If that's not Rock 'n Roll, I don't know what its!

CD's, Gigs, Gear, anything you want!

Moderator: Capt. Black

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

If that's not Rock 'n Roll, I don't know what its!

Post by ash »

Those immortal words uttered by our very own "The Henderson" at the Smokefree Rockquest which was on the tele last Saturday afternoon.

I might normally have skipped it, but for TH mentioning his thorough embarrasment over the event.... that I had to see :mrgreen:

And fair enough too... It was a cracker. It takes some skill to break a guitar strap, a microphone and knock over a mic-stand in one fell swoop! Especially while singing and playing before a seething crowd of sweaty teen girls!! Bummer dude :lol:

Up until that moment you guys (The Henderson Experience) were really in with a shot at the title. I loved the vocal interaction between the singing dudes and the song was great. The only other downfall (besides the downfall of your gat, mic and dignity) was the slightly poofy, fake pop-punk accent you were both singing with. Best leave that one to 48 May... their reputation is already tarred ;) Even with the carnage at the end, I rated you better than the eventual third place getters who I thought were a bit bland by comparison.

There were two other bands and one solo worth a mention. Kimbra Wasshername did the solo Bic Runga/Brooke Fraser deal with a nice Taylor acoustic. If she can grow out of the silly R&B wavering widdly vocal crap at the end of each phrase she'll be the next Bic/Brooke all over the radio. Plus she's pretty so she'll be all over the tele too...

The Electric Confectionaires won the competition with some classy retro quirkyness. They reminded me strongly of things like the Spencer Davis Group and the Kinks in some respects. Other bands may be closer resemblances, but I can't remember them.

Second place getters were Midnight Youth. I think they must have been pretty close to victory, but perhaps weren't quite as distinctive as the winners. The one boldly distinctive thing was that the singer dude was like a little Neil Finn clone. He even had a goofy haircut!! His voice, style, delivery was Finn all over. I went out into the kitchen while their song was on and while listening without watching thought it could easily have been a late Split Enz lost demo or something. They're a damn good chance of further honours and I just heard them on the radio, so the ball has started rolling for them.

Not bad for a bunch of kids.... Keep up the good work, TH.
Last edited by ash on Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

TMG 03
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by TMG 03 »

I never knew it was on. sounds like a fun gig to play.

Optimus_prime
Tokai
Tokai

Post by Optimus_prime »

I saw that, except for one silly band
I thought it was pretty good

Jenesis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Jenesis »

I thought the Confectionaires were worthy winners. The lead singer has a cool Billy T. James Marshall Hendrix goof vibe.

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

Definetly a Hendrix thing there :lol:
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

thehenderson
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by thehenderson »

Hahaha

I just stumbled apon this...

Our performance was awfull in that, and we got in a spot of trouble for detroying microphone, guitar amp and keyboard DI box.

We are ACTUALLY a half decent band (haha, of course we are :P)

http://www.myspace.com/thehendersonexperience

Have a listen to The Better Tones and tell me what you think?

:D

Thanks for the mention though :D

thehenderson
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by thehenderson »

...P.S.

for refference, I only broke the guitar strap.. I then grabbed the mic and threw the stand into the crowd. Swung the mic around a bit.... and when I went to sing/scream:P into it, it was broken
My singing on that show was awfull and inexcusable. Please, I can actually sing in tune quite nicely

Hahah, and it wasn't at all embarresing, we break stuff alot. Lots of youngin bands in welly do :D People love it haha

....So many bass drums and foldbacks demolished...

We've mellowed a little now :D

caskin8a
Stagg
Stagg

Post by caskin8a »

lol i didnt see it but it sounds ledgendary dude.