sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1210 times
Been liked: 1401 times

The Night That Changed America

Post by sizzlingbadger »

Did anyone else watch this The Night That Changed America: A Grammy Salute To The Beatles on Sky last night ?

I thought it was pretty good and enjoyed the history of each Beatle member. The only low point was maroon 5 covering "Ticket to Ride" which they managed to make sound totally dreary and dead. Annie Lennox was fucking outstanding though :mental:

Bit of a write up here http://www.avclub.com/review/the-night- ... to--201084
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

Lawrence
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 605 times

Re: The Night That Changed America

Post by Lawrence »

yes well worth watching.

Steve Lukather and Peter Frampton both did themselves credit, as did Dave Grohl. Joe Walsh was outstanding. John Mayer executed several of his licks well....Keith Urban wasnt quite as astounding as at the Grammies but the boy can surely play!!

I was disappointed in Gary Clark Junior..again (is this guy all hype??)

and I was , well not surprised but pleased to hear how Katy Perry could hold her head high on what is a very revealing song to perform...

The worst part of the Maroon 5 performance was the mix as it lost the vocal harmony that the song is built around.

interesting to read Badgers comment....not so sure I thought Lennox was "gig fit".

all in all...its going to stay on the sky box for a while till I watch it again....theres a bit of boutique amp spotting to be done.
GrantB wrote:
“You might be cool, but you’ll never be playing a white Steinberger through a JC120, wearing a white jumpsuit with white shoes and sporting a mullet cool”.

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

I myskyed it and managed to watch 10 mins until the kids wouldn't shut up so I turned it off....will have to watch when they are in bed. In the 10 mins I got a bit annoyed with the panning to the "stars" in the audience. Yes I know it is the grammy's and I know the event was a who's who of whoever, but I couldn't careless if tom hanks was there just show the music/doco bits
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sizzlingbadger »

Annie will be 60 this year don't forget :winky:
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

Miza
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 755 times
Been liked: 254 times

Post by Miza »

I watched about an hour before bed.

It was mostly typically-cheesy, over-produced, A-List star-spangled BS. But there were the odd few decent performances.

That British kid Ed Sheeran did ok, as did Katy Perry and Annie Lennox.

I thought Grohl's song choice could have been better.

Keith Urban was probably the highlight. Dude can play, and he sang Lennon's bits really convincingly. Can't take to John Mayer though. His bohemian, too-cool-for-school, cardigan and ug-boots thing he's got going on at the moment especially grinds me. :x And his playing is not that original.
Nothing to see here.

vintage52
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 375 times
Been liked: 130 times

Post by vintage52 »

babytaylor wrote:
Can't take to John Mayer though. His bohemian, too-cool-for-school, cardigan and ug-boots thing he's got going on at the moment especially grinds me. :x And his playing is not that original.
He's a bit like Stevie Ray meets Kurt Cobain.

Cops SRV licks and facial expressions when he can and dons Kurts dress sense.

Don't get me wrong - I love both SRV and Kurt. Combined they make a really ugly child. :D
Wellington

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sizzlingbadger »

babytaylor wrote:I watched about an hour before bed.

It was mostly typically-cheesy, over-produced, A-List star-spangled BS. But there were the odd few decent performances.
It was a Grammy Salute so I expected that :winky:

Mayer looked like an extra in a low budget Robin Hood TV series from the 70's.

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

got to watch most of it last night (my sky didn't record all of it....only saw half of pauls set)

Alicia Keys did the one thing you should never to on let it be...over sing. All that "vocal gymnastic" stuff that female singers do now just kill good melodies, John Legend was awesome on it though

Pharrell Williams’ and Brad Paisley were awesome to ... I think I liked brads guitar tone the best overall. I thought katy perry murder yesterday? well sounded bloody awful to me anyway

Thought keith urban was great (why haven't we jumped on him being a kiwi like we do with every one else who' s parents might have had sex in NZ??.....he's probably close to NZ most successful musician isn't he?).....john mayer gives me a micheal buble vibe for some reason. His voice just sounds "put on" or something

agree about gary clark jnr ..... boring voice .... joe walsh was great, but then joe is great so thats a given

I know its just me but I just can't stand dave grohl ...... he strikes me as that little kid who is like "look at me look at me" (i know he's probably the opposite to that but everz).

Overall I enjoyed it .......... did sean lennon go out of his way to look like his dad :shock: scary how alike they are
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

Edwards
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Edwards »

there were a lot of old people there
ESP Edwards Jimmy Page Les Paul / ESP Eclipse > Rivera Quiana 212
We are the Christians that the devil warned you about

Miza
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 755 times
Been liked: 254 times

Post by Miza »

willow13 wrote: Overall I enjoyed it .......... did sean lennon go out of his way to look like his dad :shock: scary how alike they are
He, much like Dhani Harrison (who also looks scarily like his dad), appear to live off the success of their parents, so it probably pays to look like them. :moresarc:
Nothing to see here.