bobiron
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 121 times
Been liked: 51 times

We will Rock You Musical (Auckland)

Post by bobiron »

I am going along to this tonight and was wondering if anyone else is planning to go tonight or in the future? I will post some thoughts about it over the week end.
OMM OM MM OMM MM

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

I would if they were in Chch when I was around, and when I had money. And obviously if it's any good. I'm a huge Queen fan.
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

crushing day
The Mystical Potato Head

Post by crushing day »

I would like to go .. give us a report once you have seen it :)
what we've got here is failure to communicate... some men you just can't reach

bobiron
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 121 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by bobiron »

I am not going to cover what the musical is about, there is plenty of info about that on th net, re the story etc. See this site for an outline.

http://www.queenonline.com/wewillrockyou/

The songs played were:

Act 1
Radio Ga Ga
I want to break free
Somebody to love
Killer Queen
Now I'm Here
Under Pressure
Its a kinda magic
I want it all
Headlong
No one but you
Crazy little thing called love

Act 2
One vision
Who wants to live forever
Flash
The seven seas of rye
Fat bottom girls
Don't stop me now
Another one bites the dust
Hammer to fall
These are the days of our lives
We will rock you
We are the champions
Bohemain Rhapsody

This was staged at the Auckland Civic theatre, our seats were in upstairs in the middle of the middle roughly. We came away totally satisfied with this production and were enthralled with the story, the sets, the dialog and yes the music oh the music was absolutely fantastic. The band was amazing: 3 keys, 2 guitars, drums, bass and percussion delivered a full sound as you would expect...this is rock, not some piano recital. The production was clear and at times very loud. Sometimes the vocals were overpowered by the band sound and the clarity of words was shrouded by the heavy drums, bass and guitars. That is my only criticism on the sound production ... but this a common problem I believe with so many productions. I call this a modern production disease. Personally I like strong clear vocals. The guitar sound was typical Brian May tone right from the first note. Both guitarists played the Brain May models (apparently available from http://www.globeinc.co.nz, this site is bare bones and has no pricing,pics etc). Never saw any amps as the band were hidden away most of time above the stage, but you can bet they were Vox somethings. The tone was the unmistakable thick rich and trademark Vox sound, I loved it every minute of it. The 2 guitar players in the band are Rowan Stuart (23) and Ryno Zeelie(21) both South Africans and they were like the twin Brian's, bloody awesome is all I can say. If you like this kinda of music and are a fan of Queen you need to see this show, hell any music lover should see it. I think it will be a classic in time, it has an interesting story, fab set design, engaging dialogue and a seamless interweaving of Queens great songs throughout. I highly recommend this to all who like to rock.
OMM OM MM OMM MM

Ibanezdude
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Ibanezdude »

I saw this show in Aussie, it was THE BEST musical i've ever seen, no doubt about it!
A girl phoned me the other day and said, "Come on over, theres nobody home". I went over, nobody was home.

sambrowne
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sambrowne »

With a name like Ryno Zeelie how could you NOT be a kick ass guitarist?