hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 638 times
Been liked: 807 times

Split Enz

Post by hamo »

Did anyone else see them this week? I went in Wellington on Tuesday. Damn these guys have still got it. My review (gosh that sounds wanky) is on my blog:

http://letsblogitout.wordpress.com/2008 ... ess-class/
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

Clarky
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 2 times

Re: Split Enz

Post by Clarky »

I last saw them about 15 years ago, and they were awesome then too. :D

Nicely blogged too.
Konx om Pax

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by hamo »

Clarky wrote:I last saw them about 15 years ago, and they were awesome then too. :D

Nicely blogged too.
Cheers! 8)

Marshall
Fender
Fender

Post by Marshall »

Yep, I went to the Wellington one as well, It was excellent. I've got the Live in Melbourne DVD of this tour and it was just as good if not better :D

Edit: Just actually read your blog. I couldn't agree more about the venue\seats. I bought my girlfriend a wine and it cost $7 and they also took the top off my water as well...weird. Our seats were up in the stall area in the corner and weren't the best. I bought them off Ticketek and they have no indication of where they were. I was down in front of the stage there when I went to see John Fogerty and was a bit disappointed when I got in there and saw our seats. A guy next to us had a big moan to someone and got moved :roll:
Grind 'til your neighbours go blind

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by hamo »

Marshall wrote:Yep, I went to the Wellington one as well, It was excellent. I've got the Live in Melbourne DVD of this tour and it was just as good if not better :D

Edit: Just actually read your blog. I couldn't agree more about the venue\seats. I bought my girlfriend a wine and it cost $7 and they also took the top off my water as well...weird. Our seats were up in the stall area in the corner and weren't the best. I bought them off Ticketek and they have no indication of where they were. I was down in front of the stage there when I went to see John Fogerty and was a bit disappointed when I got in there and saw our seats. A guy next to us had a big moan to someone and got moved :roll:
It didn't help our cause that the guy in front of use was a giant. Fortunately he was the first to head to the aisle for a boogie, but then everyone got up and moved around, so our view didn't improve. :(

thehenderson
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by thehenderson »

hamo wrote:Did anyone else see them this week? I went in Wellington on Tuesday. Damn these guys have still got it. My review (gosh that sounds wanky) is on my blog:

Nice review, and really cool looking art there at the top!

Lawrence
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 605 times

Post by Lawrence »

Intersting read....heres my take on the Christchurch Show.

First up...support. Acknowledging Hamo had a family engagement :wink: - but in general it bugs me when people arrive late and dont accord the support band due respect...Ive been to about a dozen major concerts in the last 12 months and at everyone people arrived late and talked through the support.........

anyway, Phoenix Foundation write good songs, arrange them well and play and sing well...but personally I dont like the ego trip that says "we dont have to put on a show cos we are so cool..." ..maybe they have a minimalist ethos...maybe play the cd and use cardboard cutouts.....
:P that should get a response!!

Now Split Enz...we all know the songs and arrangements are great....Eddie Kramer and the new drummer were superb, as was Tims piano playing, and all the vocals. Neil is a reasonable rhythm player and plays tight - always in support of the song but...I wish he would spend a bit more time getting the articulation of his solos better..(thats just an old rocker talking - take no notice :oops: )

The bass sound bothered me a lot. In fact the whole bottom end was odd....like the low mids and subs were set up in another room. There was plenty of it, but it lacked distinction. The kik, the bass guitar and the bottom of the piano were all wooly and ill defined...whereas the mids and tops sounded great...vocals were crisp and not too effected.

And it wouldnt be me if I didnt have a point of view about seating and standing etc. My wife is 5 foot 6. Not especially short but not tall. Coupled with an absolute desire to hear the sound in the near (or at least mid) field, I always pay the premium to get seats with a good view and where the sound (should be) good. So it peeves me when people who buy cheap tickets are allowed to invade the front, forcing the front seats to stand up....forcing us to stand up, and making my wife have to listen to the concert while staring at someones back.

Fortunatley at this show the frequent slower songs meant people sat occassionally and we got to enjoy a view from time to time...

Overall it was great, in fact Shari said she enjoyed it the most of all the shows we have heard (and partly seen ) in the last year. :shock: - I think thats the eighties party girl coming out 8) ..

my2c...well 10c
GrantB wrote:
“You might be cool, but you’ll never be playing a white Steinberger through a JC120, wearing a white jumpsuit with white shoes and sporting a mullet cool”.

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by hamo »

thehenderson wrote:
hamo wrote:Did anyone else see them this week? I went in Wellington on Tuesday. Damn these guys have still got it. My review (gosh that sounds wanky) is on my blog:

Nice review, and really cool looking art there at the top!
Thanks, but I can't take credit for anything more than finding it on the internet. I really love that pic though, it stirs up a bunch of ideas for me.

Lawrence - I'm only half an inch taller than your wife, and my wife's 5'3"-ish, so we were in the same boat. I really thing they should have had floor standing only and seats around the side. And you nailed it regarding the bass and kick sounds. They were a tad overbearing in the up-tempo numbers. Also, I wore earplugs - might have been unnecessary, but my ears were still tender from Ozzy... :oops:

thehenderson
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by thehenderson »

Lawrence wrote:anyway, Phoenix Foundation write good songs, arrange them well and play and sing well...but personally I dont like the ego trip that says "we dont have to put on a show cos we are so cool..." ..maybe they have a minimalist ethos...maybe play the cd and use cardboard cutouts.....
:P that should get a response!!
I saw them play the other month at this festival called Camp A Low Hum, and they were by far the biggest 'rock stars' of the whole festival, and I don't mean that in a good way!

They said stuff like "who's ready to rock!" and "are you ready for this mind fuck!" while putting their hands in the air. Yeah, it was cringe worthy as. Very self indulgent band, going from that performance. Plus they played the mandatory encore (aaahhh I hate that!)

Haha, ok rant over