the spiel was too long!

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7748 times
Been liked: 4188 times

Post by jeremyb »

TL;DR

Okay bands which haven't surfaced yet that I suggest checking out The Whiskey Show, and Monroe are two I very much enjoyed watching last time I was in wellington :)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

sopachrga
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by sopachrga »

aliasceiza wrote: and everything going according to plan, Setting Fire to Stacey with the track called Something out of nothing!

Haha, Thanks!
It's been playing a bit on Hauraki for the last week, and we should start hearing it on The Rock very soon too. :congrats:

One cool local band who I reckon are on the verge is Ashei.
Ummm....

godgrinder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 594 times

Post by godgrinder »

No, like someone said, NZ music month is basically about spending taxpayers' money to cover up local DIY gig posters. :lol:

I support local bands, but fuck NZ music month.
Amps:
Soldano SLO100 x2 | Wizard MC1 & MC2 | Diezel Herbert
Fryette Pittbull CL | Marshall 2203KK | Krank Rev 50 | Mesa Mark 2A

Rack stuff:
VHT/Fryette GP3, GP/DI & 2/90/2 | Peters FSM/Chimera
Verellen Meatsmoke | Synergy SYN1 | Mesa Studio

cholera
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 4 times

Post by cholera »

godgrinder wrote:No, like someone said, NZ music month is basically about spending taxpayers' money to cover up local DIY gig posters. :lol:

I support local bands, but fuck NZ music month.
+1,000,000.

I saw something extremely brilliant on Facebook. Basically it said don't go and spend 30 bucks on one of those stupid NZ Music Month shirts, go spend that money on a local bands merch or music. I really hate those shirts. I still get the impression this Music month scheme is kinda like saying "these guys are good....for a NZ band".
And it also reminds me of special olympics.

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 389 times
Been liked: 186 times

Post by Vince »

I don't mind if there's gigs in it for me. Having said that, there's also this
cholera wrote:And it also reminds me of special olympics.
which I agree with as well.
"Vince, have you ever tried playing an expensive bass?" - Polarbear.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

aliasceiza

Post by aliasceiza »

So again, you last three guys didn't read, or missed the point, the point being, never mind all the bands that have made it, let's talk about all the bands that haven't yet, I.E, those local DIY acts etc.

Funny about the posters though, we put up about 30 around town for the Devilskin gig, they survived 4 days, then in the space of one night, they all disappeared!

aliasceiza

Post by aliasceiza »

sopachrga wrote:
aliasceiza wrote: and everything going according to plan, Setting Fire to Stacey with the track called Something out of nothing!

Haha, Thanks!
It's been playing a bit on Hauraki for the last week, and we should start hearing it on The Rock very soon too. :congrats:

One cool local band who I reckon are on the verge is Ashei.
You know, I have a sister called Stacey, and it's almost like you've met her, she's always making something out of nothing, and I'm waiting for the day that someone sets her on fire, just to shut her up!

The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!
Has liked: 208 times
Been liked: 253 times

Post by The Scarecrow »

I honestly feel it should be renamed to NZ Commercially Viable Music Month in most instances.

And Cholera's post hits a few nails on the head.
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The-Al ... 895?ref=ts

Trade Me: The_Scarecrow

"Friends don't let friends scoop mids."

sopachrga
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by sopachrga »

aliasceiza wrote: You know, I have a sister called Stacey, and it's almost like you've met her, she's always making something out of nothing, and I'm waiting for the day that someone sets her on fire, just to shut her up!
haha, sounds like we've found the star of our next video!
Ummm....

godgrinder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 594 times

Post by godgrinder »

aliasceiza wrote:So again, you last three guys didn't read, or missed the point, the point being, never mind all the bands that have made it, let's talk about all the bands that haven't yet, I.E, those local DIY acts etc.
TL;DR and your thread title might be slightly misleading. :wink:

And I'm not sure what's your definition of "making it". There isn't much money to be made from playing music in NZ, some of the bands you mentioned in the first paragraph still probably have to work their day jobs etc.
choleraI wrote:still get the impression this Music month scheme is kinda like saying "these guys are good....for a NZ band".
This, if bands have to rely on NZMM to get gigs/airtime/support/sales etc they are probably doing something wrong in the first place...
Amps:
Soldano SLO100 x2 | Wizard MC1 & MC2 | Diezel Herbert
Fryette Pittbull CL | Marshall 2203KK | Krank Rev 50 | Mesa Mark 2A

Rack stuff:
VHT/Fryette GP3, GP/DI & 2/90/2 | Peters FSM/Chimera
Verellen Meatsmoke | Synergy SYN1 | Mesa Studio

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 209 times
Been liked: 657 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

It does do one good thing though - reminds promoters/bar owners to put on more gigs than usual, and also maybe to be aware of new bands a little bit more.
We’ve "past participle of get" two gigs this month, both branded ‘NZMM’ events. In general though, I’m not a fan.

aliasceiza

Post by aliasceiza »

godgrinder wrote:
aliasceiza wrote:So again, you last three guys didn't read, or missed the point, the point being, never mind all the bands that have made it, let's talk about all the bands that haven't yet, I.E, those local DIY acts etc.
TL;DR and your thread title might be slightly misleading. :wink:

And I'm not sure what's your definition of "making it". There isn't much money to be made from playing music in NZ, some of the bands you mentioned in the first paragraph still probably have to work their day jobs etc.
choleraI wrote:still get the impression this Music month scheme is kinda like saying "these guys are good....for a NZ band".
This, if bands have to rely on NZMM to get gigs/airtime/support/sales etc they are probably doing something wrong in the first place...
And yet, by reading only the title of a thread, you felt informed enough to offer an opinion, if the post is too long and you didn't read it, then maybe you shouldn't have had an opinion.

Likewise with a few of the others, it's the non comercial local bands, gigging every week for nothing that I was hoping to promote in this thread, instead, you see a title, jump to conclusions, and miss the point completely!

Good on you!