Moderator: Capt. Black

GrantB
ADMIN
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1362 times
Been liked: 2100 times

The Killers - Sam's Town

Post by GrantB »

It’s a shame when bands begin to believe all the shit that gets pumped down their throats once they get some critical acclaim. A good example of the sort of poo that comes out when this happens is U2 and Rattle and Hum on the heels of Joshua Tree. Bar the few good songs on R&H the whole trip to the USA to find their souls, produced an album that was a stinker. At least they moved on from there knowing they could never go back to such contrived bull.

So now we see a band following the exact same road…step by step. One of my favourite bands of recent times is the Killers. Their album Hot Fuss was, and still is, a breath of fresh air in the music world even if it was built on yesteryear’s new wave/punk/Bowie-esque themes. So I rush off to Sounds yesterday having heard the excellent “When You Were Young” single off Sam’s Town. I purchase the album. First it doesn’t play because my Mondeo’s Sony CD Player has become extremely selective about what discs it likes. So eventually, and with frustration building (as I’m dying to hear this great band once again), I convert the songs to wma, shove ‘em on my Pocket Pc and listen to the album driving home. First song – kinda passes me by without me doing much at all…the second song is a kind of contrived bridge thing called “enterlude”. Again, not really much happening there. Then the single – oh man this is good. When You Were Young has some great hooks in it. Very stirring….

But, the album wanders on and I’m left at the thinking what the hell happened? What are all these nothing songs with few (if any) catches, or emotion, and these try-hard pop vocals? The album, considered in it’s full presence, is unfortunately a weak follow up to Hot Fuss.

And what a shame that once again a truly original band has fallen off the edge backwards into the safer arms of mediocrity, rather than forwards, dangerously tumbling into something better again. I hope they can claw it back, but history would seem to want to prove otherwise.

Anyone want a copy of Sam's town?
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

angry_young_poet
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 14 times

Post by angry_young_poet »

it is a 2nd album.. always a flop :?

look at alanis..

TMG 03
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by TMG 03 »

I have not had the urge to rush out and buy it as yet. Still loving hot fuss. I don't want to pop the bubble. :)

vacant
Ashton
Ashton
Been liked: 2 times

Post by vacant »

ppfffttt the strokes pwn the killers, havent heard their new album but is this it and room on fire were both excellent albums, I did enjoy hot fuss for about a month but it grew really old really fast. YMMV
I've been trying to justify you, in the end I will just defy you.

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

vacant wrote:ppfffttt the strokes pwn the killers, havent heard their new album but is this it and room on fire were both excellent albums, I did enjoy hot fuss for about a month but it grew really old really fast. YMMV
Mmm, well, not really into comparing bands because they have a little genre cross over. The Strokes are fantastic but they are not The Killers, and vice versa. The new Strokes is awesome by the way...
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

stark
Squier

Post by stark »

angry_young_poet wrote:look at alanis..
ok, as long as I don't hafta listen to her "play" the harmonica :wink:
this one's special, this is the ultimate, after this i'll never need another amp, EVER...Image
starkAM

C^8
Stagg
Stagg

Post by C^8 »

I just had a listen to the album. After reading the *unique* I was prepared for the worst, but I actually quite enjoyed it.
It dosn't have the instant appeal of Hot Fuss as far as catchy radio-friendly songs are concerned, which will annoy 'top of the pops' fans but it's still a well crafted album.
Overall Sam's Town sounds more experimental and a bit odd in parts - I think it's one of those albums that will get better the more time you give it.
Don't throw your copy away just yet *unique* - give it another chance ;)
'Too many guitar lessons lead to jazz fusion!'
- Humphrey B Flaubert

thehenderson
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by thehenderson »

That song of theirs "he doesn't look a thing like jesus" is excellent. Their rendition on the MTV music awards of it was amazing, so so heavy and epic and good. I bought the album and it is very vocals and keyboards led. Found this a little disapointing. Some really good tracks on it though, I think the killers do pop well

jimi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 845 times
Been liked: 359 times

Post by jimi »

Co-incidentally I put hot fuss in the car this morning to listen to, hadn't put it on for a few months and thoroughly enjoyed it once again. Aside from strong vocals and keys (as you'd expect with them claiming New Order as a big influence) I've been enjoying the bass playing which really sets the rythm, rather than humming guitar lines or vocal melodys I've been bopping my head to the basslines ever since I left the car this morning..

Haven't heard any of their new stuff yet, so I'll reserve judgement till I do.

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

recycledpet wrote:I've been enjoying the bass playing which really sets the rythm, rather than humming guitar lines or vocal melodys I've been bopping my head to the basslines ever since I left the car this morning...
YEah, the bass and drums on Hot Fuss are great. That mix n match style of drumming in All These Things is so cool.

thehenderson, that song is the single When You Were Young - simply epic as you say - awesome.

C^8 - I've listened to it about 4 times now, and there some songs with some merit. I guess my views have been based on expectation of something in the Hot Fuss vein...the new album seems to be missing some melodies set against minor/majopr progression which they did so well first time. It now rambles with major/major and no melody strung between. The songs also don't take you on any journey - they start...and well, finish...but you didn't go anywhere.

As a comment, an album I can't stop listening to is Pearl Jam! Wow. Album of the year for me so far.

thehenderson
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by thehenderson »

I was listening to hot fuss as well the other day, I liked a few of the tracks, but alot of it is very bright, I prefered the darker tracks

That bass player's a real character, even if he is visualy a carbon copy of the strokes bass player