jennz
Stagg
Stagg
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 14 times

Re: Swapping different fretted necks on a Start

Post by jennz »

murky wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 1:18 pm Something to also be aware of - clearance under a 22nd fret overhang may vary, especially if mixing different brands - there may not be enough clearance for a thicker pickguard to fit under.
Swimming pool rout for sure. Hell to playing Eb

jennz
Stagg
Stagg

Post by jennz »

NippleWrestler wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 11:42 am The necks are all the same size (if from the same manufacturer, but even then it will only vary slightly), but the overhang differs. A 24 fret fingerboard will encroach into the neck pickup's region unless you move it.

images (2).jpeg
Do not think I would attempt that. Fooling around with the neck pocket not for me !

jennz
Stagg
Stagg

Post by jennz »

murky wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 1:18 pm Something to also be aware of - clearance under a 22nd fret overhang may vary, especially if mixing different brands - there may not be enough clearance for a thicker pickguard to fit under.
I certainly agree.

jennz
Stagg
Stagg

Post by jennz »

olegmcnoleg wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 9:59 am
robthemac wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 9:22 am
jennz wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 9:07 am I am interested to know any views on exchanging different numbered fretted necks ( 21,22 and 24 ) on different stratocaster body's . Like, irrespective of the existing setup, can it be possible to do this with or without moving the bridge position ? :?
Interesting question. The scale lengths would presumably be the same, but to compensate for the extra frets, the neck pocket must sit a few cm closer to the bridge, right? So 21st fret (for example) would be a fixed distance from the bridge.

Edit: actually don't 22 fret necks just have a little less dead space between the final fret and the end of the fretboard? So would imagine it's fine to switch between 22 and 21. But 24 must have a difference in the neck pocket location.
21 and 22 fret necks typically have the same scale length, A 24 fret neck on a Strat will I think require some accommodation, as (at the regular scale length of 25.5") the fretboard would impinge on the neck pickup. I think that is the major reason we see the 24 fret neck using different (shorter) scale length. A shorter length also usually requires a different bridge position... though I think Warmoth make a 24 fret neck that is a direct bold on replacement for a Strat. Not sure how long that is...
Yes it seems that the 24 is the tricky one to handle.

jennz
Stagg
Stagg

Post by jennz »

Actually I believe with a 24 and just about any hardtailed stat body it becomes a breeze if the neck can be fitted OK ?

murky
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 299 times

Post by murky »

codedog wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 1:33 pm
You beat me to it... discovered this with my 22 fret Warmoth neck and AliExpress pickguard. It's generally not an issue, fitted just fine. It's only an issue when I don't want to take strings off to take the pickguard out. I could do that just fine with thinner pickguards.
What was your body? Was the pick-guard 3 ply?

I encountered it with a Warmoth neck & MJT body. Thinner 1-ply black pick-guard fitted under fine, but 3-ply wouldn't.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3528 times
Been liked: 1098 times

Post by codedog »

murky wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 4:52 pm
codedog wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 1:33 pm
You beat me to it... discovered this with my 22 fret Warmoth neck and AliExpress pickguard. It's generally not an issue, fitted just fine. It's only an issue when I don't want to take strings off to take the pickguard out. I could do that just fine with thinner pickguards.
What was your body? Was the pick-guard 3 ply?

I encountered it with a Warmoth neck & MJT body. Thinner 1-ply black pick-guard fitted under fine, but 3-ply wouldn't.
MIM body, but can't remember the pickguard... I have to go check. I think it's a 3-ply mint. It's a tight fit.