Rickys and Smiths...

Pickups, Pots, Caps, Wiring

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Tsuken
In the Name of Vai
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Post by Tsuken »

But it must be better. If Ed Roman couldn't have made it better, he wouldn't have bothered to make it at all. ;)

What gets me is not so much the idea that a guitar could be better than a Fender, but rather his overwhelming arrogance - and the charming way he has a quote from himself (with attribution) on his own website :lol:

He's a funny man, Mr Roman :D
My twitting tweets of twitterness

@ash lol/RT "@ChelseaVPeretti Had fun in the Cinema Tent tonight w @adultswim @robcorddry #bonnaroo #fonz #hottubtimemachineintonationjokes #childrenshospital #mud #pee" //by @Jenesis

Here be bloggins

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

Hah, I didn't notice the little "Roman" decal on it until you mentioned... And I was just looking at Roman's Ricky page a few minutes ago.
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by ash »

I couldn't resist the opportunity to waste some time on paint shop, so here's a few pictures of what was in my head...

The black one started from a 620 picture, and would be the bells and whistles version.

The walnut one started from a 650 Dakota pic and would be the simplified, no frills, oil finished version.

Maybe later in the year they will become a reality... unless someone wants to play the GAS card now ;)
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

philipnz
PRS
PRS
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 39 times

Post by philipnz »

They look cool

John Hall would object to the first one, the second I'm not so sure. I've had email discussions with him in the past. He gives no quarter on ric copies. He has every copy listed on ebay withdrawn from sale even if its just been made for someones own use.
Never put down to malice what can adequately be explained by stupidity

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by ash »

Yeah, I respect his ownership of the trademarks, so in reality they wouldn't look quite as close as the mock-ups above do. You get that when more than half of the image is actually a real rickenbacker! :D

Then of course there the fact that his trademarks probably don't restrict me as long as I don't sell them in the US where his TM is registered. I noticed a Tokai 330 ripoff in a UK website while I was looking for pictures too.

But thats all a bit premature anyway. I only have two chopped up images for now!

B45-12
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by B45-12 »

Think you've got competition Ash as the Maton people have put out a mastersound 12 with a partially hollow body. Did not dare try it ($2,200 in Musicworks Wellington) as wife would probably beat me to death.

One thing I'd urge (I have Ricky 610/12) is to put in a full 12 string bridge so all the strings can be fully compensated - the 6 string ones used on 12's are sometimes way out on the D and G string octaves up the neck.
You can't do THAT on stage!

philipnz
PRS
PRS
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 39 times

Post by philipnz »

That Maton looks really nice. But how about this for about $750 landed?

White one for us blokes (or pink for Rog)

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by ash »

The Daisy Rock's look cool, but in reality, they're not that flash. The maton, on the other hand is a really nice guitar. I played with one at the music expo last year. The look is an acquired taste as with many Maton electrics, but definitely something to learn from...

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

Phillip - it'd clash with my shirt and my lipstick, ducky...
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...