Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Educate me on Vocal Harmonisers.

Post by Slowy »

I'm in a band of old codgers. The only highs we can produce is feedback.

So I suggest a vocal harmoniser, they think it's a brilliant idea and start quizzing me.

And I haven't got a clue. Just because I said, "vocal harmoniser" doesn't mean I know anything.

Anybody use them?
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

griff
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 247 times

Re: Educate me on Vocal Harmonisers.

Post by griff »

Following this one.

Jake
Gibson
Has liked: 65 times
Been liked: 107 times

Post by Jake »

I picked up a TC Helicon something or other from somebody on here and it’s great - my advice is jut use a single extra voice (eg a fifth) rather than crowding it with two extra voices

jimi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 837 times
Been liked: 358 times

Post by jimi »

After some terrible attempts at doing some Eagles harmonies, my band all pitched in and bought our singer one. Had a couple of goes but it’s landed in the too hard basket I think.

Sorry, not much help.

griff
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 247 times

Post by griff »

Vocal harmonist 'Petal'

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

Here's a video I made for work a few months ago that (I think) showcases pretty well the tasteful use of a vocal pedal to enhance various aspects of a performance. The harmonies on this one work on the key that you input into the unit, which means you'd have to program it differently for each song.

However, newer units such as this next one, can operate on guitar input key recognition, so basically you tell it you want to stack a high and low harmony for example, and it'll sense from the chords you're playing what vocal harmony to produce. It's quite magical, really!

Be aware though, with this kind of unit, if you're not the singer, it'll probably end up falling to you to program and control the unit :lol: which, perhaps, is for the best anyway...

Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

bobiron
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 121 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by bobiron »

I use a TC Helicon XT Harmony, it has a number of presets you can fiddle with. It's good unit and has a nice preamp for the voice with some compression and eq, you do need to feed an instrument into it for the unit to track your key (essential). I don't use this in the context where there are people who can actually sing any harmony as rule and tend to use it to fill in choruses in a smaller context and is something I do like over using. These are a shit load of fun by yourself, but you do need reasonable pitching and breath control to get something that sounds good in the first place. On aside note, because I love the TC stuff, I have a TC Helicon Synth as well, which has the same preamp front end, but different synth and autotune effects. Its a load fun too, never played this out (yet). To get the best out of the autotune requires good voice control too of course, no easy answers there either. SH market price for an XT Harmony is around the $250 mark I believe.
OMM OM MM OMM MM

Bollix
Stagg
Stagg
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 17 times

Post by Bollix »

Following this

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

slash-ed wrote:Here's a video I made for work a few months ago that (I think) showcases pretty well the tasteful use of a vocal pedal to enhance various aspects of a performance. The harmonies on this one work on the key that you input into the unit, which means you'd have to program it differently for each song.

However, newer units such as this next one, can operate on guitar input key recognition, so basically you tell it you want to stack a high and low harmony for example, and it'll sense from the chords you're playing what vocal harmony to produce. It's quite magical, really!

Be aware though, with this kind of unit, if you're not the singer, it'll probably end up falling to you to program and control the unit :lol: which, perhaps, is for the best anyway...

Thanks Ed. Fortunately, the singer plays guitar so that's a start. I think this has more options and complexity than we need; remember we're old. Is there anything that just plugs in and gives straight harmony?
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

Slowy wrote: Thanks Ed. Fortunately, the singer plays guitar so that's a start. I think this has more options and complexity than we need; remember we're old. Is there anything that just plugs in and gives straight harmony?
Haha fair enough!

This is probably what you'd want for straightforward easy harmonies (from our range, anyway!):

Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

Kris
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 386 times

Post by Kris »

ive got a VE---20.Its fuckin great but the only use i have for the harmoniser is making bath plug type gurgles.

Lawrence
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 605 times

Post by Lawrence »

hey Slowy
Ive got a Digitech vocalist live 4 sitting idle. PM if you're interested.
GrantB wrote:
“You might be cool, but you’ll never be playing a white Steinberger through a JC120, wearing a white jumpsuit with white shoes and sporting a mullet cool”.

kwhelan
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 123 times
Been liked: 93 times

Post by kwhelan »

I watched a digitech vocalist demo roadshow few years back and it was amazing. the guy they had do the demo really sold it. It had patches for specific band harmonies already loaded.you could just choose, eagles, beach boys , a full church gospel choir etc, did amazing male to female type patching, mind blown

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

Lawrence wrote:hey Slowy
Ive got a Digitech vocalist live 4 sitting idle. PM if you're interested.
Noted, thanks. I'm having dinner with the band tonight. Will discuss.

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 651 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

I'm going to sound like a Negative Nigel, but I'm not a fan. They can be used well and creatively (as in Ed's first video), but usually they aren't. It often just sounds like a random fake harmony that no one is actually singing.
My advice for un-singable high harmonies would be to sing the same notes an octave down.

We looked at one for our Springsteen band, to add some really high soprano-type lines, but it just sounded wrong, so instead we booked some extra vocal rehearsals to work out how we could sound full and good without the high voice.