CD's, Gigs, Gear, anything you want!

Moderator: Capt. Black

godgrinder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 594 times

Re: NZ Music Month, worthy of your support?

Post by godgrinder »

aliasceiza wrote:And yet, by reading only the title of a thread, you felt informed enough to offer an opinion, if the post is too long and you didn't read it, then maybe you shouldn't have had an opinion.

Likewise with a few of the others, it's the non comercial local bands, gigging every week for nothing that I was hoping to promote in this thread, instead, you see a title, jump to conclusions, and miss the point completely!

Good on you!
My opinion is towards NZMM in general, not your post. I reached my conclusion from going to more than 20 gigs per year during the last 6 years (more than half of them would be local bands and I usually watch the local supporting bands at international gigs too), talking to local musicians and running a label that releases stuff for local DIY bands.
Amps:
Soldano SLO100 x2 | Wizard MC1 & MC2 | Diezel Herbert
Fryette Pittbull CL | Marshall 2203KK | Krank Rev 50 | Mesa Mark 2A

Rack stuff:
VHT/Fryette GP3, GP/DI & 2/90/2 | Peters FSM/Chimera
Verellen Meatsmoke | Synergy SYN1 | Mesa Studio

cholera
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 4 times

Post by cholera »

Ok, here's a brief list of the bands I saw in the last month or so
Beastwars ( actually on the way "up")
PCP Eagles, Shitripper, Brutal Supremacy, Methdrinker, Farming the Population, Insidious Wretch, Bulletbelt (those 2 are particularly awesome because I'm in both of them), Razorwyre, and..I could go on for a long time. But NZMM is likely to do exactly nothing for any of those bands (excepting possibly Beastwars) and I don't really mind. I stand by what I said. NZMM sucks, but what sucks more is people who buy those stupid shirts (conveniently they have a target on them however), go to a Feelers gig on Saturday night then spend the next week going on about how awesome NZMM is.

I understand your point Alice....I just didn't really feel it was worth listing a bunch of bands because there's not many people on here who I think would even like them.

Lastly, what happened to that band Platinum (or was it Titanium)? Please tell me they didnt get NZonAir funding.

cholera
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by cholera »

Oh, by the way, Parents were a pretty cool band worth checking out.

aliasceiza

Post by aliasceiza »

cholera wrote:Ok, here's a brief list of the bands I saw in the last month or so
Beastwars ( actually on the way "up")
PCP Eagles, Shitripper, Brutal Supremacy, Methdrinker, Farming the Population, Insidious Wretch, Bulletbelt (those 2 are particularly awesome because I'm in both of them), Razorwyre, and..I could go on for a long time. But NZMM is likely to do exactly nothing for any of those bands (excepting possibly Beastwars) and I don't really mind. I stand by what I said. NZMM sucks, but what sucks more is people who buy those stupid shirts (conveniently they have a target on them however), go to a Feelers gig on Saturday night then spend the next week going on about how awesome NZMM is.

I understand your point Alice....I just didn't really feel it was worth listing a bunch of bands because there's not many people on here who I think would even like them.

Lastly, what happened to that band Platinum (or was it Titanium)? Please tell me they didnt get NZonAir funding.
That's what I'm talking about, I've never heard of any of these bands, I was hoping to start a thread to share these bands so others could hear of them too!

The thread title is ironic, but as my OP says, I don't in any way have anything against the NZ music month thing, it doesn't affect me, and good on those it works for...I just wanted to share a few other bands that aren't on the radio or TV, there are a lot of them out there, and some really good musicians amongst them.

This wasn't supposed to be about NZ music month at all!

godgrinder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by godgrinder »

cholera wrote:But NZMM is likely to do exactly nothing for any of those bands (excepting possibly Beastwars) and I don't really mind.
They probably wouldn't mind either, especially Meth Drinker, considering that they are basically spending the entire May touring in Europe.

I could've listed a bunch of bands as well most of the internationally acclaimed local non-commercial bands I like probably never had to do with the entire NZMM thing - Diocletian, Witchrist, Sinistrous Diabolus (one of our fellow forum-mates played/plays in all 3), Vassafor, Ulcerate, Meth Drinker, Heresiarch etc. Plus this:
cholera wrote:there's not many people on here who I think would even like them.
cholera wrote:those stupid shirts
The only party that is actually benefiting from NZMM is probably whoever's making them (Hallenstein?), not local bands.
Last edited by godgrinder on Tue May 07, 2013 4:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Amps:

Rack stuff:

The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!
Has liked: 209 times
Been liked: 253 times

Post by The Scarecrow »

I'd put money on the fact those t-shirts are likely made offshore. :zomg:
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The-Al ... 895?ref=ts

Trade Me: The_Scarecrow

"Friends don't let friends scoop mids."

aliasceiza

Post by aliasceiza »

godgrinder wrote:
aliasceiza wrote:And yet, by reading only the title of a thread, you felt informed enough to offer an opinion, if the post is too long and you didn't read it, then maybe you shouldn't have had an opinion.

