Restoring LP Custom-Need advice on parts

Pickups, Pots, Caps, Wiring

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Veraxitas Sales
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Restoring LP Custom-Need advice on parts

Post by Veraxitas Sales »

I am restoring a 1996 Epi LP Custom. It has worn gold hardware now. I want to replace the bridge, tailpiece, tuners, etc with "Black" hardware. I need advice as to where is the best place (On-Line) to get aftermarket parts, and some suggestions on brands. Should I only get Genuine Gibson or are there other quality companies that make bridges, etc? Also, if a place says that a part fits "Gibson LP" should I assume it will also fit my Epiphone LP? Thx for any help

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

I generally try Parts is Parts first. I've found them very reasonable for such items.

http://www.guitar-parts.com/content/est ... Bass+Parts
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

Epiphone and Gibson parts are not neccesarily interchangeable. You'll need to check, especially with the bridge unit as to whether it will fit your Epiphone. Tailpeices and tuners are more standardised, but the tuners will need to be the same type; pressed-in bush (Kluson type tuners) or screw-in bush (Grover type). Yours are probably Grovers being a custom.

Brands to go for are Gotoh or Schaller for premium quality. Gotoh has the edge in tuner lifespan and price, usually. Grover locking tuners are not bad. Tonepros are very good but hideously overpriced.

Since you're over that way, WDMusic.com and Warmoth.com would be the places to start.

If you just want the colour change without a quality upgrade, try guitarpartsusa.com.
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

Red Fred
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Red Fred »

I have been wondering this for a while, does someone make locking Kluson tuners?
I wouldn't mind putting locking tuners on my Tokai but like the look of the Klusons it has.

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by ash »

Yes, Gotoh do the best locking Kluson style tuners out there. I think they would be about $90-$100 a set and would last forever compared to real made in the UsofFack'nA Klusons. They would take a while to get though, since they have to be ordered from Japan.

Wilkinson do a standard quality one, but I don't know where to order less than 100 sets of those!
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

DBM Music

Post by DBM Music »

Hey Guys.

If you want anything of WD Music Products i am the man, i am there distributor here in New Zealand.
We offer the same price as the USA dollor plus freight.

1996 Epi Les Paul, does it play well? I know some people don't like those Ibanez version of Les Paul but i got one. We had an old guitar case we used to lug it around in. One day that broke while we was walking down the road and the guitar fell on the road. The guitar is really wasted now, lol. But we are getting the parts in to fix it and sending it to ash to get a paint job and to set it up for us.

i guess with guitars its a love thing.

oh yeah my email dbmmusic@xtra.co.nz if you want anything.

Red Fred
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Red Fred »

Ash I'm after the Keystone head tuners to keep with the current ones I have right now. I have yet to find the Keystone tuners that lock, only the typical gotoh silver ones....

This style but locking...

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by ash »

Yes, I can get them for you. I'll find out the price and wait and PM you.