robnobcorncob
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 122 times
Been liked: 103 times

Powderfinger & Silverchair with Autozamm

Post by robnobcorncob »

Well, what a night! saw these 3 last nite at the TSB bank arena [formerly Queens Wharf Events centre for those of you living under a rock]. Autozamm were excellent, I knew they'd be good, i didn't think they'd be THAT good. Wow.

Powderfinger did their usual thing, their songs come off really well live and evenone was singing along. Guitarists had some sweeeet axes too, i spotted a 60's telecaster [seafoam green] a Grestch Chet Atkins country gentlman I think? a '70s strat [3 bolt neck plate] 70's telecaster custom [ditto] and the mandatory Maton acoustic. Other guitarist had a Gibbo ES-335 [verrrry shiny!] a telecaster, an ancient Maton semi-hollow from the 60's that had alot of paint missing, and a Maton acoustic. Bernard fannning played acoustic on alot of songs.

Silverchair were great, not as good as powderfinger [not as easy to pull off these kinda songs live IMHO but when they work they're brilliant] Daniel Johns had his PRS custom 24 with the stickers all over it [again, he's had it for atleast a decade, it used to belong to Page Hamilton of Helmet] aswell as the black Les Paul custom, 2x '70s telecaster deluxes, Rickenbacker 330/12 for 'The Greatest View'

Johns' amp tone was utter shite i thought. Soldano's are great but his tone didn't do them justice. Powderfinger guitarist #1 [left..] had a Hiwatt Custom 20 head w/ Marshall 2x12 cab and an AC30, guitarist #2 (right..) had an AC30 and some fender ".... sonic" head with a marshall 4x10".

Anyone else go along? I was in the second row, stupid 20-something yr old females were drunk and putting themselves in danger of getting crushed. Idiots

angry_young_poet
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 14 times

Post by angry_young_poet »

i wanted to go. although i've watched silverchair ages ago but haven't kept up with their new songs since the "freak" days.

i've watched autozamm from the uni days, they are a good band.

Timi
Gibson

Post by Timi »

So these bands don't have bass players? :lol:

stuu
PRS McCarty
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by stuu »

i was at the vector arena show in the General Admission.

Silverchair took it for me. i had toilet paper stuffed in my ears as i'd been in too much of a rush to remember my earplugs, but i thought the array of tones (both with the aid of the paper, and without) was great. i'd severely underrated Johns as a guitar player. and was gagging to try get a shot of his pedalboard after the show. evidently he must have had at least a DD-20 or DL-4... or some other preset-based delay pedal given the amount of delay noise and tweaking in song outro sections, but the rest i'll have to google.

liked that the show included Isreals son, i felt 14 all over again.

\some self-indulgant ego-stroking moments, but lets face it if i were that popular i'd be far worse.

good times. very impressed.

oh, the Girlfriend thought Powderfinger were great. not my cup of MOR adult-contempo-rock tea though.

Jenesis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Jenesis »

Timi wrote:So these bands don't have bass players? :lol:
I think they ditched them so they could spend more on Teles, Gretsches and other geezer gear. ;)

robnobcorncob
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 122 times
Been liked: 103 times

Post by robnobcorncob »

Agreed regarding the delay, I wasn't a fan on his dirty Soldano tone though. Not enough mids and too much gain! I thought he was using a fuzz factory because his knob-twiddling seemed reminiscent of Matt Bellamy [muse] does live. I saw a Boss GE-7 and two remote switches that were either to trigger the delay or to channel switch the Soldano [only 1 was on, the 2nd was a backup]