Likewise with a few of the others, it's the non comercial local bands, gigging every week for nothing that I was hoping to promote in this thread, instead, you see a title, jump to conclusions, and miss the point completely!

Good on you!
My opinion is towards NZMM in general, not your post. I reached my conclusion from going to more than 20 gigs per year during the last 6 years (more than half of them would be local bands and I usually watch the local supporting bands at international gigs too), talking to local musicians and running a label that releases stuff for local DIY bands.
Yes, and that is fine, except you posted your opinion on NZ music month when the point of this thread was to help promote those local diy bands your talking about...

Trying to keep it positive, why don't you tell us some of the bands on your label so we can check them out?

Go and read my original post, if you can take the time to post on the thread, you can also take the time to read what it's about!

godgrinder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by godgrinder »

The Scarecrow wrote:I'd put money on the fact those t-shirts are likely made offshore. :zomg:
Yeah the blanks were probably made somewhere in Latin America or China.
aliasceiza wrote:This wasn't supposed to be about NZ music month at all!
Could've phrased it better really, for example "NZ Music Month, bands worthy of your support?" etc. Also when you write a long post which takes a few paragraphs until you reach your main point, many forum people (including me) would just go TL;DR and say whatever we want in disregard of your thread really.
aliasceiza wrote:Trying to keep it positive, why don't you tell us some of the bands on your label so we can check them out?
And seriously, 80% of the copies of releases I did for local bands were sent/sold overseas, and we are talking about tiny pressings like 100-200 copies.
Amps:

Rack stuff:

aliasceiza

Post by aliasceiza »

aliasceiza wrote:This wasn't supposed to be about NZ music month at all!
Could've phrased it better really, for example "NZ Music Month, bands worthy of your support?" etc. Also when you write a long post which takes a few paragraphs until you reach your main point, many forum people (including me) would just go TL;DR and say whatever we want in disregard of your thread really.

What an attitude, that's the kind of support I'd like as a local DIY band!
aliasceiza wrote:Trying to keep it positive, why don't you tell us some of the bands on your label so we can check them out?
And seriously, 80% of the copies of releases I did for local bands were sent/sold overseas, and we are talking about tiny pressings like 100-200 copies.[/quote]

So that's your cue to just wash your hands of it all and say, "Fuck NZ and their tastes in music!"

head_strong
Squier
Been liked: 5 times

Post by head_strong »

godgrinder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by godgrinder »

aliasceiza wrote:What an attitude, that's the kind of support I'd like as a local DIY band!
Does reading your post thoroughly or not has anything to do with supporting or not supporting local DIY bands? And I was basically just pointing out a general internet fact.
aliasceiza wrote:So that's your cue to just wash your hands of it all and say, "Fuck NZ and their tastes in music!"
I didn't say or mean that, most of my local acquaintances have pretty good taste in music. I'm pretty happy about the ratio of where my releases are going. I've done promotion on the local forums that are actually relevant to the genres I release and the people on here that might be interested in those stuff also read those forums as far as I can tell, and the others who post on here probably won't be very interested due to the nature of those genres of music.
Amps:

Rack stuff:

cholera
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by cholera »

godgrinder wrote:
aliasceiza wrote:What an attitude, that's the kind of support I'd like as a local DIY band!
Does reading your post thoroughly or not has anything to do with supporting or not supporting local DIY bands? And I was basically just pointing out a general internet fact.
aliasceiza wrote:So that's your cue to just wash your hands of it all and say, "Fuck NZ and their tastes in music!"
I didn't say or mean that, most of my local acquaintances have pretty good taste in music. I'm pretty happy about the ratio of where my releases are going. I've done promotion on the local forums that are actually relevant to the genres I release and the people on here that might be interested in those stuff also read those forums as far as I can tell, and the others who post on here probably won't be very interested due to the nature of those genres of music.
GG...I think he meant me with the "FUCK NZ and their tastes in Music".
I would never say "Fuck NZ"....I would however say "Fuck NZers and their tastes in music". But that's going off topic, I think? I realise now what the point of the thread was, but I still couldn't resist having a dig at NZMM. I mean, who could?

The whole concept of it is almost (almost ) as bad as the Feelers and Dane Rumble

cholera
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by cholera »

Extra shoutout to Methdrinker...I saw their last show before they split. They make up for The Feelers and Dane Rumble.

aliasceiza

Post by aliasceiza »

Nothing personal godgrinder, I can't work the emoticons so what I write gets taken literally, having said that, jumping on a thread and whaling about something without reading the OP, just because that's how all other forumites do it is pretty much the same concept as commercial music, everyone else likes it, so I will too, step out of the box, I dare you!

The really sad part is, that when I started this thread, this is exactly what I new would happen...people that post on the thread wouldn't bother reading it, and the few that did, don't think it's worth mentioning any bands because no one here would give a shit!

Never mind, as you were,

cholera
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by cholera »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0Py1qspZVE

Just to lighten the mood a bit.